Confirmed with Link: Nathan Beaulieu re-signed 2 yrs, 1M AAV

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
wow this is a great deal. it sets up a big move.
Tinordi, Pateryn and such will have to meet this LOW bar for contracts. This also sets up a possible trade with Emilin involved. after all the BIG problem is scoring not goal or defence.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
wow this is a great deal. it sets up a big move.
Tinordi, Pateryn and such will have to meet this LOW bar for contracts. This also sets up a possible trade with Emilin involved. after all the BIG problem is scoring not goal or defence.

Trading Emelin is not a great option in my book. Of course, it always depends on the return, so if the return is overwhelmeing because the other team is hot after Emelin, it might work out. However, trading him because we think it will help cap-wise is not in MY plan, for sure. Nothing wrong with a $4M 2nd pair defenceman who can eat 20 minutes per game and keeps the heads up on the other team.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Nothing wrong with a $4M 2nd pair defenceman who can eat 20 minutes per game and keeps the heads up on the other team.

Great if Emelin can play consistently to that description. Problem is there were significant chunks of the last couple of seasons when the only reason the other team had their heads up was so they could see when Emelin was on the ice and head straight down his side....

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
It is a good deal but looking around the 22-23 years old defensemen show that he is paid on par with his comparable. Good deal nonetheless.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Good deal by MB here, I wasn't expecting a ton more, but every penny saved is a job well-done at this point.

We desperately need to move one of Pap/DD preferably both and Emelin imo. Move Emelin in a gorges type move and I'll be happy. I think we could live with the downgrade of Emelin -> Tinordi the more I think a about it.

That would leave the following on the back end.

NB Subban
Markov Petry
Tinner Gilbert
Pateryn

I'm not sure who the 8th d would be if multiple injuries happen at the same time, but you can't cover every scenario.

We need to add a winger with the Emelin money and upgrade DD and or pap somehow. I dunno how it will play out with both forwards who need to be shipped out being francopohone, but this is the best way to improve the club. Any interesting francophone swaps for DD and or Pap out there?

We absolutely can not go into the season with the same forward group as last year. Changes need to be made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Great deal. I would've liked to sign him to a bargain long term contract, but given our current cap situation, I don't think that was possible. When Beaulieu's 2 years are up, Markov will likely be retiring and clearing up $5.5m. Short term, Markov-Subban and Beaulieu-Petry is a very solid top 4. With Tinordi / Pateryn / Gilbert / Emelin to rotate on the bottom pairing, we're in a great position moving forward.

Now if Bergevin can get Galchenyuk signed for cheap as well, he can maybe use whatever remaining cap space (and Emelin) to land another top 6 forward.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
For people saying its not that good of a deal... Borowiecki was signed at 1.1 mil and he played 5 nhl games at that point

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
$1M for two years for an RFA who hasn't really proven his full time worth yet seems about right for both sides.

Montreal gets their "fill it in" defenseman instead of going looking for a one year temporary filler outside, and it gives time to see how Beaulieu will develop as a full timer. If he doesn't pan out, not a lot tied up.

Would Beaulieu have gotten more if he would wait for an offer sheet? ... most likely not, so for him to take $1M now for two years makes sense for him as well.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Free's up Emelin and Tinordi for trade.
Both the AV's, (O'Reilly), and the Oilers, (Yakupov, Eberle), are looking for help on their blue line.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Not sure why some here are surprised. This is about what I expected an unproven RFA to get.

HabsDieHard*

I'll be honest, I thought it'd be closer to 2.

1 million for Beualieu this season and next could be the best value contract in the entire league.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I got a 1000 bucks that says: If Nathan Beualieu and tinordi were traded to the NJ Devils, they would be the second coming of Stevens and Niedermayer in 2 years.

Any takers?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I got a 1000 bucks that says: If Nathan Beualieu and tinordi were traded to the NJ Devils, they would be the second coming of Stevens and Niedermayer in 2 years.

Any takers?

obviously you weren't around when stevens and niedermayer were playing.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Any takers?

While I agree with you, and I like your avatar, how can one make a bet that is conditional, where the precondition is likely not to be fulfilled?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Honestly the fact that so many people think this is such a steal and expected at least double shows me just how overrated Nathan is right now by our fanbase. He has plenty of upside and played quite well, but nothing mind blowing enough to justify 2-3 mil per. I fully expected him to get 1-1.5 mil, I'm not denying it's still a great deal being at the lower end of my expectation but I just don't see how one could justify assuming he'd get 2 mil+ per.

He's proven nothing offensively, has had usual ups and downs of an NHL defensive prospect. This is par for the course in my eyes. Sometimes I think people are blinded by the potential, which he definitely has the tools and could easily put it all together, not trying to say he's bad in anyway but this deal easily made sense in my eyes. He still has a lot to prove and I'm sure he will prove enough in the next year that the 2nd year of this deal may be a steal, but it remains to be seen as of yet.

I guess with how often we see prospects paid based on potential I can somewhat understand why people felt that way, but I figured the high end would've been 2 years 1.5m per. See absolutely no reason to justify him making more than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad