Nate Thompson

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
If Yzerman didn't want him he wouldn't have given him a 4 year extension when he did. Thompson is a gritty, heart-and-soul player. He goes to war for you every shift, that's the kind of guy who keeps everyone on the team humble.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Yzerman didn't want him he wouldn't have given him a 4 year extension when he did. Thompson is a gritty, heart-and-soul player. He goes to war for you every shift, that's the kind of guy who keeps everyone on the team humble.

Yup. And Thompson's apparent replacement, when the time comes, is Cedric Paquette. Who's not exactly going to score the lights out.

Thompson's pretty much the definition of a good 4th line center. His replacement will be a lot like him.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Thanks you have spoken what I'm trying to say

Now for the un bold part of your quote. All players bring something until a better player takes his place. he will be gone the year after next. Its simple as that.

Place your names here that says he will be with the Lightning in year 2015/2016.

And place names here the other way.

You guys don't see where the Lightning are at right now. Thompson is for a non playoff team.

Too much talent on the team to keep him. I mean the last team that had him threw him out for free for us. is there that much difference in his play when the Islanders let him go and now that he is with the lightning? You guys just fall in love with less talented guys because they hustle out there. (but they accomplish nothing, oh I forgot he does wonders in the locker room. hahahahahahaha)

I would really like to see a list of the players that you belief should get Thompsons spot over him.
Every single playoff team has 4th liners in the mold of Thompson hell most of the teams don't even have one as good as Thompson.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would really like to see a list of the players that you belief should get Thompsons spot over him.
Every single playoff team has 4th liners in the mold of Thompson hell most of the teams don't even have one as good as Thompson.

He doesn't have a list, I asked him to name who'll be taking Thompson's spot in the 15/16 season and he's yet to answer it. He's just trolling worse then I do, I at least provide some valid arguments and provide some facts with mine.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
He's not going to debate or respond so there's no point in keeping the thread going.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
How about this.

I predict that after next season he will not be a member of the Lightning.

Because we don't need him. (there will be no room for him)

And I will bump this when that happens.

And I'm an old timer and I do not have a face book.

I have had many season tickets over the years with the Blackhawks starting in the early eighties so not new to hockey.

4th line needs to control the puck you don't need grinders to do that. You could have energized young players that are fast and creating action on the other end of the ice.

You watch he will not be on the team in 2015/2016

Don't fall in love with these guys. you will just get hurt

Well Well Well

You all had a lot of fun for a few weeks didn't you.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well Well Well

You all had a lot of fun for a few weeks didn't you.

You were right in that he's gone but not for the reasons you thought. It was a cap move.

If we replace him with an overpaid player like Brian Boyle then it really wasn't worth it. He isn't a big enough upgrade to have made Thompson expendable. If it's Paquette, like I hope, that's good but I think Paquette can be better then a 4th liner and I hope it doesn't affect his development.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
You were right in that he's gone but not for the reasons you thought. It was a cap move.

If we replace him with an overpaid player like Brian Boyle then it really wasn't worth it. He isn't a big enough upgrade to have made Thompson expendable. If it's Paquette, like I hope, that's good but I think Paquette can be better then a 4th liner and I hope it doesn't affect his development.

Sorry Hose and nice try.

But if Thompson was any good they would have kept him. I said there is no room for him with all the guys the Lightning have.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I'm personally not convinced Paquette is ready for #4C duties, but I'll trust the Yzerplan on this one. If we brought in Moore or something I wouldn't mind.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Sorry Hose and nice try.

But if Thompson was any good they would have kept him. I said there is no room for him with all the guys the Lightning have.

I don't think this trade had as much to do with Thompson's performance as his cap hit. The cap wasn't raised as high as expected so they had to move his contract. I'm pretty sure $ was reason #1 here.

That said, Nate didn't have a great season last year. This probably made it a lot easier for SFY to decide to move him.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
He served his purpose when we first got him but we have added so much since then. And the more we will add the more we don't need Nate.

And yes we needed to clear cap and he was the guy we didn't need.

Its just simple math the lightning value the rest of the team more than Nate Thompson and if they really thought he was important I think they could have worked around such a small contract that he had. (it just proves even more that he didn't fit into the Lightning's plans).

Look I'm going to TRY to not post on this particular topic any further. I think I made enough comments. I think I made myself clear. Thanks to the ones that didn't try to defend themselves here that takes a lot to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Sorry Hose and nice try.

Nice try what? They didn't move Thompson because he was a garbage player, that would be Crombeen and Purcell. I never said he was irreplaceable, I just didn't think it would be this soon.

Like LS said it was was cap reasons. If we sign Brian Boyle to take his spot then I can see they didn't think he was good enough to them. If we sign a top 6 forward and promote from within then it was purely for cap reasons.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
thompson talking to joe smith so getting off twitter am sure someone will post.

But absolutely shows what a stand up guy he is.

I am sad he is gone but happy for the future. I agree was a money move. Still believe we have to have an upgrade in place and that is not paquette or youth. That means a top forward above him making possible for someone lower to get time etc.. Work out their youth etc..

Thompson was very good for what he did and a good contract. Also always a fan of the alaskian's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad