Switzerland: National team discussion

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Solid game on Saturday afternoon, though I don't remember seeing such a weak Slovakian team.

I liked the idea of playing :eek::eek::eek::eek:i with Brunner on the power play, but I would have liked to see Gardner tried with them. I also think Vauclair made a good case for himself, he played like he wanted to prove he belongs with the NHL defensemen. Great game by Berra as well.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Svk has beaten NOR before although they had quite a strong roster with Thoresen, Zucarello and more. SVK surley didn't have their best roster, but Swi also played very solid and they just had no chance. If the lockout remains for the rest of the season we could see quite a similar roster at the WC, that would be great. Only some offensive additions (Wick, Ambühl, maybe Bürgler or Sprunger) and this would be a great team, probably the best team Switzerland ever had. With :eek::eek::eek::eek:i and Romy we now also have two offensive Centers whith a great potential, we were missing such players in the past.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There were also no players from teams which will play the Spengler Cup (Davos and Fribourg) in this selection. So Hofmann had no chance for any selection.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
True, I forgot about the Spengler cup issue.

Anyway, I don't expect Hoffmann to make the national team this year, there are just too many wingers ahead of him. If he continues to progress, I can see him become a regular next season already.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
We'll see, he's a talented guy and made some nice progress this year. I see Vermin ahead of him at the moment.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
...and now they are both, Vermin and Hofmann, on the roster...very well deserved.

Vermin, it's a pleasure how smart he plays, calm , soft hands, and makes nice plays all the time. Drafted or not, except from heavy injuries I can't see anything that should hinder him from having an NHL-Career.

Hofmann is the legit successor of Brunner when it comes to produce havoc in the opponents D, what a spectacular skater with fast hands, a nice wristshot and big heart. He still has to grow stronger and heavier, but when he continues to mature and to further develop his hockey I.Q.... I mean the sky is the limit... IMO he got the highest ceiling of all young swiss Attackers... (yeah, higher than Bärtschi or Nino), but probably won't come as close to his as some others come to theirs.

I heard some rumors, Sprunger gonna retire from National Team ( at least temporary). Does somebody else know more?
I think it's a very smart decision to skip international play this year. Trying to get through this season healthy. Giving his oftenly concussed head a chance to cure further. Making a solid buildup for the season, may even getting a bit stronger, and working on his on-ice self-protection skills:) ...and if everything works out fine, giving it another try at the Olympics in Sochii. He's too big of a factor in national hockey, that he should risk his health for a just-solid international-career.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i, finally starting to score. Have you seen his goal against Servette? to get the puck top-shelf with so little space and time to work with. Impressive.
One thing I've noticed while his first exposure on international level: Don't bring yourself into vulnerable positions, it's international play, just ask Sprunger! Against the Slovacs IIRC he made some dangerous plays. When you're standing half a meter away from the boards, head turned to the boards, be sure you got a very good stand, and be ready at least for a little impact from behind, when trying to play the puck, or you get destroyed against NA-Teams.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I heard some rumors, Sprunger gonna retire from National Team ( at least temporary). Does somebody else know more?

I've read he wants to skip national team play this season, and that he told Simpson about it last summer already. I guess he hasn't made any decision yet regarding next season.

It could be a risky move if he wants to go to Sochi. If Switzerland does well at the world championship, he may find himself out of the picture, although Simpson has shown that he likes to select players based on their form of the moment.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i, finally starting to score. Have you seen his goal against Servette? to get the puck top-shelf with so little space and time to work with. Impressive.
One thing I've noticed while his first exposure on international level: Don't bring yourself into vulnerable positions, it's international play, just ask Sprunger! Against the Slovacs IIRC he made some dangerous plays. When you're standing half a meter away from the boards, head turned to the boards, be sure you got a very good stand, and be ready at least for a little impact from behind, when trying to play the puck, or you get destroyed against NA-Teams.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i has shown some good things lately. Early in the season I was afraid he wouldn't be able to replicate his performances from last season, but as you point out, he seems to have learn one thing or two.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I've read he wants to skip national team play this season, and that he told Simpson about it last summer already. I guess he hasn't made any decision yet regarding next season.
Thx. He does the right thing IMO. He always seemed to be a smart and well-spoken player...

It could be a risky move if he wants to go to Sochi. If Switzerland does well at the world championship, he may find himself out of the picture, although Simpson has shown that he likes to select players based on their form of the moment.

...and that's definitely the risk. like "We medaled without Julien last WHC... no reason to change a winning team".... I'd like the headlines very much:)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i has shown some good things lately. Early in the season I was afraid he wouldn't be able to replicate his performances from last season, but as you point out, he seems to have learn one thing or two.

Same with me, I've seen most home games. There were times this season he seemed to have lost the calm in decision making he showed last spring, plus a lot of swiss D have recognized that he loves to pass the puck 11 out of 10 times, so they give him space to shoot but not to pass. So it's a good sign when he makes goals, he seems to adapt... (and getting some passing space back soon)

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
...and that's definitely the risk. like "We medaled without Julien last WHC... no reason to change a winning team".... I'd like the headlines very much:)

I can see that headline already: "Switzerland upsets host Sweden when a late long distance shot by last minute addition Reto Von Arx bounced off Tommy Salo's head straight into the net. Simpson to confirm whole team for Sochi with Paul DiPietro the only possible addition". :laugh:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If everyone is healthy I cannot see Julien getting a roster-spot for Sotchi anyway.

Vermin is sick, I cannot understand why he didn't get drafted. Surely, he's small, but he's so good. He'll be on the IHWC-team. :eek::eek::eek::eek:i probably also already has his ticket, we're still very short on good Centers.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I can see that headline already: "Switzerland upsets host Sweden when a late long distance shot by last minute addition Reto Von Arx bounced off Tommy Salo's head straight into the net. Simpson to confirm whole team for Sochi with Paul DiPietro the only possible addition". :laugh:

:laugh:

I'd skip Di Pietro, and take M.Jenni instead. Having him and von ARx on the team should help acclimate in Sotchii. (thanx to their large experience with "white russians")

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
If everyone is healthy I cannot see Julien getting a roster-spot for Sotchi anyway.

First I'd like to see if he can improve his physics during the off-season.
I do agree that once he lost his confidence on intern. level, he's been pretty useless in big games in the past. Nevertheless against lesser competition he had some nice games before. And with a Centerman, capable of making his plays on internat. level, he still could have an important role on NT. But competition is definitely getting tougher for rosterspots on the wing.

Vermin is sick, I cannot understand why he didn't get drafted. Surely, he's small, but he's so good. He'll be on the IHWC-team. :eek::eek::eek::eek:i probably also already has his ticket, we're still very short on good Centers.

The draft is way overrated IMO.

I'd prefer to get a roster spot in NA, when my acctual play is regarded to be good enough by the managers. So you don't get rushed to the NHL, cause they overrated you at the draft, and now have to backup their decision... plus you can choose your team at your will,and don't end up in a lousy, tanking franchise.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Rangers having an intense look at Vermin, I just read. Swiss scout Thomas Roost tweeted some time ago that scouts are quite high on Vermin and Andrighetto.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Rangers having an intense look at Vermin, I just read. Swiss scout Thomas Roost tweeted some time ago that scouts are quite high on Vermin and Andrighetto.

Nice to hear.. was expecting some interest from NY... just from an other franchise.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Scherwey replacing Savary for this week.

Very interesting roster, Vermin, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Scherwey, Bykov, Pestoni, Sciaroni, Hofmann, Simek, Kukan and Wellinger. I like that and hope they'll impress. Some great players which could dominate Swiss icehockey in the next decade.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So we're one year from Sotchi and it's very probable that we'll see NHL-players over there.

So what does your roster look like?

Goalies:
Hiller starter, behind I see Berra, Stephan and maybe still Martin Gerber. It'd be a great finish for his career and also a nice gesture to him (if he still has the level which is undoubtful for me).

Defence:
4 NHL-regulars are a lock: Streit, Sbisa, Josi, Diaz. Weber needs to get play-time. Behind that we have some players with a lot of routine, Du Bois, Blindenbacher, Von Gunten and Furrer and some young guns, Blum, Kukan who is my favourite and some others.
I'd guess we see: Streit, Josi, Sbisa, Diaz, Weber, Von Gunten, Du Bois.

Offence:
Center: Romy is our best Center, Plüss will get another shot, I'm quite sure. For the 4th line I can see Trachsler or Savary, for the 3th line :eek::eek::eek::eek:i.

Wings: Brunner, Bärtschi, Nino, Wick are our wingers for the top-lines. Simon Moser needs to get (and stay) healthy, then he also gets his spot. Hollenstein is also a very probable selection. So we just have two free wings, Rüthemann as 4th liner, maybe. Ambühl will surley get a spot but I don't really know where to place him. :)

All in all it'll be the best Swiss hockey-team ever, no question, and I just hope everyone stays healthy.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Goalies:
Hiller starter, behind I see Berra, Stephan and maybe still Martin Gerber. It'd be a great finish for his career and also a nice gesture to him (if he still has the level which is undoubtful for me).

Hiller and Stephan are probable. Gerber is ahead of the rest based on current play, but Berra or Genoni have still time to outplay him. I guess it will depend on what they can show at this year's world championship and next season as well (don't forget that there is an almost full regular season to be played before the OG).

Defence:
4 NHL-regulars are a lock: Streit, Sbisa, Josi, Diaz. Weber needs to get play-time. Behind that we have some players with a lot of routine, Du Bois, Blindenbacher, Von Gunten and Furrer and some young guns, Blum, Kukan who is my favourite and some others.
I'd guess we see: Streit, Josi, Sbisa, Diaz, Weber, Von Gunten, Du Bois.

Agree about your locks, and Blinderbacher should make it as well. I'm not convinced by Du Bois, but Simpson seems to like him, and Von Gunten played poorly in Helsinki. Kukan is interesting, but I guess it will be too early. Grossman and Hirschi are interesting possibilities, and I'd bet than an older guy (Seger, Vauclair, Bezina) will make it.

Offence:
Center: Romy is our best Center, Plüss will get another shot, I'm quite sure. For the 4th line I can see Trachsler or Savary, for the 3th line :eek::eek::eek::eek:i.

Romy and Plüss should make it. Regarding :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, hard to predict without seeing what he can at the international level. I guess we'll see in May.

Then there is Ambühl who usually plays as a center for the national team (expecting Duga to comment here :D)

Wings: Brunner, Bärtschi, Nino, Wick are our wingers for the top-lines. Simon Moser needs to get (and stay) healthy, then he also gets his spot. Hollenstein is also a very probable selection. So we just have two free wings, Rüthemann as 4th liner, maybe. Ambühl will surley get a spot but I don't really know where to place him. :)

Hard to know where Bärtschi fits, he's never played for the national team and still has time to develop during the next year. Brunner and Wick are locks, Niederreiter could be used either as a scorer or a physical presence, depends on how he develops until then. I agree about Hollenstein, and don't forget Monnet who is having a fine season. What about Bürgler? And Stancescu in a defensive role? And Vermin?

Argh, this is hard.

primoremix

Dec 11, 2011
Lausanne
Guys, don't expect Simpson exclude all the vets. Rüthemann, Plüss, Monnet and Gardner are pretty much locks in offense. Vauclair, Seger and Bezina in defense. In Stavanger, it was obvious that Switzerland was too young. We need killers or some clever players who maybe don't have the biggest talent but a good hockey sense/reading.

doubleaxes

Nov 25, 2012
With 55 players tested 4 wins and 3 losses SIMPSON will have made his choice now:

IMHO Many people in Switzerland could have made this players list before any test game based on NLA. With a few exceptions but otherwise the core is to everybody's knowledge. why lose time and not practice always with the bests with a few changes.
Make a SWISS B team and let them play other tournament see what comes out and who can make it to A team. The A team should always be at the moment's possible best like in football.

Why it is not like this,is also to everybody knowledge: You can't indispose the clubs by taking their players for Skoda cup,Deutschland,Cup,Arosa Challenge,etc.. or how this imho insignificant tournament are called. You got the 7/8 games in April for the real preparation but even then some team are finishing PO.

Its all up to this "strange"calendar made up by the NLA and Swiss hockey.
Without the NT breaks and the stupid weeks with 1/2 games we could finish earlier relocate 1 or 2 of this tournament to April then start the real preparation. Polish the teams in last prep game and then go to WC.

in this context:

PATRICK BERGERON ON l'ANTI CHAMBRE in RDS.ca.(famous hockey programme).

quote him: In LUGANO a heavy weak was a 3 games weak. GENERAL LOL on the plateau. Thanks for reminding us of the ineptitude's of the NLA bosses in some areas. Too much practice and not enough real thing is one of the defect of Swiss hockey system.

anyway my list:

goal: GERBER,STEPHAN res:GENONI,BERRA (HILLER)

defense:SEGER,BEZINA,GEERING,VAUCLAIR,FURRER,FOSTER,VON
GUNTEN,DUBOIS,Res:JOBIN,BLUM
(STREIT,DIAZ,SBISA,JOSI,WEBER)

Forwards: GARDNER,WICK,ROMI,BÚRGLER,HOLLENSTEIN,STANCESCU(AMBHÚL),I.RÚTHEMANN,JEANNIN,BIKOV,MONNET,:eek::eek::eek::eek:I,
FRITSCHE,res:VERMIN,SIMEK,PLÃœSS(BRUNNER,NINO)

JULIEN SPRUNGER will not play NT this year also he is 1.O3 PPG second best Swiss after BRUNNER.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
With 55 players tested 4 wins and 3 losses SIMPSON will have made his choice now:

IMHO Many people in Switzerland could have made this players list before any test game based on NLA. With a few exceptions but otherwise the core is to everybody's knowledge. why lose time and not practice always with the bests with a few changes.
Make a SWISS B team and let them play other tournament see what comes out and who can make it to A team. The A team should always be at the moment's possible best like in football.

Why it is not like this,is also to everybody knowledge: You can't indispose the clubs by taking their players for Skoda cup,Deutschland,Cup,Arosa Challenge,etc.. or how this imho insignificant tournament are called. You got the 7/8 games in April for the real preparation but even then some team are finishing PO.

Its all up to this "strange"calendar made up by the NLA and Swiss hockey.
Without the NT breaks and the stupid weeks with 1/2 games we could finish earlier relocate 1 or 2 of this tournament to April then start the real preparation. Polish the teams in last prep game and then go to WC.

The NT breaks are IIHF sanctionned and have nothing to do with the NLA schedule. They may be a bit annoying but in the end they are a necessary evil if the coach wants to try new players, allow them to get familiar with the playing system and get some experience without the pressure you get during the pre-WC camp.

I don't think the comparison with football works, because you don't have qualifying games in hockey, and you can't compare the way hockey and football teams are built either.

PATRICK BERGERON ON l'ANTI CHAMBRE in RDS.ca.(famous hockey programme).

quote him: In LUGANO a heavy weak was a 3 games weak. GENERAL LOL on the plateau. Thanks for reminding us of the ineptitude's of the NLA bosses in some areas. Too much practice and not enough real thing is one of the defect of Swiss hockey system.

Notwithstanding the fact that l'Antichambre is generally seen as nothing more than a bunch of controversy creators blowing hot air, that reaction was about the 82 games NHL schedule.

Now if you look at others leagues, the standard regular season duration is about 54-56 games, barely more than the NLA's 50 games one. You could probably add a few games, but is it really desirable? The long NHL schedule also has its share of critics and many agree that if it wasn't for the loss of gate revenues, it would have been reduced already.

I agree that playing on Friday and Saturday followed by 5 days without a game is pretty stupid and that Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or something like this would make much more sense, but in the end it has nothing to do with the way the national team is selected. International hockey is another level, where NLA performances don't necessarly translate.

Regarding your comment about the amount of practice or games, this is debated during coaching clinics by very competent people and it's generally agreed that skills are better developped during practice. If you've ever played hockey, or any other team sport for that matter, think about how long you handle the puck/ball or how many times you pass or shoot during a game compared to a practice and you will see why. Games may be good to work on agressiveness and positioning, but I don't think that the problem with Swiss players lies there.

doubleaxes

Nov 25, 2012
The NT breaks are IIHF sanctionned and have nothing to do with the NLA schedule. They may be a bit annoying but in the end they are a necessary evil if the coach wants to try new players, allow them to get familiar with the playing system and get some experience without the pressure you get during the pre-WC camp.

Of course the BREAKS are not NLA's fault but the schedule in Switzerland yes. I don't think it helps to have, in January, 5/6/7 days off between games. Right now we have again a break to Friday, 12 days without games. Ridiculous.

The IIFH has nothing to do with this.

I don't think the comparison with football works, because you don't have qualifying games in hockey, and you can't compare the way hockey and football teams are built either.

I am not comparing with football but honestly don't you know before with FEW exceptions who are NT eligible or not like in football.

Now if you look at others leagues, the standard regular season duration is about 54-56 games, barely more than the NLA's 50 games one. You could probably add a few games, but is it really desirable? The long NHL schedule also has its share of critics and many agree that if it wasn't for the loss of gate revenues, it would have been reduced already.

Its not about more games (5o without PO are OK and average in EU). Its about the DENSITY, the compressing of season to allow MORE TIME for NT. Then SIMPSONS could make his test and the players concentrate on NT only.

I agree that playing on Friday and Saturday followed by 5 days without a game is pretty stupid and that Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or something like this would make much more sense, but in the end it has nothing to do with the way the national team is selected. International hockey is another level, where NLA performances don't necessarily translate.

As a top league NLA is on the CONTRARY a good basis. If you perform poorly or average in NLA how are you going to perform at international level.How many dozen of games is SIMPSON watching in the league.

Regarding your comment about the amount of practice or games, this is debated during coaching clinics by very competent people and it's generally agreed that skills are better developped during practice. If you've ever played hockey, or any other team sport for that matter, think about how long you handle the puck/ball or how many times you pass or shoot during a game compared to a practice and you will see why. Games may be good to work on agressiveness and positioning, but I don't think that the problem with Swiss players lies there.

You must be talking about juniors? Nobody doubts about skills developed during practice and me first but do you think professionals need 12 days practice like what has happened this week.

On the contrary this lack of intensity is PART of the stagnation of Swiss hockey NT.

The interest of IIHF doesn't correspond to the one of leagues, plenty of examples in the past. Because something is in place doesn't make it necessarily good.
A compressed season would allow the same tournaments and test with the advantage of having the players actual form state. Move them to end of March begining of April.

Last edited:

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
finally finding some time again.

On attack:

C: Romy as the only lock. and probably centering an offensive minded line. so that leaves one offensive C-position open:

So Simpson must decide if he wants to go with an 37-years old with great merits and experience, but who's clearly on the decline, for a final run. I'd be glad if one of the younger guys developes so significantly over the next 10 months, that he hasn't to Ted (Mosby) up this situation. So who could be this alternates?

Bykov (questionmark: too small, how does he handle internat. intensity, is he as good as Plüss in going to dirty areas as an undersized player without getting destroied?)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:i (qm: his total lack of game intensity is a problem, his defensive game still bares (too) many holes, and could he protect himself sufficently when going against bigger, faster and stronger competition?)

Richard (to be in the race must turn pro next year (which he certanly will) got the size, intensity and strengh to succeed on internat. play. his hands, vision and off.smarts are on a pretty good level, but will they already translate to a satisfying niveau at the OG? he is already now a better two-way player than :eek::eek::eek::eek:i or Bykov)

Ambühl (please, noooo!:sarcasm:)

I'm pretty indecisive yet.

for the 2 remaining defensive minded spots I can't see a lock. Candidates?

Ambühl (better suited than on a off. line...even better suited on the wing or as a 13th forward)

Savary (got the speed, intensity and def. workethic to play this role, physicaly there are stronger contenders though.)

Trachsler (the all-solid guy, bigger and stronger than savary, but his influence on the attacking game would be marginal, hasn't got any skill that shines on this level)

Walker (a risky choice for sure, big, strong, good skating, heavy shot (accuracy not so), fast hands (but not very soft), will give an effort all over the ice, can lay out hits if needed. His big questionmark will be, is his positioning and decisionmaking good enough for this level?- I hope Simpson gives him a try at this years WCC to clarify this)

Walser (while this season was a bit a disappointment for him, (to be honest: as fine a place as Kloten has been in the past to develop talents, this year it definitely wasn't) when he gets out strong next year under AdC guidance, I can see a little chance this will happen)

Right now, I'd go with Trachsler and Walker (I'd like the middle to be physicaly stronger than in the past)

I'll do the rest later.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad