GDT: Nashville Predators v. St. Louis Blues 5pm @ The Bridge

Swedish playmaker*

Why would Trotz pick a 0 % in shootouts average/below average center. Thanks lost me some cash. :rant:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Good game guys, really enjoy the rivalry our two teams have developed.

Your PP is potent, definitely top 5 in the league.

Wilson had a great game, I have him pegged as a breakout player for this season.

Josi stepped into Suter's shoes with ease, really like the kid.

Trade Rinne please.

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan

Wilson had a great game, I have him pegged as a breakout player for this season.

Trade Rinne please.

Only if you trade Tarasenko.

Benighted

Dec 15, 2011

Trade Rinne please.

QFT. Your PP is still filthy.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Trade Rinne please.

We trade Rinne when you trade Tarasenko. Lawd!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Good game boys. Hopefully McDonald and whoever was shaken up for the Preds(Erat?) are only dinged up. Good luck the rest of the way!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Never been sadder to be right, but I said in the pregame thread that tarasenko was going to rip us to pieces.

Wilson is much better than smith so far. Colin has been our best forward

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Can we make the playoffs at 0-0-48? LMAO

It sucks losing in a shootout. It's worse when you give the second point to a West team. It is awful giving that point to a division opponent...and lo and behold, we've done it twice.

I thought the 1st period sucked, and we were very fortunate to be tied. We were sloppy, but buried two of the few real chances we had.

The 2nd and 3rd periods were much better, though not perfect. The 2nd and 3rd made it appear as if both teams were pretty evenly matched (and I think that is true).

The good - faceoffs - 36 wins, 28 losses -- without Gaustad. For as bad as puck possession was, we helped ease that with faceoff percentage.

The bad - puck control & shots allowed - 39 shots allowed (to 24 for) -- a lot of this due to poor puck control during several points in the game. From what I recall, 2 if not 3 of the Blues goals were the result of poor puck play.

The ugly - powerplay -- yes, we were 2 for 6, which is technically good. But it seemed to be feast or famine. It either looked very well organized, or it looked completely disorganized. We spent way too much time chasing the puck on a couple of those powerplays.

In the end -- we're very rusty, but have managed to grab two points. We need to win the 3rd period and not let it get to overtime. Right now, I have almost no confidence in our shootout. We can't keep letting it get to that point.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Sucks to be unable to shut the door a second game in a row, but I think there's some positives to take away from their play to this point. Hopefully the road trip will get them on track in terms of results.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
thank you! I see you mentioned hannan getting burned.. klein/hannan at -2 .. never liked that pairing in my head. how were they overall?

Hannan got beat on their first goal when he was indecisive .... retreated before making up his mind to play the man with the puck or take the passing lane and allowing Taresenko the open space cost us. The second goal they were out there for devolved into a scramble and a d-man came down to collect an open puck and get it past Peks. The Blues generated quality chances against all of our defensive pairings. Too many times our forwards got the puck and turned it over at the blueline without clearing the zone.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Hannan got beat on their first goal when he was indecisive .... retreated before making up his mind to play the man with the puck or take the passing lane and allowing Taresenko the open space cost us. The second goal they were out there for devolved into a scramble and a d-man came down to collect an open puck and get it past Peks. The Blues generated quality chances against all of our defensive pairings. Too many times our forwards got the puck and turned it over at the blueline without clearing the zone.
Even had Hannan jumped up on Tarasenko immediately, it was still a 3-2 entering the zone, and who knows what the result would have been. Like you say 101, his indecision caused the goal, though I think Peks probably needs to come up with one. Hannan misplayed it, but I'm not so sure he got "burned."

And you're absolutely right about the culpability of our forwards in the defensive/neutral zone. Poor clearances, poor passes, and some terribly poor decisions on breakouts. I think a lot of that is just rust and lack of rhythm, though, at this point in the season.

Way too early to tell, but Josi replacing Suter seems to be one of the lesser worries for this team at the moment.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Gotta love how the recap during the intermission in the Detroit game showed exact 0 of Nashville's three goals.

ninetynine*

Though I don't really like this I suspect Clune draws out tomorrow and the Preds play with 7 D in Minny.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
The inability to effectively clear the zone is a problem this team seems to run into at the beginning of every season lately.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Though I don't really like this I suspect Clune draws out tomorrow and the Preds play with 7 D in Minny.

We need Gaustad and BorkBorkBourque back in the lineup. I think that will ease the pressure a bit.

Right now we're barely playing 3.5 lines. We're best when we can roll 4 (obviously) and create quality chances against the other team's lower tier.

But for now...I think you might be right. If Clune is going to just be a clown out there, then we might as well spend those minutes shaking off some of Blum's rust.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
Josi and Wilson both with solid games. We have no creativity for shootouts and it's cost us 2 points already this season.

ninetynine*

We need Gaustad and BorkBorkBourque back in the lineup. I think that will ease the pressure a bit.

Right now we're barely playing 3.5 lines. We're best when we can roll 4 (obviously) and create quality chances against the other team's lower tier.

But for now...I think you might be right. If Clune is going to just be a clown out there, then we might as well spend those minutes shaking off some of Blum's rust.

I agree, once they're back Clune can be sent down. Yip and McGrattan can rotate the final forward spot. I'm a fan of toughness but I don't think Clune works here, especially after that first shift penalty.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
The inability to effectively clear the zone is a problem this team seems to run into at the beginning of every season lately.

Yeah. It's frustrating as hell. But I'd rather start slow than finish slow. Unfortunately, we don't have much time to d!ck around this season.

Bad puck possession seems to be a Predator hallmark at this point.

Oh well. Let's go beat the piss out of Ryan Suter and Minnesota.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
One guy I forgot to mention was Nick Spaling. He played out of his mind tonight. All over the ice, our best forechecker, and was two inches from a goalie (crossbar). Not sure why Gaustad was playing on the 3rd line over him.

Clune should be wearing #22, not Hannan. Literally a carbon copy of old Toots.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
We're missing someone like Smithson. Pure 4th line utility guy who is trustworthy in the d-zone and good at faceoffs. Dressing McGratton, Yip, and Clune is just silly. All three have no center experience and aren't known for their defensive prowess.

But in the end, the 4th line is the least of our problems.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
I agree, once they're back Clune can be sent down. Yip and McGrattan can rotate the final forward spot. I'm a fan of toughness but I don't think Clune works here, especially after that first shift penalty.

In this day and age, the pure hockey tough guy is obsolete. The big, lumbering goons have been replaced by smaller, scrappy ***** talkers who make borderline hits, draw penalties, and generally just get under the other team's skin. And usually those guys have some level of offensive/defensive skill that justifies them getting 10 or so minutes per game. We had that with Tootoo.

Who knows if Clune will eventually be that guy...but he didn't get off to a good start. He might as well go to Petsmart and pick out his favorite dog collar, because he's probably the newest resident of Trotz's doghouse (Wilson will send a box of chocolates).

Tough is fine. But don't be a tough traffic cone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad