GDT: Nashville Predators @ Pittsburgh Penguins | 3/31/16 | 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
PREDATORS (39-25-13) at PENGUINS (43-25-8)

TV: 7 p.m. ET; NHLN, TVA Sports, SNO, SNW, SNP, FS-TN, ROOT

Season series: The Pittsburgh Penguins won 2-1 in overtime at Bridgestone Arena on Oct. 24. Nashville Predators forward James Neal scored against his former team 11:27 into the third period before Penguins forward Phil Kessel scored 41 seconds into overtime.

Predators team scope: After failing to clinch a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of its past two games, Nashville will have a third chance to do so Thursday. The Predators hold the first wild card into the playoffs from the Western Conference, nine points ahead of the Colorado Avalanche, who are chasing the Minnesota Wild for the second wild card. After losing 4-3 to Colorado and 5-2 to the Dallas Stars on consecutive nights, Nashville had a day off Wednesday before traveling to Pittsburgh. "We've had two games here where we had a chance to clinch a playoff spot and couldn't do it," goalie Pekka Rinne said, "so we just have to go to Pittsburgh and hopefully get it done over there." The Predators lost defenseman Ryan Ellis during the second period of their loss to the Stars on Tuesday. Ellis exited after absorbing a blow to the left side of his head from Dallas forward Patrick Eaves. Nashville coach Peter Laviolette said Ellis would be re-evaluated Wednesday. The Predators recalled defenseman Stefan Elliott from Milwaukee of the American Hockey League.

Penguins team scope: Pittsburgh will have an opportunity to overtake the New York Rangers for second place in the Metropolitan Division if it defeats Nashville and New York loses to the Carolina Hurricanes in regulation. With the exception of their power play, the Penguins have impressed in nearly every facet while winning nine of their past 10 games. Recent power-play struggles continued during a 5-4 shootout win against the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday, when it went 0-for-3 and allowed a shorthanded goal. The Penguins moved forward Beau Bennett and defenseman Justin Schultz onto the top unit entering the game Tuesday, but that seemed to be scrapped during practice Wednesday. Bennett and Schultz were moved off of the top unit that included forwards Sidney Crosby, Phil Kessel and Chris Kunitz with defensemen Kris Letang and Trevor Daley. Forward Evgeni Malkin (upper body) skated on his own before the Wednesday practice, but Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said Malkin's recovery time frame of 6-8 weeks from the date of his March 11 injury has not changed. "To try to keep him in his best skating shape and conditioning is important for his return," Sullivan said. "So that's part of the process, but there's no change." Sullivan also said forward Bryan Rust is day-to-day with a lower-body injury and will not play.

Go Pens!

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I want to see what the bottom 6 looks like without Rust. Fehr and Bennett should see more time tonight. I am willing to give them a few more games to see if they can elevate their play after the injury layoffs.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
I would imagine we see this:

Kunitz Crosby Hornqvist
Hagelin Bonino Kessel
Kuhnhackl Cullen Bennett
Sheary Sundqvist Fehr

Daley Letang
Pouliot Lovejoy
Cole Schultz

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
This been one hell of an impressive run since we lost Geno. A win here and a Rags loss and we move to 2nd in the division.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
This been one hell of an impressive run since we lost Geno. A win here and a Rags loss and we move to 2nd in the division.

That crazy to think about considering most of us (myself included) figured we were done for when Malkin went down. :handclap:

Go Pens?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
So the top pp is

Kunitz
Kessel Crosby
Daley Letang

I'd rather have PH as net front but I can live with that for now.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The pens better have one and only one thing they are focused on tonight..... Kidnapping James neal and disguising kunitz as him so the preds dont miss him for their brief playoff run. He could easily pass as kunitz with a far better shot ... Just tell everyone he got his iron back

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
So the top pp is

Kunitz
Kessel Crosby
Daley Letang

I'd rather have PH as net front but I can live with that for now.

Call me crazy, but I've been entertaining the possibility of Kuhnhackl replacing Kessel on the powerplay. He's got a great one timer (he absolutely hammers it on target), which no forward on the powerplay really seems to have. Especially Kessel, who can't even shoot a one timer to begin with. I know Kessel is right handed, but if he can't shoot a one timer then he's an empty threat to score on a quick dish. Plus Kuhnhackl always makes the right pass (accurately, I might add) and is great at puck possession.

I think Phil has been playing great as of late, but certainly not on the powerplay.

I'd go:

Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl Crosby
Pouliot Letang

Disclaimer: They'll never do that. But I don't see why they wouldn't at least try. I think it's time to shake things up a little bit. The things they're trying aren't working.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
That crazy to think about considering most of us (myself included) figured we were done for when Malkin went down. :handclap:

Go Pens?

I thought they were done too, I didn't expect to see the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines perform the way they have. They have really stepped up and prevented us from becoming the one-line team this could have easily been.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Man, sucks about Rust. He's one of our little engines that could, and his energy will have to be replaced by the other kids. We often relied on him as a spark plug after our customary slow start to games. Hope we get to the game on time tonight.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I hope James Neal zips his dick in his fly and goes on LTIR so I won't have to hear about how sad people are that he's not here.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
There's a reason they call him the REAL DEAL don't ya know...

VlnLOWV.gif

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Doug MacLean just said on Sportsnet that the coaching change had nothing to do with Sid's turnaround lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad