Name a winger who was a vastly better playmaker than goal scorer

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Sergei Samsonov, especially pre wrist injury.

His ability to stickhandle in the tightest spaces, and seemingly never lose the puck along the boards made him a damn good playmaker. He'd routinely set up on the boards, work into an opening, and thread a pass right on target for an easy goal.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Karyia is to me in the same vain as D Sedin in that he’s not a “vastly better playmaker than goal scorer) as per the thread title.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Paul Kariya.

Perhaps in juniors and the twilight NHL version. Peak NHL version, not even remotely close. Only two players have a single season or seasons with more shots on goal than Kariya, Esposito (1) and Ovechkin (2). Does that sound like a player always looking to pass?

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Joe Juneau played wing with Boston (161-51-142-193) mostly with Oates and Neely. Not sure if he played center or wing w/ RPI and Canada, he did play both with Washington, I think, and mostly center with Montreal, I see him listed as a winger with Phoenix. Looked to make the pass the majority of the time.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Rogue Winger

Mar 10, 2018
Already mentioned, but Jagr and Recchi were first names I thought when thinking about retired players.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Perhaps in juniors and the twilight NHL version. Peak NHL version, not even remotely close. Only two players have a single season or seasons with more shots on goal than Kariya, Esposito (1) and Ovechkin (2). Does that sound like a player always looking to pass?

How many Kariya's games you actually saw? I saw many from TV. And i can say this, he was a pure play maker, most of his NHL career.
The goal totals, nor shots on goal from one season tell nothing how he played, he was always pass first guy.

Selänne&Kariya was that time at Ducks, the best two players in the NHL and obviously the best duo as well,
their game worked like a thought, it was like they were one player, not two.

Kariya made the play, Selänne finished them, although....sometimes they switched the roles, made opponents guess,
that's what made their game so special.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
How many Kariya's games you actually saw?

I've only seen two NHL games live (NSH vs ANA, NSH vs CHI, in 98–99) (I'm a Euro and live on a different continent) and he was in one of them. For a winger he was a lot in the middle taking shots, even scored a goal. 0 assists on the night. ;)

Seriously though, he led the league in shots twice (once despite only playing 69 games) in his first 4/5 years in the league, which coincided with his peak. That's not a pass first player.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I've only seen two NHL games live (NSH vs ANA, NSH vs CHI, in 98–99) (I'm a Euro and live on a different continent) and he was in one of them. For a winger he was a lot in the middle taking shots, even scored a goal. 0 assists on the night. ;)

Seriously though, he led the league in shots twice (once despite only playing 69 games) in his first 4/5 years in the league, which coincided with his peak. That's not a pass first player.

Its how he played the game. It wasn't about his stats (sog), BTW. when has it ever been :)
- you are forgetting rebounds (which are sog as well) Teemu shot tooooooooons of shots, he didn't score every time :)
they (Teemu&Paul) basically invented the hard shot to pads (toes part) for rebounds thing.
(which isn't even used that much anymore these days, for some reason)

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
- you are forgetting rebounds (which are sog as well) Teemu shot tooooooooons of shots, he didn't score every time :)

Are you saying Paul scored a lot of his goals on rebounds? Like... say Andreychuk?

they (Teemu&Paul) basically invented the hard shot to pads (toes part) for rebounds thing.
(which isn't even used that much anymore these days, for some reason)

Do you have any video evidence of this?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Would it be fair to say Prospal? He had some years of good goal-scoring but I remember him as mainly a playmaker. Ended his career nicely with a team-high 30 pts for the Blue Jackets back in the shortened season of 12/13.

Current guy could be Rantanen but his career is still young so we will see about that. Great playmaker any way.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Kariya was one of the best scorers of the league before is injury with quite the shot, if he was vastly better playmaker that made him quite elite.

kariya goal per games peak:
1996-97 NHL 0.64 (5th)
1999-00 NHL 0.57 (3rd)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Assist per game:
1996-97 NHL 0.80 (6th)
1998-99 NHL 0.76 (5th)
2002-03 NHL 0.68 (9th)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Quite similar.

Voracek, Tanguay (he had greats shot percentage too), Stumpel, does Huberdeau play mostly wings ?, Makarov, Sundstrom, Vyborny, Mikael Grandlund

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
We're not even necessarily talking about goals here, but shots. The year Kariya had the 4th highest shot totals ever he only scored 39 goals sporting a 9.1 shot percentage. A lot of those shots must have been wolf-in-sheeps-clothing/pad-toe rebound intended (for Selänne to cash in Andreychuk style). :rolleyes:

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I kinda fit the bill. Using H-R adjusted scoring lists i'm surrounded by Geoff Courtnall and Rick Martin for career goals and Steve Larmer and Todd Bertuzzi for career assists.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Would it be fair to say Prospal? He had some years of good goal-scoring but I remember him as mainly a playmaker. Ended his career nicely with a team-high 30 pts for the Blue Jackets back in the shortened season of 12/13.

Current guy could be Rantanen but his career is still young so we will see about that. Great playmaker any way.

prospal is a good one. cory stillman is another.

i believe both were natural centers who were moved to the wing, similar to tanguay.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sergei Samsonov, especially pre wrist injury.

His ability to stickhandle in the tightest spaces, and seemingly never lose the puck along the boards made him a damn good playmaker. He'd routinely set up on the boards, work into an opening, and thread a pass right on target for an easy goal.
Sammy could do EVERYTHING EXCEPT shoot well. He would hit the middle of the goalie's jersey time and again, a clear foot plus away from any scoring space.

I went to Detroit Viper games when he as an 18 year old was the IHL rookie of the year AND defensive forward of the year. He was on my radar and I watched him on tv during his rookie NHL season as a Bruin. Coach Burns loved him and scolded Thornton for the same thing: checking.

Samsonov could skate, check, stickhandle and pass at a high level. He just had no shot.

Note: Though Pronger and Peca were more significant, Sammy deserves some credit for the Oilers Stanley Cup Finals run. It was the last time I recall seeing him. I've wondered what happened to him after that.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad