Nate Thompson

Alivesi

Feb 1, 2012
Ontario
Even if you exclude this game where he had a sick breakaway and was generally amazing, this guy is such a harder worker and is one of our most consistent player.

Doesn't get much attention because he's on the fourth line but this guy deserves every bit of attention.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
One of the league's best kept secrets. Even the league's best kept secrets don't know about Thompson.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
One of my favorite moments from a CBS Sports broadcast was them talking about Nate. They said something along the lines of "Thompson isn't the most skilled players out there, but he will play wherever and however is needed to make the team better. I'm pretty sure he would put the goal pads on if he needed too."

I can't think of any better way to put it. Nate is one of the best utility players in the league. No one knows about him, no one understood why we gave a forth liner 1.6 million for four years, but we knew what we had.

I hope Nate stays here and wears the A for a long time. He is a good example for the kids and a true leader. Having him around will help a lot with leadership when Marty retires.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Nate has been one of my favorite players for a while. Such a hard working dedicated dude.. Any team would love to have a guy like him.. plus have you seen that handlebar mustache?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I wish he would've played more than his usual 8-11 minutes on our Western road trip. Every time he entered the zone he created an offensive chance - something all other three lines were desperately lacking. He's wearing a letter on his chest for a reason. Great guy on and off the ice.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I think he might be the most under rated guy in hockey. You know if hockey had the best sixth man?

I really wish we would give him more opportunity.

He is not the greatest finisher ever. Yet he creates. He wins faceoffs like he owns it lol. He is forgotten every game but hardly ever does his line no matter who is playing with cost us a goal much less a game lol.

Just a true warrior:) I love him doesnt hurt where he comes from also lol which all those guys are really big in my heart to make it:)

iwtb*

He's just that kind of player. Doesn't matter where you put him, he will play good. I was hoping that after Stamkos' injury he gets the chance but no. How can Cooper keep him in the fourth line? Very fast, good defence, and a heart of a lion.

Last edited by a moderator:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Just wondering if you guys still like Nate's long term impact on this club.

I was a huge fan of him in Providence and was disappointed when the Bruins lost him to waivers to the Islanders, although it allowed him to show his stuff in the big time....

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Just wondering if you guys still like Nate's long term impact on this club.

I was a huge fan of him in Providence and was disappointed when the Bruins lost him to waivers to the Islanders, although it allowed him to show his stuff in the big time....

I love him. He gives his all every night and wears a letter.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
For me he is useless. (and has no upside)

Can't finish an offensive pass or play to him and can't create. So not needed on the top 6.

As far as the 3rd line we are already overstocked there with Major upside players.

Basically he is a 4th liner that would only be playing a handful of mins. per game.

I think our team is pass that stage of needing him.

We are so loaded with youth so just keep giving our young players
opportunities to play and let Nate Man go. He served his purpose and
now its time to move on.

Trust me you won't miss him. (do not fall in love with a player, remember it's just as easy to fall in love with the better player that will replace him)

and as far as all that locker room crap, there are other guys, the team has 20 plus.

oh and penalty killing. I would love to see those stats. To me when we give up a goal he is the one on the ice. And he also has a hard time clearing the zone.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Can't finish an offensive pass or play to him and can't create. So not needed on the top 6.

As far as the 3rd line we are already overstocked there with Major upside players.

Basically he is a 4th liner that would only be playing a handful of mins. per game.

now its time to move on.

Trust me you won't miss him. (do not fall in love with a player, remember it's just as easy to fall in love with the better player that will replace him)

and as far as all that locker room crap, there are other guys, the team has 20 plus.

oh and penalty killing. I would love to see those stats. To me when we give up a goal he is the one on the ice. And he also has a hard time clearing the zone.
I have have no clue why you're bringing up the top 6. Of course he's not a top 6 player. That's been clear for many years. He's always been a 4th line guy and what he brings is not that different than other 4th liners around the league. You're entitled to your opinion but I think you're under valuing his leadership abilities and what he does in his 4th line role.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida

now its time to move on.

This isn't NHL 13 where you can just plug in a young forward and make him a quality 4th liner. We actually have very few prospects who could provide what Thompson does.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
edited

this was a little messy with the quote part ... re did a couple of posts down.

Last edited:

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
I partially agree with Boltman, I think he is a little overrated with lightning fans. However he does serve his purpose well as a 4th line center, nothing more or less. He is replaceable but no need to do that, unless we had a grittier faceoff guy. Now on the other hand I think Crombeen is useless. Paquette and a tougher faster player would serve better as 4th line wingers.

Edit: I could see a guy like Cody Kunyk coming in and possibly replacing that center role or winger. He doesnt have a ton of experience but he is 24 yrs old and should be able to hold his own.

Last edited:

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I have have no clue why you're bringing up the top 6. Of course he's not a top 6 player. That's been clear for many years. He's always been a 4th line guy and what he brings is not that different than other 4th liners around the league. You're entitled to your opinion but I think you're under valuing his leadership abilities and what he does in his 4th line role.

Thanks and I made my comments and I'm not one that wants to debate. (it becomes very boring when posters go back and forth). But you did say you have no clue why I brought up the top 6.

I wanted to make clear why he is not needed on the Lightning and I wanted to cover all lines.

As far as the 4th line (and not to become boring) unless we could trade away a bunch of young players that all have major upside and make room for Nate. Then I think if we don't trade away all our surplus that Nate with no upside is taking away from our youngsters developing time.

Thompson doesn't take any development time away from any prospect. What prospect do we have that could step in Thompson's spot and do a better job?

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011

Thanks and I made my comments and I'm not one that wants to debate. (it becomes very boring when posters go back and forth). But you did say you have no clue why I brought up the top 6.

I wanted to make clear why he is not needed on the Lightning and I wanted to cover all lines.

As far as the 4th line (and not to become boring) unless we could trade away a bunch of young players that all have major upside and make room for Nate. Then I think if we don't trade away all our surplus that Nate with no upside is taking away from our youngsters developing time.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
Thompson doesn't take any development time away from any prospect. What prospect do we have that could step in Thompson's spot and do a better job?

all q's shall be answered.

How do we know until we try somebody anybody ... Thompson is taking space up with no upside.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
all q's shall be answered.

How do we know until we try somebody anybody ... Thompson is taking space up with no upside.

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.

How do we know Thompson isn't actually a world class sniper? We might as well try him on first line center duty, after all, we don't know.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.

How do we know Thompson isn't actually a world class sniper? We might as well try him on first line center duty, after all, we don't know.

We already have seen the outcome of this from time to time when he had to fill in on the top 6.

So I'm sorry, that didn't make sense with what you said. (in all respect)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad