News Article: Nahl

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Kind of weird that they'd name a team right outside of Philadelphia the rebels... also kind of weird that theyd make the guy, supposedly a rebel, wearing a british uniform... #Brandfail.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
british wore red coats, blue coats were the colonists fyi
The rebels (Americans) wore blue during the revolution, so the logo makes sense.

#americaneducationfail

e3aee26d089fb7c944df1f8a0475d170.jpg

^ British solider of the american revolution. Common misconception that the british wore only red.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I'm sure the British wore varying uniforms, but the picture you posted looks exactly like what the Americans are always depicted as wearing.

It was something like
British: red
Americans: blue
French: light blue

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
then both sides wore blue. look at any picture of a colonist and hes wearing a blue uniform with a bit of red in it

revguiderev-1.jpg
I'm sure the British wore varying uniforms, but the picture you posted looks exactly like what the Americans are always depicted as wearing.

It was something like
British: red
Americans: blue
French: light blue

British artillery and engineer regiments wore dark blue and the hessian line infantry also wore blue. Most regiment decided their own uniform, and there was rarely consistency across the board.

for example, the hessians mostly looked like this

hessian-soldiers-1.jpg

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
British artillery and engineer regiments wore dark blue and the hessian line infantry also wore blue. Most regiment decided their own uniform, and there was rarely consistency across the board.

for example, the hessians mostly looked like this

hessian-soldiers-1.jpg

So what's your point? Should the logo be wearing a red coat?

Blue is obviously what's most often identified with the Americans. Not seeing the "brand fail" here.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
So what's your point? Should the logo be wearing a red coat?

Blue is obviously what's most often identified with the Americans. Not seeing the "brand fail" here.

well the brand fail was mostly in relation to the fact that a team outside of philadelphia is being called the rebels, a term largley associated with confederacy of the civil war, while the character is wearing a uniform indicative of the american revolution (regardless of side)

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
we were rebels in the revolutionary war ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

technically, but the term is most prominently associated with the confederate army in the civil war, so clearly not a very well thought out brand strategy.

that would be like the Bruins using a polar bear as their logo and then going "welp, bears are bears, am i right?"

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Well I just had a look into the uniforms, was pretty cool actually haha.

The stereotypical US one (and the one used in the logo) looks like its from the 1st Maryland.

csfront.jpg

The 1st Delaware and 2nd New York wore slightly similar.

You are right about the similar British ones, for infantry it looks like the Hessians and Chasseurs Britanniques wore blue

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Well I just had a look into the uniforms, was pretty cool actually haha.

The stereotypical US one (and the one used in the logo) looks like its from the 1st Maryland.

csfront.jpg

The 1st Delaware and 2nd New York wore slightly similar.

Yeah actually the hat in the logo is more indicative of the Colonial style, and the troops on the british side who wore blue wouldnt have been wearing that style of hat at all, so that's my mistake... but alot of the british regiments actually wore almost identical uniforms to the colonial soldiers, with minor differences. I thought that the red welt was indicative of the british, but i was mistaken. (however if you want to get REALLY nitpicky, you could argue that noone on either side wore a red welt... )

HOWEVER, it's still the lesser of the 3 points haha

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Most of the 'British' forces primarily wore red at that point.

However, artillery and Calvary predominantly did not. Also the loyalists and German regiments did not.

Artillery generally wore blue.
Calvary were a bit of a mishmash, some wore green, some white, some blue, some red...
German regiments wore dark blue. (I believe some wore grey as well.)
Loyalists generally wore blue or green.

The fact remains though that up until 1800 there was no 'regular' infantry in the British Army wearing any colour other than red.

Considering the number of actual British soldiers involved in the war I imagine only around ~40% of the British forces wore Red though... due to the sheer number of Loyalists and Germans fighting on that side.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Most of the 'British' forces primarily wore red at that point.

However, artillery and Calvary predominantly did not. Also the loyalists and German regiments did not.

Artillery generally wore blue.
Calvary were a bit of a mishmash, some wore green, some white, some blue, some red...
German regiments wore dark blue. (I believe some wore grey as well.)
Loyalists generally wore blue or green.

The fact remains though that up until 1800 there was no 'regular' infantry in the British Army wearing any colour other than red.

Considering the number of actual British soldiers involved in the war I imagine only around ~40% of the British forces wore Red though... due to the sheer number of Loyalists and Germans fighting on that side.

Precisely, the Hessians i know for a fact wore uniforms that were very similar in appearance to the commonly accepted colonist garb, with the exception of their gold helmets. I know a lot of the Engineer and Artillery regiments did as well. At least a handful of times, the only variation between the 2 sides were the style of hat.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
well the brand fail was mostly in relation to the fact that a team outside of philadelphia is being called the rebels, a term largley associated with confederacy of the civil war, while the character is wearing a uniform indicative of the american revolution (regardless of side)

It's associated more with the Civil War if you're ignoring the American Revolution entirely, and also failing to notice that the logo is wearing what is commonly considered a Colonial uniform.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
It's associated more with the Civil War if you're ignoring the American Revolution entirely, and also failing to notice that the logo is wearing what is commonly considered a Colonial uniform.

I most certainly noted that he's wearing a revolutionary uniform, but if you're going to tell me that the term rebel is not infinitely more relatable to the civil war than it is in any other war where one belligerent was "rebeling" then I dont know what to tell you, considering the confederate army were explicitly referred to as "the rebels"...

I'm not sure if you read my contention correctly. I was referring to the pretty lame dissonance between a team called the Rebels, while the logo representation is a soldier out of the revolutionary war... Combined with the fact that philadelphia was a staple Union hub in the civil war, it's just a poor choice of name/brand and I don't understand how someone could disagree with that.

But it is quite funny that two teams are located in adjacent counties, called the rebels and the union. :laugh:

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Where's the argument?

Non-loyalists to the crown were considered to be rebels, because they were rebelling against King George.

Debate squashed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4