name the 23

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
offense is just weak. lots of hoping young guys produce.

what's up for debate with the forwards? your list seems like the pretty likely roster

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Neal-Ribeiro-Forsberg
Lawfirm
Cullen-Hook-Jokinen
Clune-Gaustad-Nystrom

Stalberg, Beck,

Bourque is Waived

Weber, Josi, Jones, Ekholm, Ellis, Alm, Volchenkov

Rinne
Hutton

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think 7 defensemen.

Weber
Josi
Jones
Ekholm
Ellis
Bartley

2 goalies

Rinne
Hutton

14 forwards

Smith
Neal
Ribeiro
Wilson
Roy
Jarnkrok
Jokinen
Gaustad
Clune
Borque
Forsberg
Nystrom
Cullen
Beck

IR

Stahlberg
Fisher

With Stalberg on IR there is little to debate. I don't think Fiala stays, no matter how good he has looked. The big question is who gets sent down when Stalberg is healthy. My guess is Forsberg needs to play well enough that they can't send him down and force them to demote Beck. If he doesn't play really well, I suspect his waiver exempt status could get him shipped down

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
With Stalberg on IR there is little to debate. I don't think Fiala stays, no matter how good he has looked. The big question is who gets sent down when Stalberg is healthy. My guess is Forsberg needs to play well enough that they can't send him down and force them to demote Beck. If he doesn't play really well, I suspect his waiver exempt status could get him shipped down
I would hope the waiver status isn't the only reason. I want the coach playing the better players. I don't know that Stalberg is a better option even if he is healthy.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wouldn't shock me to see Fiala be in the line up until someone comes back from injury, especially if they are due back before or around that Game 9 limit. I don't see him making it for the entire season though, simply because with next year putting him in the line up will probably be needed with so many contracts up.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I should already know this, but what's the deal with Fiala? If he doesn't make the roster does he go back to Sweden? If he starts out with the Preds and plays less than 10 games, does he go to Sweden or Milwaukee? Is sending him to Milwaukee to start, and have him be an injury call-up an option? I can never remember how this stuff works.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I should already know this, but what's the deal with Fiala? If he doesn't make the roster does he go back to Sweden? If he starts out with the Preds and plays less than 10 games, does he go to Sweden or Milwaukee? Is sending him to Milwaukee to start, and have him be an injury call-up an option? I can never remember how this stuff works.

It's either Nashville or the SHL for him. No Milwaukee and this was a decision he made during the summer.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Neal-Ribeiro-Forsberg
Lawfirm
Cullen-Hook-Jokinen
Clune-Gaustad-Nystrom

Stalberg, Beck,

Bourque is Waived

Weber, Josi, Jones, Ekholm, Ellis, Alm, Volchenkov

Rinne
Hutton

Why waive Bourque and keep Clune? I like Clune, but losing Bourque to keep Clune is a loss. Also expect to see Bartley as the 7th and Alm in Milwaukee. Once Stålberg and Fisher come back things are going to get interesting.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Bourque is better at hockey than Stalberg, as well.

I want to see Stålberg in Lavy's system with proper linemates. I'm not expecting him to light the world on fire, but if he's not trying to play a defensive role with Nystrom and Gaustad then I think we may see Stålberg start to shine just a bit.

Stålberg > Clune
Bourque > Clune

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Bourque is better at hockey than Stalberg, as well.

I agree. no way you can waive Bourque and not lose him. Someone would pick him up instantly. He is a solid 3rd line winger with upside still.

With the injuries it will make their choices easier for sure. Fiala simply isn't ready and another year in the SHL will do more for him than most places would. I would say it is better than him playing in the AHL for his development. If he doesn't make the roster next season I hope he moves to the AHL simply to get used to the smaller ice a bit more.

FFWRX

Unregistered User
Feb 12, 2007
Greenbrier, TN
To start the season:

IR
Stahlberg
Fisher

Forsberg Ribeiro Neal
Roy Wilson Smith
Cullen Jarnkrok Jokinen
Borque Gaustad Beck
Clune
Nystrom

Josi Weber
Ekholm Jones
Volchenkov Ellis
Bartley

Rinne
Hutton

I have no idea how to slot Fisher or Stahlberg in or when to put Clune and Nystrom in for Borque and Beck.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I want to see Stålberg in Lavy's system with proper linemates. I'm not expecting him to light the world on fire, but if he's not trying to play a defensive role with Nystrom and Gaustad then I think we may see Stålberg start to shine just a bit.

Stålberg > Clune
Bourque > Clune
From what I've seen though, Bourque is just as fast but has a higher motor, forechecks better and can be used in more roles than Stalberg.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
From what I've seen though, Bourque is just as fast but has a higher motor, forechecks better and can be used in more roles than Stalberg.

Trotz never gave Stålberg a chance to succeed. He simply never wanted him to begin with. He's not a top 3 player, and at the moment I wouldn't say he's a top 6 player until he proves something in Lavy's system. You could slot him, and possibly Bourque, on the 3rd line and catch a lot of teams off guard by the speed they present.

Oh, and I'm not a Nystrom fan either, tell me again what he brings to the table?

Nystrom sticks up for his teammates. We won't play Clune every game, but Nystrom is good enough to be on the 4th line most nights. He's a good team guy and he does his job. Not the best hockey player anymore, but he knows his role.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Gaustad can fight better than Nystrom.

But fighting is being pushed out of hockey anyway.

And are we at a point were we need to keep a guy because he had 6 fights last season?

He was by far our worst defensive forward last season. He isn't that physical or a hard forechecker either. He was really good at letting pucks bounce off him in that one game though.

Last edited:

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Gaustad can fight better than Nystrom.

But fighting is being pushed out of hockey anyway.

I'd rather have Nystrom in the box for 5 minutes. Gaustad is more useful on the ice. His defensive abilities and faceoff abilities make him more useful for those 5 minutes.

Fighting is being pushed out, but there's still times when players take exception and drop the gloves to stand up for themselves or a teammate. This part of the sport will never change. The staged goon fights are starting to disappear, the legitimate fights are not.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'd rather have Nystrom in the box for 5 minutes. Gaustad is more useful on the ice. His defensive abilities and faceoff abilities make him more useful for those 5 minutes.

Fighting is being pushed out, but there's still times when players take exception and drop the gloves to stand up for themselves or a teammate. This part of the sport will never change. The staged goon fights are starting to disappear, the legitimate fights are not.
I would agree with you if Nystrom was actually good at fighting or anything else, he's not.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Trotz never gave Stålberg a chance to succeed. He simply never wanted him to begin with. He's not a top 3 player, and at the moment I wouldn't say he's a top 6 player until he proves something in Lavy's system. You could slot him, and possibly Bourque, on the 3rd line and catch a lot of teams off guard by the speed they present.
Stalberg has done nothing to warrant the belief he's a top 6 player at any of his destinations. All we'd be doing by placing him with "proper linemates" is putting him with players that are going to carry him and his production. Considering Bourque's superior play in other areas of the game, I don't see the justification for giving Stalberg that kind of treatment.

As to Nystrom and Clune, anybody not expecting to see them flanking Goose on the 4th line for most of the season are setting themselves up for disappointment. Beck is pointless there, and while I can see Bourque and Stalberg (and Olli?) being slotted in there from time to time, I'm not sure they consistently bring much more to the table in that 4th line role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad