Name your Top5 Jersey players 23/24

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
Dissapointing season. But, we can still do it!

My Top5:
1. Bratt
2. Hischier
3. J. Hughes
4. Nemec
5. L. Hughes - hard between him and Allen

Glad to see the rookies on my list. We had our defensive struggle - but future seems bright as well.

And happy to see three young core players leading the list.

Let's hope we stay healthy next season - and Meier starts where he finished.

Curious about Mercer. For sure, his price dropped. Maybe, that's something that pays out soon.

Seeing some positives here 😆

Reactions: My3Sons

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Nemec was a teenager until a few months ago, he came in and instantly felt like the most responsible defenseman on the team. He makes me wanna make an absolutely unhinged and forbidden comparison that may or may not rhyme with Slick Slidstrom. Not sure about my top 5 but Nemec is #1 with a bullet.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

My Top5:
1. Bratt
2. Hischier
3. J. Hughes
4. Nemec

Glad to see the rookies on my list. We had our defensive struggle - but future seems bright as well.

Curious about Mercer. For sure, his price dropped. Maybe, that's something that pays out soon.

I wouldn’t replace anyone, but Lazar needs his flowers.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

My Top5:
1. Bratt
2. Hischier
3. J. Hughes
4. Nemec

Add a healthy Meier and that’s your core team for the foreseeable future. Hopefully Hamilton recovers fully and NJ can add him to the core.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You want to hear something wild...

Luke Hughes 47 points was the 15th highest point total from a Devils Defenseman in the history of the organization. Think about that....Dman points aren't the be-all end-all but 47 points from a 20 year old rookie defender is phenomenal.

The defense was bad this year and all the young defenders struggled mightily from degrees of bad to atrocious but I don't completely blame them...

Bratt and Luke were the only two bright spots in my view. I think it's impossible to select 5 players.

Last edited:

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Relative to expectations for the season as a whole overall?

- Bratt (best player, self explanatory)
- Hischier (injury aside was pretty consistent)
- L. Hughes (hit a wall in the middle, but really good before/after, esp the end portion)
- Lazar (showed up to play every night)
- Holtz (production dried up in the latter stages and sure he has warts, but never would have thought he would push the 20G range especially with his deployment being what it was)

Meier was a beast the last two-ish months but had to judge by entire season (seemingly not his fault given injuries and shit). Also, left Nemec off bc I thought he was kinda horseshit down the final stretch (understandable considering he’s a child)

Last edited:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
This is a tough list. Bratt and Nico are the only players who I thought were really good.

Jack Hughes, Toffoli and Meier were decent for what our expectations were. Meiers success came too late and Jack's injury hampered him.

I'm happy with Luke. We expected defense to be rough, but he showed a lot of promise that he'll be an excellent defender, especially offensively. Nemec was good for the most part as well.

Mikey would be in my top 5 if not for him being a POS.

So I'll go

1. Bratt
2. Nico
3. Jack
4. Toffoli
5. Nemec

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
Nemec, Hischier, Bratt, Luke Hughes, and finally Colin Miller for somehow retaining trade value despite being scratched or injured for large chunks of the season.
I liked Miller on the roster. He was one of the more pleasant appearances and sometimes looked very steady ... i expected to see him go on the TDL. If somehow affordable, they should keep him around as bottom pairing or depth player.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I feel like these lists are just our best/core players with an excuse as to why they deserve to be on here or it's a rookie like Nemec or Luke.

This team mainly missed the playoffs because of goaltending , coaching and injuries. If we avoided one of those 3 things for the most part this season than we would have made the playoffs 100%.

I'd say my top 5 would be Bratt , Luke Hughes , Nemec , Lazar & Jake Allen/Kappo Kahkonnen.

I wasn't a fan of bringing those 2 goalies in but they both played really well for us in their limited amount of games. Allen was fantastic his first few games and gave this team a shot at a wild card spot. I don't wanna overrate him but he should be a good/reliable 1B goalie for us next season.

Honorable mention goes to Holtz. He produced pretty well playing bottom minutes with no real powerplay time and bad linemates. He had his moments getting top 6 minutes but never really thrived playing there. He deserves another chance this year and it coretty much decide his fate here if he isn't traded this summer.

Jack and Timo had good seasons despite being injured.

Reactions: My3Sons and amikaro

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
I feel like these lists are just our best/core players with an excuse as to why they deserve to be on here or it's a rookie like Nemec or Luke.

This team mainly missed the playoffs because of goaltending , coaching and injuries. If we avoided one of those 3 things for the most part this season than we would have made the playoffs 100%.

I'd say my top 5 would be Bratt , Luke Hughes , Nemec , Lazar & Jake Allen/Kappo Kahkonnen.

I wasn't a fan of bringing those 2 goalies in but they both played really well for us in their limited amount of games. Allen was fantastic his first few games and gave this team a shot at a wild card spot. I don't wanna overrate him but he should be a good/reliable 1B goalie for us next season.

Honorable mention goes to Holtz. He produced pretty well playing bottom minutes with no real powerplay time and bad linemates. He had his moments getting top 6 minutes but never really thrived playing there. He deserves another chance this year and it coretty much decide his fate here if he isn't traded this summer.

Jack and Timo had good seasons despite being injured.
Add losing McLeod and you got 4 reasons :-/

Lots went wrong this season. Hope they're taking their learnings.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Pretty much agree with the consensus listed here, a lot of the issues of this team was the heavy lifting done by their stars. You need depth pieces to show up on the defense side or forward side, we virtually had none of that after McLeod rightfully got sent to the shadow realm.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Playing well for part of the season can never be a positive or a bright spot in my view...

All these list with Meier and Jack on them are mind blowing to me. Meier just had his lowest point total in 4 years. In his first 40 games he had 10 goals...Sure he may have shown some excellent play in the last third of the season....but it was a third of the season. Of course it wasn't his fault, injuries and circumstances played an enormous part...but the end result is what it is...and it is kind of disappointing. Same for Jack... I would say even say moreso for Jack.

Jack dropped 25 points from last season, Meier 14, Nico 13....we didn't have a single 30 goal scorer... last year we had 3. Those three. 52 points of productivity loss from 3 players is the equivalent of losing a top 6 player.

I find it strange when people want to talk about rates or points per game or per 60.... usually means someone wasn't healthy. Staying healthy is as important as the production and the rate in a small portion of the season is meaningless...the total, the actual numbers is the hard currency in the difference between winning and losing.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
All 82 starts

Vitek 29 starts -17 wins - .890
Daws 20 starts - 9 wins - .894
Schmid 15 starts -5 wins - .895
Allen 12 starts - 6 wins - .900

Kahkonen 6 starts - 1 win - .923

It's really amazing that just about every goaltender we used had the same exact numbers and won games at about the same rate.

I would imagine if you took the bottom 10 or so teams the majority of the goaltenders would have similar looking stats.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Playing well for part of the season can never be a positive or a bright spot in my view...

All these list with Meier and Jack on them are mind blowing to me. Meier just had his lowest point total in 4 years. In his first 40 games he had 10 goals...Sure he may have shown some excellent play in the last third of the season....but it was a third of the season. Of course it wasn't his fault, injuries and circumstances played an enormous part...but the end result is what it is...and it is kind of disappointing. Same for Jack... I would say even say moreso for Jack.

Jack dropped 25 points from last season, Meier 14, Nico 13....we didn't have a single 30 goal scorer... last year we had 3. Those three. 52 points of productivity loss from 3 players is the equivalent of losing a top 6 player.

I find it strange when people want to talk about rates or points per game or per 60.... usually means someone wasn't healthy. Staying healthy is as important as the production and the rate in a small portion of the season is meaningless...the total, the actual numbers is the hard currency in the difference between winning and losing.
Best ability is availability

Reactions: JimEIV

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
All 82 starts

Vitek 29 starts -17 wins - .890
Daws 20 starts - 9 wins - .894
Schmid 15 starts -5 wins - .895
Allen 12 starts - 6 wins - .900

Kahkonen 6 starts - 1 win - .923

It's really amazing that just about every goaltender we used had the same exact numbers and won games at about the same rate.

I would imagine if you took the bottom 10 or so teams the majority of the goaltenders would have similar looking stats.
Allen and Kahkonen only got to play for not only the inferior head coach of the two the team had this year, but one of the worst head coaches the league has seen in the last decade.

It's pretty sad that as well as Kahkonen played, he had to get a shutout to get a win.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Allen and Kahkonen only got to play for not only the inferior head coach of the two the team had this year, but one of the worst head coaches the league has seen in the last decade.

It's pretty sad that as well as Kahkonen played, he had to get a shutout to get a win.
If Kahkonen got to 12 or 15 starts he'd be right there with the rest of them...Green was only 21 games and the on-ice results weren't much different than the previous 61 games.

The goaltenders before and after the coaching change have very similar results.... cause it's the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad