World Cup: National Team threads #2

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Romania pulling a Football Manager style move to cap tie him in meaningless games i respect it :laugh:

We got Sheffield's youngster Jebbison to commit this week so not all is lost.

I saw Jebbison against the german u19s and he looked interesting. Didn't lead to much until Arrey Mbi got subbed out, but he popped up a good bit in that match.

EDIT:
Speaking of german youth teams, our U21s just released their roster for this next international break; Dardai's kid will make his debut at this level:

Mbom/Massimo are a little blah at RB...both have talent, but feel more Henrichs/Weiser than Baku/Netz...Keitel is pretty meh too, as are Knauff, Bätzner, & Leweling; while none of the keepers are looking particularly impressive right now...Mantl had hype heading into the season but has been supplanted as Salzburg's starter.

But I like all 4 of those CBs; both Netz & Katterbach on the left; the trio of Stiller, Krauß, & Becker in the midfield; as well as the attacking depth that team has with Burkardt, Moukoko, Thielmann, Schade, and Shuranov.

Last edited:

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Emile Smith Rowe missing out on the England squad is a joke, but I get it. There’s a lot of competition in that area, even though guys like Mount and Grealish have been less productive.

Ben White and Fikayo Tomori missing out is absolutely ridiculous. They have been the nations best CBs this season. Mings and Coady has been picked over them, is that a joke? It’s probably a squad chemisty thing I guess. Coady and Mings are shit, but experienced and good locker room guys who have been in the squad a lot before.

They wasn't going to include ESR now at the last international break. Even though it probably would have been fair since he's been brilliant. I'd be happy for everyone of our players getting the chance to represent their country, but the selfish me do not want any injuries. White being injured on an international break would be a disaster.

Reactions: AB13

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Does he know Draxler is enjoying an early retirement in Paris?

I think it's more about making a show of giving everyone from previous generations a look under the new coach, while integrating more & more of our youth.

EDIT:
Under Jogi, a lot of players felt like they were ignored if they weren't part of Jogi's inner circle...some for valid reasons like Kiessling, some because Jogi was too lazy to integrate them like all of the U26ers except Kimmich. So Flick has been doing a lot to make guys feel included, even if they are more peripheral options like Nmecha or even non-options like Draxler.

Plus you never know if Draxler will suddenly start giving a shit for the NT, even if he still plays like a sunday-leaguer for PSG. Like, I doubt Kehrer's suddenly killing it in Paris this season...but he has formed a really good partnership with Sule for the NT and is suddenly looking like the talent Schalke sold for so much money way back when, once again...if only for the NT.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
See my previous post about Draxler & Flick not wanting as many players to feel left out, as there were under Jogi. So he's trying to make every possible candidate feel like part of the process, whether they're actually part of the plans, or not.

Even Weigl has started getting talked about as someone who might get a look from Flick soon...and he's just a less-talented-Neuhaus.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Draxler had a nice little jog last night at Bordeaux. Good for his health. Wasn't interested in what the other 21 players were doing though. Looked at them with surprise. "Why are they fighting for a ball, we're not dogs" he seemed to think. He did like the fact thousands came to see him jog though they were a little too loud to his liking.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Draxler had a nice little jog last night at Bordeaux. Good for his health. Wasn't interested in what the other 21 players were doing though. Looked at them with surprise. "Why are they fighting for a ball, we're not dogs" he seemed to think. He did like the fact thousands came to see him jog though they were a little too loud to his liking.
You laugh now, but when it turns out that over the past 5 years he has been saving all of his energy for winning the golden boot in Qatar, the last laugh will be Julian's.

Reactions: Evilo

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Krauß caught covid. I've been interested in getting a look at his replacement, Eric Martel, as I don't watch the U20s the way I do the U19s or U21s. Don't know much about him, but apparently, he has a very high ceiling in the new FM / FIFA games...so I'm curious if there's anything to that other than them not knowing much about german prospects.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After Süle's positive corona test; most of the Bayern block have had to go into quarantine...on top of Niklas, Kimmich, Gnabry, Musiala, & Adeyemi are now isolating. So Baku, Volland, & Arnold have been called into the team.

Wtf is going in that Bayern locker room? A couple of weeks ago we found out that Kimmich is unvaxxed, now Süle too? Are any of those idiots vaccinated?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
After Süle's positive corona test; most of the Bayern block have had to go into quarantine...on top of Niklas, Kimmich, Gnabry, Musiala, & Adeyemi are now isolating. So Baku, Volland, & Arnold have been called into the team.

Wtf is going in that Bayern locker room? A couple of weeks ago we found out that Kimmich is unvaxxed, now Süle too? Are any of those idiots vaccinated?
Is Sule unvaccinated or did he just contract it?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Is Sule unvaccinated or did he just contract it?

I'm not sure now. The first tweets I saw said that he's also unvaxxed, but the official tweets about it just say that he had a positive test and the other 4 were quarantined because of their contact with Niklas, though their tests were negative.

So maybe he wasn't as selfish as Kimmich is being...or maybe the DFB just doesn't want to make a big deal out of how many of that Bayern contingent have followed Kimmich's lead...

EDIT:
Gesundheitsamt ordnet Quarantäne für Nationalspieler an

So Süle is fully vaccinated & symptom free.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After Draxler apparently left a very strong impression in training (lol) he has had to pull out with injury. I know I was just joking about this...but he is following the script of a massive under-achiever who pulls a legendary WM out of his ass, only to go back to sucking for his club at the end of it, pretty faithfully thus far. :laugh:

Not sure I mentioned it previously, but Jonathan Tah has also been called up as a fill-in alongside Volland, Baku, & Nmecha.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
After Draxler apparently left a very strong impression in training (lol) he has had to pull out with injury. I know I was just joking about this...but he is following the script of a massive under-achiever who pulls a legendary WM out of his ass, only to go back to sucking for his club at the end of it, pretty faithfully thus far. :laugh:

Not sure I mentioned it previously, but Jonathan Tah has also been called up as a fill-in alongside Volland, Baku, & Nmecha.

Moukoko has an eye infection and had to leave the U21 camp. He never comes back healthy from international duty.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Gonna be intresting to see Serbia in WC.

Tadic - Vlahovic
Kostic - Gudelj - SMS - Grujić - Radonjić
Mitrovic - Nastastic - Milenkovic
Rajkovic

I would start with these players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad