Nathan Beaulieu

newtown33

May 22, 2010
Excellent skater, good skill with the puck are obvious answers. Looking forward to see him live this year...

Two questions:
-I know he was paired with Despres last year and both are LH, was he playing the Left side or Right side?
-His numbers were the same as last year even tough the team was destroying everyone, any logical explanations beside he was working on his defense?

GM17*

his team was destroying everyone the year before too, it might've remained static in part to the Gelinas acquisition which ate up some of his minutes.

phenomenal he scored exactly the same # of goals and assists two years in a row haha

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I came away VERY impressed with Beaulieu after watching some of his playoff & all the memorial cup action.

I think he could step in on a weaker team this season and have a Fowler-like rookie impact, but that won't happen in Montreal and that will ultimately be even better for his development.

He's got very good compete level, great hockey sense, fantastic skating, and a willingness to play the body and engage physically. He needs a bit more polish & experience, but I think he has all the physical tools and intangibles to be a great,. top-2 Dman who can play on both special teams and run the PP. I actually thought he was a bit under-rated by everyone besides central scouting (who had him at #5) and I think he will be a great player who is not far away.

Beaulieu = Paul Martin to me.

Disagree with the comparison. Stuart Percy is closer to Paul Martin. Beaulieu style of play is closer to a Whitney or Yandle type of player.

Excellent skater, good skill with the puck are obvious answers. Looking forward to see him live this year...

Two questions:
-I know he was paired with Despres last year and both are LH, was he playing the Left side or Right side?
-His numbers were the same as last year even tough the team was destroying everyone, any logical explanations beside he was working on his defense?

1) During the Memorial Cup, Despres & Beaulieu did not play together at even strength. For the most part, Despres played the right side (he played the left side at the WJC) and Beaulieu played the left side.

2) That is probably the explanation, but a question better answered by somebody who watched him a lot during the regular season. From what I saw in the post season, while there's a bit of risk to his game (like any offensive guy) he isn't too much of a high risk player. He picks his spots well but doesn't seem to make too many poor decisions that would undoubtledly lead to higher point totals, but also more scoring chances against.

Zeroknowledge*

With experience and some more muscle this pick will pay off big time for Montreal, still can't believe he was available at 17!!

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca

1. Beaulieu was primarily paired with Gagne or Durepos last year.

2. Working on his defense was definitely part of it, but more just rounding out his game.
Assistant coach Greg Leland described it to me as follows: "The best thing I like about Nathan is he used to be a high-risk player last year in terms of with the puck and without the puck, he would take some chances but he's really improved that area of his game this year and he's certainly far less risky without the puck and he's certainly makes a lot of better decisions defensively, in terms of when to pinch and not to pinch and just send it up into the neutral zone. That's a part of his game that has really impressed me in how far it's improved this year."
Kim Houston, a scout with Central Scouting put it this way: "Last year, he'd get the puck and we all knew he could rush the puck and make things happen, but now he's a lot smarter about when he goes and when he jumps up in the play, when he does, he makes sure it's an opportunity to create something and that's very positive for the team. I see a maturity in him and the defensive side of his game has really improved and I think that's what the scouts are looking for. Now he's pretty well a complete package in terms of his overall game."

Production isn't everything. Beaulieu played a stronger overall game last season than he did the year before.

newtown33

May 22, 2010
1. Beaulieu was primarily paired with Gagne or Durepos last year.

2. Working on his defense was definitely part of it, but more just rounding out his game.
Assistant coach Greg Leland described it to me as follows: "The best thing I like about Nathan is he used to be a high-risk player last year in terms of with the puck and without the puck, he would take some chances but he's really improved that area of his game this year and he's certainly far less risky without the puck and he's certainly makes a lot of better decisions defensively, in terms of when to pinch and not to pinch and just send it up into the neutral zone. That's a part of his game that has really impressed me in how far it's improved this year."
Kim Houston, a scout with Central Scouting put it this way: "Last year, he'd get the puck and we all knew he could rush the puck and make things happen, but now he's a lot smarter about when he goes and when he jumps up in the play, when he does, he makes sure it's an opportunity to create something and that's very positive for the team. I see a maturity in him and the defensive side of his game has really improved and I think that's what the scouts are looking for. Now he's pretty well a complete package in terms of his overall game."

Production isn't everything. Beaulieu played a stronger overall game last season than he did the year before.

I know production isn't everything and I particularly like good overall players with heart and desire. I was actually wishing Beaulieu would be available at 17 last year and I knew he would be when the Wilds chose Brodin...it was great seeing the Habs pick him!

HabsFanFromOntario

May 7, 2011
I was hoping Buffalo would take Beaulieu so we could grab Armia, but I was definatley ecstatic with this selection. I heard he's a physical two-way defender in the mold of the NEW Subban?

HabbyGilmore

Best man for the job
Feb 17, 2011
Saint John, NB Canda
I was hoping Buffalo would take Beaulieu so we could grab Armia, but I was definatley ecstatic with this selection. I heard he's a physical two-way defender in the mold of the NEW Subban?

better then Subban imho and I love Suby but getting to see Beaulieu play a ton of games for the SeaDogs the past couple seasons.. Beaulieu is an amazing skater, fast, likes to jump in, is a clutch guy.. plus hes got the size to mess with people.. LOVE that the Habs got him. :D

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
better then Subban imho and I love Suby but getting to see Beaulieu play a ton of games for the SeaDogs the past couple seasons.. Beaulieu is an amazing skater, fast, likes to jump in, is a clutch guy.. plus hes got the size to mess with people.. LOVE that the Habs got him. :D

Where were you this last season for the Habs? Have you ever seen Subban at both of his WJCs and in Belleville? What you've just described is exactly the definition of PK Subban. Ask Mike Richards and Joffrey Lupul.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

I think we got very lucky that he was still available for us to draft him. He and Subban will be the quaterbacks of this team for years to come and I'm really looking forward to it.

GM17*

I don't see him as better than Subban. His NHL future is still not clear, and he has to work on his defensive game (still) before he gets that moniker.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Beaulieu compares favorably to Subban at the same age but, from that point, PK's development went on an upward trajectory that's rarely seen. It's very doubtful that Beaulieu can match such a rise in his game. Mind you, he does have a lot of room to grow and improve but probably not at Subban's level.

Last edited:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Bruins fans were very scared the morning of draft day when the rumor was Beaulieu was the Bruins' guy at 9th overall. I've heard a lot of Bealieu being a tweener in that he may not be quite good offensively to be an offensive defenseman in the NHL and he may not be quite good enough defensively to be a defensive defenseman in the NHL. He has a very good all around skill set its just a matter of developing the skills he does have to the point of being a productive NHLer.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I like a Leopold comparison. Both big guys who move well and are solid in both ends of the ice. If Leopold wasn't a concussion monster he would be much more respected around the league.

Halpysback*

Which one of Beaulieu or Kulikov do you think will have the most impact on there team?

Kulikov has always tracked higher and is kicking ass in the NHL on the same level as Carlson, Subban and that second tier crop of exceptional young defensemen. Hard not to say him.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I like a Leopold comparison. Both big guys who move well and are solid in both ends of the ice. If Leopold wasn't a concussion monster he would be much more respected around the league.

Well put Renegade. I think that is a fantastic comparison.

As a Flames season ticket holder I've seen Leopold plenty...and he has due to injuries and other factors never got the exposure his game deserves.

There is a part of me that thinks that Beaulieu may prove more dynamic, however I think that may just be the effect of him being a "new, young, prospect"...I mean we are discussing this on HFboards so maybe his "upside" that I sense is just the HF-effect.

Additionally Leopold was pretty dynamite in College, if he didn't win the Hobey Baker he was atleast the runner-up. So, in his day JL was a pretty lauded prospect

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Well put Renegade. I think that is a fantastic comparison.

As a Flames season ticket holder I've seen Leopold plenty...and he has due to injuries and other factors never got the exposure his game deserves.

There is a part of me that thinks that Beaulieu may prove more dynamic, however I think that may just be the effect of him being a "new, young, prospect"...I mean we are discussing this on HFboards so maybe his "upside" that I sense is just the HF-effect.

Additionally Leopold was pretty dynamite in College, if he didn't win the Hobey Baker he was atleast the runner-up. So, in his day JL was a pretty lauded prospect

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the comparison. Perhaps if Leopold was 2 inches inches taller and quite a bit faster, he could play the same type of game Beaulieu plays.

Beaulieu just has the ability to use his size/reach/skating ability to a significant degreee that enables him to be an impact player in a way that's beyond just his skill-set. Leopold is a safer, 2-way defenseman who is reliable in a subtle way defensively, and brings a nice transition game with an offensive touch.

Beaulieu is a much more dynamic player with the ability to be an elite offensive defenseman who -- if he rounds out his defensive gam, which I think he will -- has an ability to be a dominant, all-star calibre defenseman, which Leopold isn't.

In fact, I really don't understand why Beaulieu didn't get more love from some of the scouts (aside from CSS who had him #5) and perhaps he's not as much of a "sure thing" as Larsson or Hamilton, but I believe his upside is not far off from those players.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the comparison. Perhaps if Leopold was 2 inches inches taller and quite a bit faster, he could play the same type of game Beaulieu plays.

Beaulieu just has the ability to use his size/reach/skating ability to a significant degreee that enables him to be an impact player in a way that's beyond just his skill-set. Leopold is a safer, 2-way defenseman who is reliable in a subtle way defensively, and brings a nice transition game with an offensive touch.

Beaulieu is a much more dynamic player with the ability to be an elite offensive defenseman who -- if he rounds out his defensive gam, which I think he will -- has an ability to be a dominant, all-star calibre defenseman, which Leopold isn't.

In fact, I really don't understand why Beaulieu didn't get more love from some of the scouts (aside from CSS who had him #5) and perhaps he's not as much of a "sure thing" as Larsson or Hamilton, but I believe his upside is not far off from those players.

Honestly, I don't really disagree with you.

The thing is this HF-effect can be a bit hard to discern when your wading in it. I think there are a lot of young prospects who legitimately have all the upside in the world and don't necessarily translate.

IMO, Beaulieu has "it". And will be an upper echelon 50-55 points dman. But I'm a little concerned that I might be getting too caught up in the sexy aspect of him being a recent, french canadien, MTL first rounder.

I hope I have nothing to worry about though, as I have him in my main Fantasy Pool :handclap:

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com

We had him at #9 in our final ranking. I think everyone else had him in the top-15. Not sure how much more love did he need?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00