Post-Game Talk: Nay, good sir: Post SERIES talk! Flames 7-4 Canucks

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
on the fan right now they are taking questions as to why this team beat vancouver.
Lot of good answer however one caller said Feaster's drafting.
Looking at the team there are more of Sutter draft picks on this group than that of Feasters.
For all the flack Darrly gets the mandate while he was with the flames was to win at all costs every year, despite that he still found some draft gems.

Feaster's drafting is not so much a factor on its own, but Feaster's overall contribution to this team includes:

-Hartley
-Hudler
-Monahan
-Gaudreau
-Russell
-Wideman
-Ramo
-Jones
-Colborne
-Jooris
-Granlund
-Wotherspoon

I'd say that contribution is more significant than Sutter's contributions:

-Backlund
-Ferland
-Brodie
-Stajan

That is arguably as significant as Treliving's contribution, which will grow over time:

-Hiller
-Bennett
-Bollig
-Engelland
-Schlemko
-Raymond

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
on the fan right now they are taking questions as to why this team beat vancouver.
Lot of good answer however one caller said Feaster's drafting.
Looking at the team there are more of Sutter draft picks on this group than that of Feasters.
For all the flack Darrly gets the mandate while he was with the flames was to win at all costs every year, despite that he still found some draft gems.

Honestly, I don't think you can ever look at a team as the sole GMs role. This team has moves from 3 separate GMs and all of them have key ingredients.

I mean, we forget Sutter was at the helm when we brought in Gio from the O... I mean, look how big that move was a decade ago.

I think that Treliving doesn't get enough credit. We keep hearing "Feater's team, Feaster's team"... but Brad could have easily come into our facility as GM, traded a bunch of guys and remade this team in his image. For every GM that stays the course there are the ones that have to make their moves (take a look at Pittsburgh).

He managed to not make any incredibly stupid deals, snag a good waiver player for free, get a good return for a lower end player and not spend money like it was going out of style. I like the direction of this team, drafting has been absolutely key.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Feaster's drafting is not so much a factor on its own, but Feaster's overall contribution to this team includes:

-Hartley
-Hudler
-Monahan
-Gaudreau
-Russell
-Wideman
-Ramo
-Jones
-Colborne
-Jooris
-Granlund
-Wotherspoon

I'd say that contribution is more significant than Sutter's contributions:

-Backlund
-Ferland
-Brodie
-Stajan

That is arguably as significant as Treliving's contribution, which will grow over time:

-Hiller
-Bennett
-Bollig
-Engelland
-Schlemko
-Raymond

that's fair however Sutter should have a smaller footprint not being at the helm for 6 years now already.
I think ferland was a Fester pick, but you could add Bouma (althogh not a factor in this series) was a sutter

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
that's fair however Sutter should have a smaller footprint not being at the helm for 6 years now already.
I think ferland was a Fester pick, but you could add Bouma (althogh not a factor in this series) was a sutter

Oh, right.

And I did intentionally leave out both Bouma and Giordano because the context was the factors which allowed us to beat Vancouver.

You are correct that it is to be expected that Sutter's footprint has faded over time. Those players that are his responsibility are great players, though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Ferland was picked in 2010, Sutter's last draft with the Flames. Feaster was the GM from the 2011 to 2013 drafts. But he largely let the scouting department take control, except for 2012 when Wiesbrod was front and centre.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Ferland was picked in 2010, Sutter's last draft with the Flames. Feaster was the GM from the 2011 to 2013 drafts. But he largely let the scouting department take control, except for 2012 when Wiesbrod was front and centre.

You're right.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Honestly, I don't think you can ever look at a team as the sole GMs role. This team has moves from 3 separate GMs and all of them have key ingredients.

I mean, we forget Sutter was at the helm when we brought in Gio from the O... I mean, look how big that move was a decade ago.

I think that Treliving doesn't get enough credit. We keep hearing "Feater's team, Feaster's team"... but Brad could have easily come into our facility as GM, traded a bunch of guys and remade this team in his image. For every GM that stays the course there are the ones that have to make their moves (take a look at Pittsburgh).

He managed to not make any incredibly stupid deals, snag a good waiver player for free, get a good return for a lower end player and not spend money like it was going out of style. I like the direction of this team, drafting has been absolutely key.

I was thinking about this this morning too and that's pretty much the conclusion I came up with. Treliving could have easily dismantled what he was left with. I think most importantly, he stuck with Hartley who is very instrumental in this team's success and the development of players who are having career years. I am especially appreciative of Treliving keeping the course at the trade deadline and not dumping assets for a rental for that extra push to make the post season.

This year's team really is that "perfect storm" of all the right people coming into new peaks of their careers, timing, personalities and chemistry blending, guys stepping up to take on new roles, and everything else.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
By the way, during the second period when we kept icing the puck after we already took our timeout, Engelland was caught out there for a 3:22 shift. :amazed:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wotherspoon 3:16 says I just whooped your ass!!! :laugh:

Wother_316.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad