Confirmed with Link: Nashville Predators Sign Hutton to a Two-Year Contract

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
He earned it ... hopefully Korn stays on and Hutton becomes the solid backup we need for Rinne.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I thought he did a pretty decent job once he got settled in. I think he did a ton of learning last year and you could see him get better as the season went on. For the money I think it was a pretty good signing.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I think he's a fine backup, but I'm a little sad this means we won't see as much of Mazanec for the next two years. Maybe a trade piece?

Congrats to King Hut, he earned it. Hopefully this persuades Korn to stay.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I think he's a fine backup, but I'm a little sad this means we won't see as much of Mazanec for the next two years. Maybe a trade piece?

Congrats to King Hut, he earned it. Hopefully this persuades Korn to stay.

And try and get 2 2nds like the Lindback trade? Sign me up haha we've got Saros and Hellberg as well wouldn't mind moving a goalie, but the negative is there is really no way to tell how they will pan out. One of them could reach Rinne status or all of them will spend their careers in lower levels

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Yeah, this works for me. Had some rough skids, but he panned out alright overall for a backup tender thrust into a lengthy starting role replacing one of the best tenders in the world. I would have likely had a meltdown in his shoes.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
At first blush, my thought was cheap signing and the team is not going to try and be a playoff team. Then I reviewed the stats. .05 GAA from #31. .10 from Save%. I wish the Preds could have signed someone more but this is a B+ move after consideration.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
That's reasonable. Hutton showed flashes of being a solid goaltender, then he had games where he looked overwhelmed. If he had played half as many games, which he would in an ideal season, I think he would have been a lot better for us than he was.

I would be a little disappointed if this meant the end of Mazanec as a Predator (who is a great athlete, but very raw), but it solidifies the situation at the top level as far as goaltending is concerned, something we couldn't say about this team going into last season.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Happy to have him back, he definitely earned it!

If he keeps up his play from last year, he and Pekka should make for a pretty good/great goalie duo.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Thats a solid deal, and cheaper than I expected given his numbers last season… Giving Pekka some rest will be important next year

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Very happy with this signing. He started out pretty bad last year but he handled being thrown into the fire well. toward the end of the season he played way better and he earned this contract. Happy to see the Preds kept him on for 2 more years.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
nonsense. I wouldn't give up on a goalie until he hits 27 or so. He is what 2 years into his pro career? Go look at pekka 2 years in.

I'd be surprised if Hellberg is even in our organization by the time he's 27. I imagine he'll go back to Europe if he's continually being shuffled between the AHL and ECHL year after year.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'd be surprised if Hellberg is even in our organization by the time he's 27. I imagine he'll go back to Europe if he's continually being shuffled between the AHL and ECHL year after year.

year after year?? wasnt last year his first in North America? and wasnt he hurt much of the time?

I think the goalie situation is pretty straightforward for the next two years, barring injury: Rinne and Hutton in the NHL, Mazanec and Hellberg in the AHL... if a clear winner between Maz and Hellberg emerges, they become the presumed next backup when Hutton leaves, and the loser gets jettisoned, making room for Saros to come over

as I said in another thread, I think Darling was just and Admirals signing, not Preds property

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
year after year?? wasnt last year his first in North America? and wasnt he hurt much of the time?

I think the goalie situation is pretty straightforward for the next two years, barring injury: Rinne and Hutton in the NHL, Mazanec and Hellberg in the AHL... if a clear winner between Maz and Hellberg emerges, they become the presumed next backup when Hutton leaves, and the loser gets jettisoned, making room for Saros to come over

as I said in another thread, I think Darling was just and Admirals signing, not Preds property

Hellberg now has 2 seasons in North America. His first season was 2012-2013
http://predators.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476433

MrMariusz

Nov 13, 2007
Belgium
Admirals/Nashville made it clear a while back that Darling will continue to develop within the organization.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hellberg starting the season in ECHL.

Congrats to Hutton, he looked like a legitimate NHL goalie once he got a couple games in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad