Value of: Nate Schmidt (VGK) at the TDL

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think there has to be a very specific set of circumstances here in order for this to happen. I think Vegas prefers to sign him but if he remains unsigned or unwilling to sign AND VGK are not in a playoff spot, what's the value? Can he play his off side?

1st round pick?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Isn't he their #1 defender?

Vegas should do everything they can to keep him.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Isn't he their #1 defender?

Vegas should do everything they can to keep him.

Absolutely, but I outlined the scenario that they can't come to an agreement on an extension and they're out of the playoffs. They could let him walk as they literally try to get as much time as possible to sign him but I am trying to look at it from an asset management stand point. Better to get something than nothing right?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Absolutely, but I outlined the scenario that they can't come to an agreement on an extension and they're out of the playoffs. They could let him walk as they literally try to get as much time as possible to sign him but I am trying to look at it from an asset management stand point. Better to get something than nothing right?

It's like Tavares. You take the chance of not moving the player to try and keep him. Not trading him may go a long way in showing that the team genuinely wants the player there. It's also an extra 3.5 months to work out the details of a negotiation, which is more than ample time for either party to change their mind.

It would really depend on how the negotiations have gone so far, which at best we'll only know an inkling of. Without knowing those details (how close they are, how much they've talked, the amount of mutual interest, etc.), it's impossible to speculate accurately on the likelihood of being traded.

The only way I see this happening is if Schmidt himself wants to move on, Vegas believes last year was an anomaly, and they try to begin acquiring assets for the future. I'd be quite surprised if this turns out to be the case.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think there has to be a very specific set of circumstances here in order for this to happen. I think Vegas prefers to sign him but if he remains unsigned or unwilling to sign AND VGK are not in a playoff spot, what's the value? Can he play his off side?

1st round pick?

Why would he be unwilling to sign? Who values him more than Vegas?

Why would Vegas give up their #1 defenseman for a late 1st?

nonono none of this makes any sense at all

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why would he be unwilling to sign? Who values him more than Vegas?

Why would Vegas give up their #1 defenseman for a late 1st?

nonono none of this makes any sense at all

When Vegas initially grabbed Schmidt in the expansion draft, they tried to go long term and Schmidt turned it down.

If it's let Schmidt walk for nothing and get a late 1st (or a late 1st+something), makes sense to grab something right?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
When Vegas initially grabbed Schmidt in the expansion draft, they tried to go long term and Schmidt turned it down.

They went to arbitration and settled on 2 years. Why would Schmidt commit his UFA years to an organization that just started to exist?

If it's let Schmidt walk for nothing and get a late 1st (or a late 1st+something), makes sense to grab something right?

No that makes absolutely no sense. They'd have 3 months after the deadline to talk contract, plus the 8 year option.

Giving up your #1d, who you want to re-sign, is asinine.

If he didn't go and get himself suspended he probably would have been extended by now.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
They went to arbitration and settled on 2 years. Why would Schmidt commit his UFA years to an organization that just started to exist?

No that makes absolutely no sense. They'd have 3 months after the deadline to talk contract, plus the 8 year option.

Giving up your #1d, who you want to re-sign, is asinine.

If he didn't go and get himself suspended he probably would have been extended by now.

Okay but rather than go back and forth with this, assume Schmidt has indicated he will not be re-signing. It's literally the entire point of this thread, let's not plug our fingers in our ears and go " la la la la" he's a pending UFA, Vegas hasn't started well, there is a chance he is going to be moved at the deadline, that's a fact. Let's talk about his value at the trade deadline.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Okay but rather than go back and forth with this, assume Schmidt has indicated he will not be re-signing. It's literally the entire point of this thread, let's not plug our fingers in our ears and go " la la la la" he's a pending UFA, Vegas hasn't started well, there is a chance he is going to be moved at the deadline, that's a fact. Let's talk about his value at the trade deadline.

The problem is that is a big assumption to make. It would be akin to assuming Matthews asks for a trade because he's unhappy with Toronto's negotiations and not being named captain. It it unbelievably crazy? No. Is it going to happen? Almost certainly not.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The problem is that is a big assumption to make. It would be akin to assuming Matthews asks for a trade because he's unhappy with Toronto's negotiations and not being named captain. It it unbelievably crazy? No. Is it going to happen? Almost certainly not.

RFA vs UFA.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
If a UFA isn't signed at the deadline he should be traded.

For Schmidt I would want a younger D plus in return.
For example Hanifin or Valimaki and additional picks from CGY.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Christ, i'd wait until July 1st at that ask lol.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He won't be making $925K any longer, his last salary with the Capitals.

The Caps can't easily afford him at what will surely be his rich new contract. The Capitals' top four of Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov, and Kempny is set at $21.35M. They would have to move one of their current top three defensemen to fit him.

Schmidt is going to get paid, probably in the $6M/yr range plus. I tend to think he re-ups with Vegas for $48M or so. He's got them by the short and curlies. It's also been a really good fit for him.

Reactions: MordredGK

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Holy shit that is a massive ask for a soon to be UFA lol

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He won't be making $925K any longer, his last salary with the Capitals.

The Caps can't easily afford him at what will surely be his rich new contract. The Capitals' top four of Carlson, Niskanen, Orlov, and Kempny is set at $21.35M. They would have to move one of their current top three defensemen to fit him.

Schmidt is going to get paid, probably in the $6M/yr range plus. I tend to think he re-ups with Vegas for $48M or so. He's got them by the short and curlies. It's also been a really good fit for him.

He already isnt making 925k... His Vegas deal came in at 2.25 AAV

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He already isnt making 925k... His Vegas deal came in at 2.25 AAV
He made $925K base salary when he was a Washington Capital through June 2017, which was a rate at which they could certainly afford him. He was a fantastic player for the Capitals at that salary.

His next contract is going to be well beyond this range, obviously, and well beyond his current two-year salary with Vegas, since he is now a proven No.1 defenseman with Finals experience in that role. Fitting him in at his UFA ask would require the Capitals to move another big salary now, like Oshie or Orlov. Fond memories, but he's outgrown the utility role he had in Washington. Since then, the Caps have replaced him and flourished.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Told ya they'd sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad