Value of: Nathan Gerbe + Trey Fix-Wolansky to Edmonton?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Trey Fix-Wolansky (5'7) - Nathan Gerbe (5'4) - Kailer Yamamoto (5'8)

Call them the rabid rodent line. I don't think it works though, Yamamoto is too tall.

What would it take for Ken Holland to bring in these two forwards to Edmonton?

No offense Lakai, but if you kept up with the team boards you'd know that Edmonton already has way too many forwards. They're probably trying to give Nygard, Chiasson, and/or Khaira away. There's definitely no room for Gerbe. Fix-Wolansky would be a nice pickup for any team because he's waiver exempt on an ELC, coming off a very productive first AHL season. He might be able to step into an NHL scoring role in a year or two a la Yamamoto. He'd probably go for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Wouldn't claim Gerbe for free. We don't need him. LOL at Caleb Jones for that package.

Jones will get an opportunity at top 4 mins with Klefbom out. Either he earns the roll or has it out of a lack of options, either way that's way more a need for us.

Last edited:

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

Call them the rabid rodent line. I don't think it works though, Yamamoto is too tall.

No offense Lakai, but if you kept up with the team boards you'd know that Edmonton already has way too many forwards. They're probably trying to give Nygard, Chiasson, and/or Khaira away. There's definitely no room for Gerbe. Fix-Wolansky would be a nice pickup for any team because he's waiver exempt on an ELC, coming off a very productive first AHL season. He might be able to step into an NHL scoring role in a year or two a la Yamamoto. He'd probably go for a 2nd or 3rd rounder.
Get this: lakai17 is an Oilers fan.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

It is for wing depth in Edmonton and Bakersfield at the same time.

Gerbe can play in the bottom six on offense in todays lineup. Injuries happen, decent depth never hurts a team. Gerbe has drive in his game. We need that drive on every line to win games whether its on the 1st line or 4th line.

Trey Fix-Wolansky can develop in Bakersfield and no need to rush him but he would definitely push for a spot on the big team eventually. Most Oil fans should know of TFW as he's played 3 seasons for the Edmonton Oil Kings.

They are both small players but size isn't the biggest factor in today's game.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
We already have Nygard, Haas and one of Archibald or Chiasson on the outside looking in. After that we have Benson, Marody, Russell and Quine.

We really don't need them.

In other words, we can easily carry fourteen forwards and have another five ready to go who can play in the NHL in some capacity.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Random thread. Oilers have plenty of forwards to begin with.
Jackets extended gerbe and probably like the other short guy a lot.
One fills potential expansion draft fodder the other a nice looking prospect drafted real low.

Reactions: Morrison

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It is for wing depth in Edmonton and Bakersfield at the same time.

Gerbe can play in the bottom six on offense in todays lineup. Injuries happen, decent depth never hurts a team. Gerbe has drive in his game. We need that drive on every line to win games whether its on the 1st line or 4th line.

Trey Fix-Wolansky can develop in Bakersfield and no need to rush him but he would definitely push for a spot on the big team eventually. Most Oil fans should know of TFW as he's played 3 seasons for the Edmonton Oil Kings.

They are both small players but size isn't the biggest factor in today's game.

It's not a bad idea, or at least it wouldn't have been a month ago before the Oilers ended up with like 16 NHL forwards. I did think Stenlund and TFW made some sense when you put it out there a month ago, and since TFW is waiver exempt, that's never going to be a bad idea. But he's also a RW so it's not a pressing idea this offseason, he wouldn't be needed unless the Oilers lose multiple RWs.

Gerbe is not going to be traded by Columbus, btw. We can put that idea aside. He signed in Cleveland to be near his ailing father. He could get claimed for an NHL squad but he won't go to Bakersfield or any far away AHL team.

At the beginning of the offseason I was thinking the players Edmonton needs from Columbus are the low-event centers. Both Khaira and Sheahan got caved in 5v5 by a margin of two dozen goals. Replace them with any of Alex Wennberg, Riley Nash, Ryan Macinnis, and possibly Kevin Stenlund, who was excellent defensively in the NHL though that's not his pedigree. Kyle Turris had poor defensive results in Nashville so I'm skeptical on him. Khaira still needs to be shipped out, though just putting Haas in his place should be a bit of an upgrade.

Reactions: lakai17

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wouldn't claim Gerbe for free. We don't need him. LOL at Caleb Jones for that package.

Jones will get an opportunity at top 4 mins with Klefbom out. Either he earns the roll or has it out of a lack of options, either way that's way more a need for us.

To be fair, it checks out that Lumbus fans have no idea what defencemen are worth after the offseason they just had

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
What would it take for Ken Holland to bring in these two forwards to Edmonton?

I hate bash players and the old don’t want them for free is a way of taking a shot . I will just say Edmonton is loaded up on forwards right now so they wouldn’t fill a need . We need a LD to replace Klefbom and an upgrade on Smith In net .

Reactions: lakai17

Sweoilers

Jun 14, 2015
I'd be okay if Edmonton stayed away from ex Oil Kings for the rest of my lifetime.
I wouldn't mind drafting Guenther next year but that is about it. I hope we don’t trade lots of picks for an old Oil Kings defenceman ever again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad