Nashville Predators 2014 NHL Draft preview

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
I just have to ask why you would fret over this years draft?? Regardless of who we pick, it wont have any effect on the team during the next three seasons... and in those three seasons we will either regain our perennial playoff contender status, or Poile will be gone and we will rebuild, but whatever happens wont happen because of what we do or dont do this draft

Well, I expect the team to last more than 3 seasons, and 2016-2017 will get here eventually.

And when it does, it would be good to have some high end offensive talent ready to make it to the league - especially considering we expect to still have Weber, Josi, and Jones on the team.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
If a blueliner is BPA at #11, trade the pick. Last year's draft was obviously far superior, but look at NJD's haul with the 9th pick (Schneider).

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have seen a grand total of one other mock draft/prospect ranking, reputable or otherwise, with Honka above 15: Adam Kimelman has him at 14. Nobody I've seen except HF has the Predators going defense. I've seen three with Nylander and two each with Tuch and Perlini (McKenzie ranks him 11th), but Honka feels like a reach. Poile could trade down a handful of spots and he'll probably still be there.

Unlike in years past going into draft day, I don't think there's a feeling of compulsion to keep our first-round pick, especially if there's a run on forwards in the preceding picks. I think we try to fill a need, whether by selecting the best forward available, or trading the pick for a forward of quality, or trading down, amassing picks and working the board to get the players the staff want the most.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
Do we all forget the but yah i pretty much know what we are takig talk from our gm.. I dot think we need to worry about going def.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
There is no concensus on this years draft after pick #5. If I were Poile, I would either trade up into the top 5 or I would trade the pick for immediate help. The only problem is, it would appear the overall opinion about this draft class is poor so our return on a first maybe minimal compared to usual years.

Lavs wil have already evaluated the roster and selected players he doesn't feel like fit the style of game he wants to play. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two players traded at the draft.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I have seen a grand total of one other mock draft/prospect ranking, reputable or otherwise, with Honka above 15: Adam Kimelman has him at 14. Nobody I've seen except HF has the Predators going defense. I've seen three with Nylander and two each with Tuch and Perlini (McKenzie ranks him 11th), but Honka feels like a reach. Poile could trade down a handful of spots and he'll probably still be there.

Unlike in years past going into draft day, I don't think there's a feeling of compulsion to keep our first-round pick, especially if there's a run on forwards in the preceding picks. I think we try to fill a need, whether by selecting the best forward available, or trading the pick for a forward of quality, or trading down, amassing picks and working the board to get the players the staff want the most.

Your pretty much spot on. The quality of players in the draft is far below the draft last year and the position DP picks makes it pretty meaningless unless Nylander is still there. Trading the pick for other picks is pretty meaningless this year for a few reasons.

1 The Owners made the decision to take the franchise in a different direction in replacing the coach. They now need NHL ready players to implement this change.

2 In the past DP has just gobbled as many picks as he could get most years taking a glut of offensive players that have been average or below. Radulov was the exception and he was a nutcase. The quantity over quality piece has the organization loaded with tweeners and ZERO topline players currently. While it can be argued that Smith and Horqvist are good second liners on playoff contending teams in most all cases there 3rd line talent. Having a large number of picks has bee like the old analogy throwing crap on the wall and see what sticks.

If DP can't address a need with a player that is NHL ready in two years the team will be better served to trade that pick and a player or two for someone that can crack the 2nd line. That's the best case I can see because they will not move any of the defense pieces and without one of those guys 1st line talent is not going to get much traction in trade negations.

One thing I think is going on right now is DP and Brian Murry are in contact over Spezza. I also think that it will fail because Spezza will not want to come here. Murry would love to take what DP offers up since he will need to take the bets offer that he can work out with Spezza. Murry admitted recently that there were a number of team in contact with him over Spezza. This was on NHL live since I must post sources now. He did not name specific teams but when you look at the Preds needs and Fisher still having contacts there it just makes sense the Preds would be one of those teams in negoations.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I would trade for Spezza but I think the price will be too high. Let's just build for the future five years and develop a powerhouse rather than give up excessive amounts of assets for a short term fix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad