Nathan Gerbe Appreciation Thread

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
I may have a soft spot for the undersized guy, but man, Gerbe is now my favorite player in the organization.

My only problem with his call up was; where the hell has he been this whole time and why was he literally the 8th choice coming out of Cleveland!?

I did not realize what an NHL veteran he is. Never quits and plays smart hockey. Two attributes we have woefully been missing at times.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
My only problem with his call up was; where the hell has he been this whole time and why was he literally the 8th choice coming out of Cleveland!?

What are the opinions on Gerbe and Dalpe being the 1st 2 call-ups?
thebus88, Oct 15, 2019

----------

koteka said:
Gerbe has played 396 NHL games. Maybe he’ll get a chance for 400.​

Should have already seen Gerbe and Dalpe.​
thebus88, Dec 21, 2019

Good question, for a lot of people.

Literally 2 people on here had any thought about calling Gerbe up before we did. The very few people who thought it was a worthy question, shot it down quickly.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Love the story. Not sure how long he sticks, but he should until he starts fading. Would rather have him in the lineup than not, even with healthy.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Gerbe's worth to this organization is in the AHL. He was a late call up because of that. He is playing well right now, and you ride it as long as it lasts, but when he fades he goes back down where he is a mentor and a player that leads by example and the young guys there can learn from him. For him to keep up his level of play he would have a career year. It could happen, and I hope it does, but his true value will be in the minors as player/coach/mentor.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
It sounds like his father has been going through some health struggles; hopefully he gets well soon and can participate in the annual Dad road trip later this season.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
His offense will dip even just from moving down the lineup but even so with that energy he can still bring something to the team. This is likely the result of him getting the 2nd chance he probably never expected so i'd assume he is in the mindset of "Im going to be the hardest working guy on the ice every shift". Its how guys like Derek MacKenzie play and it can be pretty infectious especially when you see a guy 5'4" battling everywhere on the ice without hesitation

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I like how he's small in physical stature, standing at like 5'4" or something, and his last name is Gerbe, which if you just add an 'r' to the end spells Gerber, so putting those two things together there's always that ability to nickname him the Gerbe baby and it's never not going to be funny.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I like how he's small in physical stature, standing at like 5'4" or something, and his last name is Gerbe, which if you just add an 'r' to the end spells Gerber, so putting those two things together there's always that ability to nickname him the Gerbe baby and it's never not going to be funny.

Double minor (or a minor minor in honor of an apparently departed poster) and game misconduct.

Thread ban yourself.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Before Monsters games they bring mite hockey teams on the ice for the anthem. Gerbe always skates by them and taps their gloves and we always comment how he is barely taller than them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Double minor (or a minor minor in honor of an apparently departed poster) and game misconduct.

Thread ban yourself.
ANNOUNCEMENT: as a result of horrible crimes against our savior Gerbe as documented above, DSL will now be removed from his moderator position. Henceforth, I, Viqsi, will be the sole HFCBJ moderator.

tumblr_nbb1hvQAwR1rrkahjo3_250.gif

:sarcasm:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
A Renaissance! Would be crazy if he is a found talent and manages to put up 35 points.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The guy only knows one way to play, all out. His size makes you notice him, his play shows you size doesn't matter.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think he's got a role on this team and has earned to stay in the lineup with his play.

When 100% healthy

Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson
Texier-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Jenner-Anderson
Gerbe-Foligno-Bemstrom
Nash, Robinson

Not sure we will ever be 100% healthy this year (not sure if Anderson will be able to come back, and not sure Texier will either), but if we are this is how I would see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think he's got a role on this team and has earned to stay in the lineup with his play.

When 100% healthy

Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson
Milano-Jenner-Anderson
Gerbe-Foligno-Bemstrom
Nash, Robinson

Not sure we will ever be 100% healthy this year (not sure if Anderson will be able to come back, and not sure Texier will either), but if we are this is how I would see it.
He absolutely has earned a role. In this scenario though I wonder if Torts would be in the mindset of keeping Bemstrom there to get PP time or if Nash/Robinson play on that 4th line to keep an energy line

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

When 100% healthy

Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson
Milano-Jenner-Anderson
Gerbe-Foligno-Bemstrom
Nash, Robinson

I think they'll find a way to keep Stenlund around. They need his PP scoring.

But yeah, given Texier is still out "indefinitely" we may not see him for awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad