Proposal: Nash NJ offseason

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Saros is 28.

Why does NJ want an older rental goalie? Bad goalie play just derailed your season to the tune of a 10th overall pick in a weak draft.

You should have been in the playoffs.
funny this comes from an avs fan, as your team goes with a new stop gap goalie every other season.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Saros is 28.

Why does NJ want an older rental goalie? Bad goalie play just derailed your season to the tune of a 10th overall pick in a weak draft.

You should have been in the playoffs.
29 now 30 when pred deal is up....New contract he will want high aav term trade protection.....

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
No one knows what he is looking for contract wise. I'd say trade protection most likely but from an AAV and term stand point we haven't heard a peep on that.
Only rumor we heard is when Trotz approached him when he was saying he wasn't trading him ....Said after talks the ask and term was high then was open to trading him ....BS or truth I don't know but I'd assume he will want a bump to at least mid six per and term ....Nashville if reasonable should sign him and pair him with Askarov .....

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We probably won't hear anything else on Saros until mid-July-ish. If the Devils still need a goalie by then, it may become relevant to revisit this thread.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We have a much better roster than either NJ or Nashville.

Markstrom is an injury prone guy that turns 35 in January.
I think NJ is hoping one of their young goalies can develop in the next couple of years. Markstrom is a placeholder. Saros or someone similar is a long term expensive commitment and you have no feel for whether he'd even work out behind NJ. If, as you suggest, NJ doesn't have the roster to play an average goalie, then they'd be best served upgrading the roster unless you believe one goalie you are stuck with longterm can makeup for all the failings of the skaters?

Reactions: Smitty426

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
We have a much better roster than either NJ or Nashville.

Markstrom is an injury prone guy that turns 35 in January.
I think he was of interest for it's only two more years....If he gave us two years of good goaltending would bridge us to our young goalies coming in....You do have a better team as of now...Most Devils fans know our window is just opening some act like it's closing and that we should deal everything for a goalie when it's not the only piece we need....

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think he was of interest for it's only two more years....If he gave us two years of good goaltending would bridge us to our young goalies coming in....You do have a better team as of now...Most Devils fans know our window is just opening some act like it's closing and that we should deal everything for a goalie when it's not the only piece we need....
Cost of Markstrom would decide if it’s smart or not. He’s been bad the past few years until this most recent one. Injured a lot too. Risky guy to acquire. Very risky if he costs something like Mercer or a 1st. He’s definitely not worth that. I wouldn’t offer more than Holtz for him. Markstrom is not that good, he’s old and he’s hurt a lot.

Very risky, even with retention. Awfully risky without it.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Cost of Markstrom would decide if it’s smart or not. He’s been bad the past few years until this most recent one. Injured a lot too. Risky guy to acquire. Very risky if he costs something like Mercer or a 1st. He’s definitely not worth that. I wouldn’t offer more than Holtz for him. Markstrom is not that good, he’s old and he’s hurt a lot.

Very risky, even with retention. Awfully risky without it.
I would never offer any of the three...Just saying I think that's their thought process...If Calgary was offered a first and Holtz they screwed the pooch in not taking deal......

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I feel like its an underpay from the Devils, but nevertheless, they can't trade the 2nd in 25 as its already under condition in a trade.
If we trade for Juuse Saros and Jake Allen still ends up playing 40+ games then Juuse Saros was not worth that 2nd rounder in the 1st place

• Haha
Reactions: MajorWeber

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
LOL. New Jersey adds Mercer + their 2024 1st and removes Holtz + the 2025 2nd.

Holtz carries minor/modest value at best.
When was the last time a goaltender who’s set to be a UFA returned a top 10 pick much less a good young player already playing in the NHL? Would the Devils bump the 2025 2nd up to a 1st. With Saros, it’d likely be in the 18-24 range right?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The timeline just doesn't make sense for the Devils' 2024 #10 pick anyway. So it's going to be the (presumably lower, less valuable) 2025 1st pick from New Jersey that would be in play in any eventual Saros deal.

If it gets to that point where the Predators have decided they can't retain Saros (I doubt it will get to that, but *IF*)... then the 2025 1st + Holtz + goalie would be alright as a return. The Preds don't have goalies in the pipeline other than Askarov... Schmid or Daws coming back as a lesser piece in the deal would be useful for the Preds/Milwaukee.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
The timeline just doesn't make sense for the Devils' 2024 #10 pick anyway. So it's going to be the (presumably lower, less valuable) 2025 1st pick from New Jersey that would be in play in any eventual Saros deal.

If it gets to that point where the Predators have decided they can't retain Saros (I doubt it will get to that, but *IF*)... then the 2025 1st + Holtz + goalie would be alright as a return. The Preds don't have goalies in the pipeline other than Askarov... Schmid or Daws coming back as a lesser piece in the deal would be useful for the Preds/Milwaukee.
2025 1st, Holtz and either Daws or Schmid? That's a massive overpayment for a rental goalie.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
2025 1st, Holtz and either Daws or Schmid? That's a massive overpayment for a rental goalie.
That’s certainly the bare minimum of what I’d take - and then only under the duress of being essentially forced to trade Saros due to a contract impasse.

I don’t think you’ll have to worry about it though. There either won’t be a contract impasse at all or the Devils will not be looking at Saros as a rental. Either of those far likelier scenarios renders our valuations moot.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Heard some talk yesterday about Detroit being willing to part with 15 in a goalie trade. That’s interesting.

I’d heard they’re going to be calling around about a dman using that pick as part of a package, but hadn’t heard they’re gonna get really serious about upgrading their net for the next few years.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That’s certainly the bare minimum of what I’d take - and then only under the duress of being essentially forced to trade Saros due to a contract impasse.

I don’t think you’ll have to worry about it though. There either won’t be a contract impasse at all or the Devils will not be looking at Saros as a rental. Either of those far likelier scenarios renders our valuations moot.
I agree about the contract piece as I also think he'll re-sign in Nashville, but without a contract in place everyone would be forced to look at him as a rental. So there is very little chance any team pays the price you're asking, they're more likely to wait for him to hit free agency and overpay him then without giving up all those pieces.

*This does not mean I think the Devils should wait for him to become a free agent or that he'd sign with them if he was one*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad