Nathan Beaulieu - Saint John Sea Dogs, QMJHL

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've been busy keeping my eye on the top end of the '10 draft, but I saw some highlights of this kid and he seems like he has a ton of skill. I wanted to learn more about him and what prospect followers think of him?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There have been a couple other threads asking similar questions. And frankly, I don't have the answer.

But his numbers are very impressive, especially for a freshly turned 17 year old.

He also has good size at 6'2 and gaining weight by the month.

Got some skill by the looks of it:

And some toughness:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Right now, he'd probably be a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder this year. His game has improved incredibly this year, and if it improves anywhere near as much next year, he'll be in the top half of the first round.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks guys, I'm surprised that he wouldn't be seen as a 1st round talent at this point.

Mountainside

Oct 25, 2009
He's got the skill to be a high pick, but the brain is missing in the times I've seen him. One shift he'll make a great play, the next he'll make a boneheaded play that kids in Novice wouldn't make.

Will develop into a solid PP man in junior, and has good offensive instincts. I find him soft and easily pushed around, but he's only 17.. He's a solid kid, but I wouldn't let that fight fool you really.. I dont think he'll ever be recognized as a bruiser back on the blueline.

He's definitely got some offensive skill, and he has to get better in his own end. I can see him being drafted in the top half in the draft but I have a hard time seeing him go in the first round. Just not a complete enough prospect at this point. However, like a previous poster mentioned if he improves again next year like he did this year he could very well climb the rankings.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Anybody from Saint John here or has anybody seen Beaulieau play lately? Wondering about his progress as he seems to be slotted anywhere from mid to late first round it seems.

How is his defensive play/instincts and physicality? What type of offense does he bring to the table and how do you think those skills would translate to the next level?

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Anybody from Saint John here or has anybody seen Beaulieau play lately? Wondering about his progress as he seems to be slotted anywhere from mid to late first round it seems.

How is his defensive play/instincts and physicality? What type of offense does he bring to the table and how do you think those skills would translate to the next level?

Watched him live a couple weeks ago. Having never seen the Sea Dogs played, I came away most impressed with him over Huberdeau/Phillips/Jurco/Depres. His defensive awareness is outstanding in that game, he pinches in when he should, he bailed out his defensive partner a couple times. He was also surprisingly physical. The Sens scout was at that game so I'm sure he's going to be rated pretty highly.

TheRookie

Dec 30, 2006

I'm a season ticket holder for the Sea Dogs and have been watching Beaulieu since he first started on the team and despite the fact he was taken by then GM Jacques Beaulieu (His Father) it was a very smart pick obviously being taken in the 4th RD of the 2008 QMJHL Draft and has been in the league since he was 15 (Turned 16 in December)

Beaulieu is more of a complete player maybe not quite as strong defensively but vastly improved in this area since last season. He really likes jumping in the play and for those that seen him in the Top Prospects Game they seen the little deke step around move he likes to do when the forwards over commit. He doesn't take as many chances though now understanding that he needs to improve his defensive game but again it's much better this season!

He can make end to end rushes and his passing is above average in all areas of the ice. He has an excellent point shot and makes smart decisions when to use it and has good timing on the one-timers from the point.

The fights don't happen that often but there is no doubt he can handle the fights and if I recall he had 2 other fights in the last 2 years and they both looked very similar ... he just keeps chucking it's fun to watch but I think he understands as a defenseman we really need him on the ice and not sitting for majors. Right now in 59GP here this season he only has 48PIMs with a couple majors for fighting.

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
There is no way he'll fall to the 3rd round, barring a significant injury or sudden drop in offensive production. He'll go in the late 1st round imo.

TheRookie

Dec 30, 2006
There is no way he'll fall to the 3rd round, barring a significant injury or sudden drop in offensive production. He'll go in the late 1st round imo.

No he should be gone in the 1st Round IMO ... He will likely get some rest over the last 6 games because Saint John has clinched the #1 spot in the Q league so a lot of the guys will get rested although there are a few guys out with injuries some Nate may have to play ...

A few dinged up guys on the blue line ... Simon Despres, Eric Gelinas, Kevin Gagne. Actually last game Saint John used Stephen MacAulay (Blues draft pick) as a defenseman. None of the injuries appear to be serious ... Gagne was actually out sick, Gelinas had a Charlie Horse, and Despres left early haven't heard his injury status but this could force Beaulieu to play.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
He should be the #5 D-man taken after Larsson,Hamilton,Siemens.Murphy ...Those 4 will go in the top ten...Now count Landeskog,RNH,Couturier,Huberdeau and Strome--and that is 9 accounted for in the top ten....Depending on position needs Beaulieu could go as high as#10 -if not for sure he'll go in the next tier of 10 (11-20) probably in the first 5 of that grouping...

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He should be the #5 D-man taken after Larsson,Hamilton,Siemens.Murphy ...Those 4 will go in the top ten...Now count Landeskog,RNH,Couturier,Huberdeau and Strome--and that is 9 accounted for in the top ten....Depending on position needs Beaulieu could go as high as#10 -if not for sure he'll go in the next tier of 10 (11-20) probably in the first 5 of that grouping...

I'd rather have Oleksiak, Mayfield and several others before Beaulieu. And that's just defensemen.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I got to see him in a game that I ordered against Drummondville. I liked the potential, he seems slick with the puck, he's a good skater, can lug it up ice very well, etc. That said the decision making at times wasn't that great, but the talent is obviously there. He has all the tools necessary to be a good defenseman in the NHL, it's just a matter of how much a team thinks that he'll develop and how much he'll be able to work on his weaknesses.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Not sure, but after what I've read he sound to me like Forbort did last year. He has nothing that stands out, but play a hard good overall game. But that's just what I've read. I think you could see him go anywhere from #15-30, depending on the team.

OilerOlli*

That 2nd/3rd round came 1 year ago. ;)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Nathan Beaulieu

I did this video up quickly. Not the greatest compilation but there's some good clips of a very talented player.

I get the sense that he's come a long way since joining his father's team in Saint Johns. He was prone to making costly mistakes but he's cut down on the turnovers and brain farts as the year has gone on.

As a defender, he's not afraid. He'll take the body but can be in the wrong places at times and sometimes overzealous or too focused on creating offense.

Offensively, he's incredibly gifted. He skates well, can carry the puck up ice and run a PP. On the power play he gets shots through traffic and can be the trigger man with his big one time bombs. Jumping up in the play is another thing he does very well and likely something people will know him for at the next level. In many ways he resembles the type of Mike Green has become.

He's raw and a project for any team who decides to take him but the potential to be an elite offensive defenseman is there. I really think he's worthy of a top 10 selection in June but will be a steal for a team who might get him in the 10-20 range.

Any Sea dogs fans want to comment on his progression?

GM17*

He's got much better since the start of the year. His defence doesn't ACTUALLY need the work put in that people say, he just does too much in the offensive end and is prone to counter attacking. When he IS in his end he's rock solid. He just needs more gamesense which comes in time, it's not a talent issue which makes him a pretty safe pick for teams looking for a PMD.

I'd take him over Hamilton if I were seeking an offensive rafalski-esque d-man. Then again he's a year younger so maybe not.

His skating + puck handling are incredible.

-Sea Dogs fan + I reffed him during his AAA days (as well as Phillips + Tesink actually) and he's been one to keep an eye on.

He'd be good on a team with a solid defence corps that can teach him (imo NJ or CLB). He's be disasterous on a team that's young and inexperienced (Ottawa or FLA)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
As recently as early last year, Beaulieu was playing pond hockey on defence. He didn`t know when to pinch and his d zone coverage was terrible. Then he got put with Sauve and started to catch on. For the first few games last year, he was behind Despres, Sauve, Gagne and Durepos on the depth chart. When things started to click he went from at best a 5th D to suddenly looking like a top 4 in a hurry. He started making better decisions on when to pinch and his in zone coverage improved immensely (playing with a vet can never hurt). Early this year, when Despres was away, Nate stuggled again (being asked to be a #1 D). When Despres returned, Nate`s game went back up (not having to lead the D). At the end of the year, Saint John was trying to rest Simon, and Nate brought his game up to a #1 D calibre, allowing Saint John to even give Simon 3rd pairing minutes in the playoffs.

Saint John went out and got Eric Gelinas at the deadline. Gelinas is signed by Jersey, but is clearly our #3 D, behind Despres and Beaulieu, despite Beaulieu being a year younger.

His weaknesses are things he has been improving drastically over the past year and a bit, which is why scouts have him so high.

hfboardfanatic

May 9, 2010
He's got much better since the start of the year. His defence doesn't ACTUALLY need the work put in that people say, he just does too much in the offensive end and is prone to counter attacking. When he IS in his end he's rock solid. He just needs more gamesense which comes in time, it's not a talent issue which makes him a pretty safe pick for teams looking for a PMD.

I'd take him over Hamilton if I were seeking an offensive rafalski-esque d-man. Then again he's a year younger so maybe not.

His skating + puck handling are incredible.

-Sea Dogs fan + I reffed him during his AAA days (as well as Phillips + Tesink actually) and he's been one to keep an eye on.

He'd be good on a team with a solid defence corps that can teach him (imo NJ or CLB). He's be disasterous on a team that's young and inexperienced (Ottawa or FLA)

What teams were Phillips and Tesink playing for when you got a chance to ref them?

GM17*

What teams were Phillips and Tesink playing for when you got a chance to ref them?

Tesink (and his older brother in a diff year) was in SJ Flames (or maybe they were Sea Dogs at that pt), thought Phillips was as well, but was more likely on the Fredericton Canadiens.

I'm from KV, so I obv saw a lot of Beaulieu. Reffed and worked lines in the tournaments held in the area so I saw lots of teams from elsewhere aside from the weekly sunday game at home.

As recently as early last year, Beaulieu was playing pond hockey on defence. He didn`t know when to pinch and his d zone coverage was terrible. Then he got put with Sauve and started to catch on. For the first few games last year, he was behind Despres, Sauve, Gagne and Durepos on the depth chart. When things started to click he went from at best a 5th D to suddenly looking like a top 4 in a hurry. He started making better decisions on when to pinch and his in zone coverage improved immensely (playing with a vet can never hurt). Early this year, when Despres was away, Nate stuggled again (being asked to be a #1 D). When Despres returned, Nate`s game went back up (not having to lead the D). At the end of the year, Saint John was trying to rest Simon, and Nate brought his game up to a #1 D calibre, allowing Saint John to even give Simon 3rd pairing minutes in the playoffs.

Saint John went out and got Eric Gelinas at the deadline. Gelinas is signed by Jersey, but is clearly our #3 D, behind Despres and Beaulieu, despite Beaulieu being a year younger.

His weaknesses are things he has been improving drastically over the past year and a bit, which is why scouts have him so high.

Saw him in Halifax just after the world juniors and he was a treat to watch. No Despres then, but his pinching definetly can by inopportune (this is what I was referring to along the lines of gamesense). He's going to be solid if he joins a team with an experienced defensive corps who can teach him these things.

GM17*

Thanks guys, this has been quite informative and it goes with how I've perceived his growth. Care to make a NHL comparison?

I don't know. Burns maybe in the sense that at the beginning of his career he was often caught in deep but had a fair amount of offensive upside. Myers too I suppose. He's not defensively bankrupt, he just gets caught in deep too much. In his own end he's solid, so those are apt comparisons I guess.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks for yet another great vid, FQL :handclap:

Does this kid know where the top shelf is, or what?! :amazed:

Burns was drafted as a forward, so I hope that comparison isn't too close. He looks a bit like Goligoski/Yandle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad