OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, 2019-2020, Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I watch a lot of college football and Perry is the most dynamic runner I've seen this year. Clearly he's not built to last but his lateral movement and agility is second to none. So happy for him and the team with their turnaround this year. Beat Notre Dame!

Yes he has been a joy to watch this season. And imagine if he was used this way last year instead of as a wing back?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Yes he has been a joy to watch this season. And imagine if he was used this way last year instead of as a wing back?

I think the issue last year was he wasn't totally comfortable at QB and he was looking over his shoulder every time he made a mistake. Zach Abey was a successful starter at QB before the coaching staff decided that Malcom needed the ball in his hands every offensive snap and I don't think Malcom ever felt really comfortable making the necessary reads and calls in the option offense. He also likely felt a bit out of place as a junior (former) slotback replacing a rising firstie at QB. Naming him the starting QB at the end of last season gave him about 9 months to prepare to be the starting QB as opposed to last year when the decision was made heading into summer camp.

Perry is doing great and the offense is clicking but the hire of Brian Newberry as DC this year also made a huge difference. Navy finished 103rd out of 130 FBS teams last year in yards allowed (426 yards allowed/game) and 86th in points scored (33.5 points allowed/game). I believe they're in the top 25 in both of those categories this year which is remarkable.

Navy has an internal goal of allowing the opposition only 6 possessions per game and if the offense keeps that promise and the defense can make stops on 4/6 possessions then they're a really hard team to beat. Really excited to see how they respond on Saturday as a ranked team playing another ranked team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its always a hoot to watch a big time NCAA college football program filled with NFL development programs have to face Navy. I have not watched a football game this year but will be watching this one.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Its always a hoot to watch a big time NCAA college football program filled with NFL development programs have to face Navy. I have not watched a football game this year but will be watching this one.

In fairness to Notre Dame they don't have to face Navy. They choose to. And the reason why they play Navy dates back to WWII. In a rush to educate and graduate more officers for the war the Navy enlisted the help of colleges and universities to train future officers. Notre Dame was one of them. On the flip side, with all the young people enlisting in the armed forces to fight the war colleges and universities were struggling to stay in business because of a lack of tuition, lack of students. Notre Dame in particular was in danger of folding and closing forever. By agreeing to educate and train officers for the Navy during WWII Notre Dame was able to stay open and survive. Ever since Notre Dame has felt they owed Navy a debt for saving the school.

There was talk in the media during the 80's, 90's and 00's up to 2007, when Navy finally beat Notre Dame for the first time in 43 years, to why Notre Dame kept playing Navy. The main reason was because Navy saved Notre Dame. Thats why, when you watch on Saturday, the Notre Dame football team and fans show a lot of respect towards Navy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In fairness to Notre Dame they don't have to face Navy. They choose to. And the reason why they play Navy dates back to WWII. In a rush to educate and graduate more officers for the war the Navy enlisted the help of colleges and universities to train future officers. Notre Dame was one of them. On the flip side, with all the young people enlisting in the armed forces to fight the war colleges and universities were struggling to stay in business because of a lack of tuition, lack of students. Notre Dame in particular was in danger of folding and closing forever. By agreeing to educate and train officers for the Navy during WWII Notre Dame was able to stay open and survive. Ever since Notre Dame has felt they owed Navy a debt for saving the school.

There was talk in the media during the 80's, 90's and 00's up to 2007, when Navy finally beat Notre Dame for the first time in 43 years, to why Notre Dame kept playing Navy. The main reason was because Navy saved Notre Dame. Thats why, when you watch on Saturday, the Notre Dame football team and fans show a lot of respect towards Navy.

Yea, to read the top here it sounds like Notre Dame saved Navy when it was the other way around. Notre Dame owes them.

How Navy saved Notre Dame after World War II – the team’s shared histories | IrishCentral.com

The games have been good the last 10 years or more. They are a treat

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Rendon with 1 first place vote is a joke. Anyway, him not winning will help the Nats in contract negotiations. ;)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Navy just got taken to the wood shed today. Notre Dame played damn near a perfect game and the Mids were behind the 8 ball before they knew what hit them by fumbling on their first two possessions. Before they could blink they were down 21-0. And for all of the defensive improvements they made they couldn't do a thing against Notre Dame. Even when they blitzed two or three guys they could never get home and Book had all day to just wait for his bigger, faster, stronger WRs get open. They did ok stopping the run but were powerless to even slow down Notre Dame's passing offense.

I get why Coach Ken deferred until the second half but I hate doing it against a team like Notre Dame. All it took was one drive and the Mids were playing from behind. They should have taken the ball and tried to grind out one of those 6-8 minute drives to put a little pressure on Notre Dame.

Oh well, still plenty to play for. They're still well in the hunt to win the AAC West (if Memphis would lose a game) with two big league games coming up against SMU and Houston. Then, of course, they can reclaim the CiC Trophy from Army for the first time in four years by nature of them already beating Air Force.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I looked forward to that game for 2 weeks. Its the first college game ive watched this year. turned it off at 14-0

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Good that the Nats won the WS. It would suck to have lost to Houston then see all this cheating crap and wondering.

You can clearly hear whistles against the Nats in the 2019 World Series:

Game 6
Bregman HR vs Strasburg

Game 7
Gurriel HR vs Scherzer

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Getting the tipped pitch makes the arrogant reaction by Bregman even more unreal. Menhart knew something was going on in G7 and Strasburg admitted they made some changes. I don't think we know all the changes.

The part that bothers me is how many people think Houston might have been the greatest team of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad