NAHL , USHL Draft for 96,97,98

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Not being a US Citizen and not fully understanding how it works in the states.
I will ask here.

the OHL has their draft this year for 97's
the WHL has there draft this year for 98's
If you want to go the NCAA route can you still be drafted by these organizations?
Are there camps for each team or is there a camp like to be seen by the scouts from these teams.
Are they allowed to take a Cdn player?

I see alot of the ECHL and the WSHL I tried searching and reading , but many sites and
Reviews but many have negative comments ( I guess from parents or players) . Do I contact each team separately

What about dual citizenship? I would think that would be ok ?

I see a few USA Players going to the OHL or WHL ? Does it work both ways.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
You can be drafted by a QMJHL, OHL or WHL team, but if you play for them, that essentially voids your NCAA eligibility.

Many kids who want to go to college (with hockey), consider playing for an USHL team and commit to a NCAA team.

There are Canadians (and other nationalities other than US) on the USHL teams.

ECHL is a pro league, not an amateur one (pre-pro) one. I believe they cannot sign anyone younger than 20.

If you're looking for a team, having an agent (of for NCAA-bound players, a "family advisor") may be a great help in finding a place to play.

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
I'd start here. Check out the recruiting tab, especially the FAQ.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/

College Hockey Inc is the marketing arm of NCAA Hockey, in other words a valuable source of info.

Getting drafted by a major junior team isn't a problem. But just about anything after that I would strongly encourage you seek advice from an advisor. Attending a CHL camp is questionable I think. Letting someone else pay for your expenses is a problem. Signing an agreement, even if you never play is a big problem. The CHL is considered a "professional" league, and disqualifies you from NCAA hockey. Don't jeapordize your NCAA eligibility until you are sure the CHL is the best path for you.

Colleges have a weird recruiting process due to the NCAA. They scout youth hockey, but can't talk to kids until 16 I believe. You should definitely approach them to let them know your interest. Not sure the %, but they do recruit Canadians quite heavily. Not sure precisely how it works, but they can start offering kids a spot on the team a few years in advance to plan their roster. If you are good enough though, a school will make room. Kids usually play in a junior league until they are 18, 19, and sometimes 20 before they join the college team.

US junior leagues are divided into Tier 1, 2, and 3. Tier 1, the USHL, is easily where top talent goes because the league pays all fees, including boarding. Tier 2, the NAHL, is where the next best go. It's free to play, but a player pays for the billet. Tier 3 has many different leagues of varying quality, but they are all pay to play. USHL and a good number of NAHL kids make D1 hockey teams. Below that, you're likely to make a D3 NCAA team (smaller schools and no scholarships) or high end college club teams (ACHA - pay to play but still quite competitive). Tier 3 league the EJHL is an exception, they do send kids to D1. Colleges also recruit kids that play Canadian Junior A like the BCHL.

EDIT: Was just reading College Hockey Inc's website and thought this was relevant. Many Paths Lead to D-I Hockey

It's a long tough path. Do a lot of reading. Get an advisor if you are serious about it. And don't hesitate to reach out to schools and junior leagues. Good luck!

Last edited:

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I'd start here. Check out the recruiting tab, especially the FAQ.

http://collegehockeyinc.com/

College Hockey Inc is the marketing arm of NCAA Hockey, in other words a valuable source of info.

Getting drafted by a major junior team isn't a problem. But just about anything after that I would strongly encourage you seek advice from an advisor. Attending a CHL camp is questionable I think. Letting someone else pay for your expenses is a problem. Signing an agreement, even if you never play is a big problem. The CHL is considered a "professional" league, and disqualifies you from NCAA hockey. Don't jeapordize your NCAA eligibility until you are sure the CHL is the best path for you.

Colleges have a weird recruiting process due to the NCAA. They scout youth hockey, but can't talk to kids until 16 I believe. You should definitely approach them to let them know your interest. Not sure the %, but they do recruit Canadians quite heavily. Not sure precisely how it works, but they can start offering kids a spot on the team a few years in advance to plan their roster. If you are good enough though, a school will make room. Kids usually play in a junior league until they are 18, 19, and sometimes 20 before they join the college team.

US junior leagues are divided into Tier 1, 2, and 3. Tier 1, the USHL, is easily where top talent goes because the league pays all fees, including boarding. Tier 2, the NAHL, is where the next best go. It's free to play, but a player pays for the billet. Tier 3 has many different leagues of varying quality, but they are all pay to play. USHL and a good number of NAHL kids make D1 hockey teams. Below that, you're likely to make a D3 NCAA team (smaller schools and no scholarships) or high end college club teams (ACHA - pay to play but still quite competitive). Tier 3 league the EJHL is an exception, they do send kids to D1. Colleges also recruit kids that play Canadian Junior A like the BCHL.

EDIT: Was just reading College Hockey Inc's website and thought this was relevant. Many Paths Lead to D-I Hockey

It's a long tough path. Do a lot of reading. Get an advisor if you are serious about it. And don't hesitate to reach out to schools and junior leagues. Good luck!

Just wanted to add to this considering there is no Tier III EJHL next year. USPHL will be the place to play on the east coast if you want to go to a northeast school as of next year. All Division I colleges will be getting out to see most of the games in that league. It will be the undisputed #1 on the east coast. The idea is for it to rival the USHL in a few years. It will probably be on par with or better than the NAHL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad