Nashville Management reacts to poor start

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
After managing only 3 wins in regulation during the first 13 games, GM Tony Kapfenberger decided that enough is enough and started to explore trade options. First victim was defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo who was moved to Carolina for the former Predators prospect Anton Babchuk. Babchuk was moved 2 seasons ago to Carolina in a move that brought future Hall of Famer Scott Niedermayer to Nashville.

But the more significant move happened today. The struggling Kari Lehtonen was traded along with 3rd line winger Milan Michalek to the New York Rangers for allstar goalie Tim Thomas. This move should give the Predators quality through all parts of the team, from goal to forwards and gives the team every opportunity to make noise in the league and push for the playoffs.

Also going to the New York Rangers is prospect Dustin Jeffrey, while Nashville acquires speedy two-way forward Jim Slater as well as Ottawa's 5th round selection in the 2011 draft.

The goal for the Predators now is to make the playoffs and then go from there. This is probably the best Predators team on the ice since GM Kapfenberger has taken over - it's time to deliver results.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Full deal broke down like this:

To NY: Kari Lehtonen, Milan Michalek, Dustin Jeffrey
To Nashville: Tim Thomas, Jim Slater, OTT 5th 2011

Starting the movement to get younger. I would have been very happy to re-sign Thomas (contract expires after this season), but I'm not sure it would be worth it given my supporting cast. Lehtonen is still only 27 and is having a pretty good season for one of the best teams in the NHL; Michalek isn't producing in Ottawa, but has shown signs of life lately is still only 26. I'm high on Jeffrey's potential and think he may be able to step into my lineup as early as next season in a bottom 6 role.

Great deal and opportunity for Tony to add one of the premier goaltenders in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad