Nazem kadri

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I would normally say his upside is something like 25-45-70

BUT, biggest possible upside, everything going right for him....Career year type of deal...

maybe 30 goals, 55-60 assists...

BadHammy*

I would normally say his upside is something like 25-45-70

BUT, biggest possible upside, everything going right for him....Career year type of deal...

maybe 30 goals, 55-60 assists...

I think so too. He is a nice 2-way playmaker type.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
~20/~40 for ~60 Points per year makes alot of sense to me. Add a couple of career caliber years for around 70-80 points.

BadHammy*

I'd go about 5-10 points lower for both career and average.

I disagree. I see him being a nice, consistent 2nd line center or a meh 1st liner. I think it may depend a lot on who his wingers are tho.

Patrick96

May 22, 2008
Toronto
With Nazem, his upside is tremendous. It's really difficult to even guess what his potential could be because of this tremendous upside coupled with the fact that he may be a bust. I will give you my opinion though and go as far as saying that Nazem could become a 30g/60a-90pt kinda guy who, despite his small-ish frame, brings alot of tenacity to the rink. Reality is he may also never crack the top-6 and just be an AHL call-up throughout his career if his development dwindles.

BadHammy*

With Nazem, his upside is tremendous. It's really difficult to even guess what his potential could be because of this tremendous upside coupled with the fact that he may be a bust. I will give you my opinion though and go as far as saying that Nazem could become a 30g/60a-90pt kinda guy who, despite his small-ish frame, brings alot of tenacity to the rink. Reality is he may also never crack the top-6 and just be an AHL call-up throughout his career if his development dwindles.

So I guess we have two camps on this, 1) pure boom or bust with high reward (majority) and 2) my own view, he's likely to make it in the NHL as a 2nd or possibly 3rd liner.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Yea, and Jordan Eberle's peak is 25-25:naughty: You see where I'm going with this?

eh, it's not that far off. Obviously that wouldn't be his PEAK. But I don't agree he's the type of guy who could put up 90+. I see him being a 20-25 goal scorer. Maybe 50-60 points a year on average.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
The key for Kadri is the desire to succeed. Anyone who has watched him play knows he has all the innate talent in the world, on par with even the likes of Duchene and Taveres, but questions dealing with motivation often come up.

He is much too talented to be a bust but the real issue is will he ever reach is potential of an offensive star in the NHL.

Patrick96

May 22, 2008
Toronto
eh, it's not that far off. Obviously that wouldn't be his PEAK. But I don't agree he's the type of guy who could put up 90+. I see him being a 20-25 goal scorer. Maybe 50-60 points a year on average.

Honestly, I'm a Leaf fan who asserted Kadri as a mediocre player, even at his full potential. I just "saw" him as a decent second liner, definately not a player the Leafs desperately need, a player that could carry a team offensively. Now I will admit that I'm nothing more than an "arm-chair GM" but after watching Kadri highlights and reading other reviews I can see that the potential to be a player the opposition focuses on, the potential to be the player who can use his speed and stick-handling abilities to open up other portions of the ice for his line-mates is there.
Kadri also strikes me as the kind of player that had to over-come larger hurdles than other players in order to get where he is. A player who had always been undermined and considered a risk. This is no different playing in Toronto and I expect Kadri to overcome further obstacles, like he did to be considered a top-10 pick, and become a very good player. :D

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Honestly, I'm a Leaf fan who asserted Kadri as a mediocre player, even at his full potential. I just "saw" him as a decent second liner, definately not a player the Leafs desperately need, a player that could carry a team offensively. Now I will admit that I'm nothing more than an "arm-chair GM" but after watching Kadri highlights and reading other reviews I can see that the potential to be a player the opposition focuses on, the potential to be the player who can use his speed and stick-handling abilities to open up other portions of the ice for his line-mates is there.
Kadri also strikes me as the kind of player that had to over-come larger hurdles than other players in order to get where he is. A player who had always been undermined and considered a risk. This is no different playing in Toronto and I expect Kadri to overcome further obstacles, like he did to be considered a top-10 pick, and become a very good player. :D

Seems like a good honest assessment of the kid.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

My main concern with Kadri is his hockey sense. I've seen a fair amount of him, and every time I've come away with the same concern.

He is obviously a great skater and he has great stickhandling ability, but he rarely creates offensive scoring chances with his decisions. He'll stickhandle through 2 defenders on the outside and instead of passing off or driving to the net, he'll turn off and try and stickhandle through a third defender, turning over the puck. And I don't think it's a show of selfish play, because he's actually a good playmaker capable of making quality passes. I think it's perhaps that lack of knowing when and how to make his teammates better. Some guys have it, some guys don't.

He's also currently only an effective "perimeter" player. Now I say that in a more non conventional way then you are used to hearing it. Nazem will go hard to the net, fight for loose pucks and occasionally play physical. So he's not a guy who's playing afraid on the perimeter. What I mean is that he's currently most effective on the perimeter. When he gets the puck, he seems to favor keeping it on the outside, trying to make moves. Instead of taking the puck hard to the net and attempting to get by defenders, he'll stickhandle near the boards or at the top of the circle. If you watch him play, every game he'll make at least 4-5 guys miss on the puck. The thing that concerns me is that none of those 4-5 guys are on the way to the net.

We'll see in about 5 years, but I just don't see the hockey IQ associated with a guy who can score 90 points, like some in this thread are suggesting.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
My main concern with Kadri is his hockey sense. I've seen a fair amount of him, and every time I've come away with the same concern.

He is obviously a great skater and he has great stickhandling ability, but he rarely creates offensive scoring chances with his decisions. He'll stickhandle through 2 defenders on the outside and instead of passing off or driving to the net, he'll turn off and try and stickhandle through a third defender, turning over the puck. And I don't think it's a show of selfish play, because he's actually a good playmaker capable of making quality passes. I think it's perhaps that lack of knowing when and how to make his teammates better. Some guys have it, some guys don't.

He's also currently only an effective "perimeter" player. Now I say that in a more non conventional way then you are used to hearing it. Nazem will go hard to the net, fight for loose pucks and occasionally play physical. So he's not a guy who's playing afraid on the perimeter. What I mean is that he's currently most effective on the perimeter. When he gets the puck, he seems to favor keeping it on the outside, trying to make moves. Instead of taking the puck hard to the net and attempting to get by defenders, he'll stickhandle near the boards or at the top of the circle. If you watch him play, every game he'll make at least 4-5 guys miss on the puck. The thing that concerns me is that none of those 4-5 guys are on the way to the net.
We'll see in about 5 years, but I just don't see the hockey IQ associated with a guy who can score 90 points, like some in this thread are suggesting.

I see a better skating, more physical version of Mike Ribiero.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
I don't think Kadri will be a huge goal scorer in the NHL. He'll have stats resembling Adam Oates many more assist then goals. They won't Oates like number they'll be much less.

Kadri will be a 15-20 goal guy and maybe 45-60 assists a year. But I think he'll be the player that is huge in the playoffs and you can send him out in important situation to take care of his own end and not worry.

Kadri will be better then Ribeiro.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

Nothing wrong with this if he comes to play every night. The description above sounds like somebody describing Alex Kovalev.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Does Kadri play wing at all?

I'm thinking if he and Bozak live up to their potential, they could be quite the dynamic duo.

Kadri could potentially be a elite playmaker... and seeing some of the passes he's made, I wouldn't be surprised... and Bozak is a scorer who is great at finding quiet areas behind the other team's defense... and both are solid defensively... at the very least, they can be a very solid 2nd line, with a Tlusty, Kulemin, or Stephanovic riding shotgun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad