NAHL 2022-2023 Thread

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Given the lackluster play of USA goalies at the WJC to this point I was looking through the NAHL '04's to see of there was any potential for the future.

Came across Lone Star's Arthur Smith and turns out he is a Princeton recruit.

Is there anything to see in his game that suggests he can get a look in the development camp this summer? Or are his numbers more the result of playing on a strong team?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Danbury has now lost 30 straight games. I'm wondering if the team is trying or they are really that awful.
The FPHL version of the Hat Tricks is leading the Empire Division at 26-6-5. So balance must be maintained.

But seriously ... The Jr. Hat Tricks started the season with a 12-game loss string, and a head coaching change right before the New Year does not seem to have helped. Maybe the Tricks' overall organization has neglected the NAHL ops, in favor of "growing the brand" with lower pro & youth hockey programs. :dunno:

PipeDream

Jun 3, 2021
Danbury has now lost 30 straight games. I'm wondering if the team is trying or they are really that awful.
It is a shocking streak, they are often relatively competitive. I did not do the math but they have many 1 goal losses and they put together some strings of competitive scores, but they they also have games or sets of games here an there where they get blasted by 6-8 goals.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
34 games now for the Jr. Hat Tricks.

I really don't know what the record was for losing in the NAHL (I'd assume Kenai River had it a few years back), but they must have passed it by now.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
34 games now for the Jr. Hat Tricks.

I really don't know what the record was for losing in the NAHL (I'd assume Kenai River had it a few years back), but they must have passed it by now.
Maybe they are just tanking to secure the highest pick in the NAHL Entry Draft for the second year in a row. Though you'd think they could give it a LITTLE gas in their last 7 weeks of the season to please their average 148 fans, and still remain below Corpus Christi & El Paso in total points.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Maybe they are just tanking to secure the highest pick in the NAHL Entry Draft for the second year in a row. Though you'd think they could give it a LITTLE gas in their last 7 weeks of the season to please their average 148 fans, and still remain below Corpus Christi & El Paso in total points.
I mean, fat good that pick did for them since that #1 pick is still playing in the QJHL.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Another overdue look at the NAHL standings, as they are seven weeks out from entering Division playoffs action …

1677728290530.png

1677728416498.png

1677728478480.png

1677728534006.png

Top of the Heaps …
  • The biggest surprise of the season has gotta be the Oklahoma Warriors, in their first year after franchise transfer from Wichita Falls, TX. The Warriors have the most points in the League (36+8+0+1=73), a plus-103 goal differential, and are 8-2-0-0 in their last 10 games. They have 2 of the top 10 scoring leaders on their roster: Union College commit forward Drew Sutton (20+31=51), and rookie Augustana University commit forward Joey DelGreco (17+34-51). Trying to keep pace in the South are last season’s Division champs Lone Star Brahmas, 7 points back in the Division standings.
  • The Maryland Black Bears & the New Jersey Titans are battling for the top spot on the East Division, with MD ahead by 5 standings points as March play begins. The Black Bears have no Top 10 skaters, and their #1 goalie has unremarkable stats, but their Wins # (31) is second only to Oklahoma across the League. The Titans offense is led by Princeton commit forward Michael Young (23+27=50).
  • In the Central Division, the Austin Bruins have a 14-point lead on the rest of the pack (29-11-3-4=65). Austin has the #7 & #8 ranked goaltenders in the League: Canisius College commit Ethan Robertson and rookie Trent Wiemken. They also have the 10th ranked scorer, forward & MSU-Mankato commit Gavin Morrissey.
  • The other surprise Division leader is another relocated franchise, the Midwest Division’s Wisconsin Windigo (28-15-1-2=59), fka the Minnesota Magicians. The Midwest’s top 5 teams are separated by just 8 standings points, so this is the Division to watch as the regular season winds down.
Bottom of the Barrels …
  • The El Paso Rhinos and the Corpus Christi IceRays are fighting for last place in the South, with no reasonable chance at a better prize for 2022-23.
  • Holding down the #8 spot in the Midwest Division are the Springfield Jr. Blues, just 3 points behind the #7 Chippewa Steel but not showing much inclination to move up the ranking. Most noteworthy of the Springfield stats is their 2022-23 average home attendance of ………… 52. But for some perspective, this embarrassing support number is just 12 butts per game lower than the published attendance for the League points leader Oklahoma. :dunno:
  • Saving the worst (by far) for last, the East Division’s Danbury Jr. Hat Tricks. As @JDogindy can attest, this team’s 2-39-5-2=11 points record to date – and more noteworthy, a losing streak of 27 regulation losses plus 5 in OT & 2 more in shootouts - might well be some kinda NAHL record. But the League doesn’t dwell on such things in their publicly available historical stats, so we are left to wonder how bad this bad really is. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
How can NAHL teams survive with such awful attendance figures? I know many play in rec centers but 52, 64, 138 averages would make a guy pull his hair out.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
How can NAHL teams survive with such awful attendance figures? I know many play in rec centers but 52, 64, 138 averages would make a guy pull his hair out.

How can they survive? For some, those attendance statistics are incorrect.

Springfield, Minnesota, and Oklahoma certainly aren't at 52 or 64 per game. They are not inputting attendance stats on their game sheet. The only ones that are inputted so far are the game sheets from their NAHL showcase games to start the year. Based on game video, they're both likely in the 500-750 range on average.

Same thing goes the other way. Danbury is maybe getting 138 fans for their NAHL team throughout the entire season and that is if you include the NA3HL team watching before their game. Northeast is the same way. Philadelphia had semi decent attendance that trailed off after local interest from the resident youth organization waned.

How can the teams with actually bad attendance survive? Their owners own the rink. Biggest cost is ice time. Ownership just pays it to itself and doesn't take the hit. It is a loss leader which allows them to stimulate revenues elsewhere, mostly by convincing younger and less talented players they can eventually play for that team. It is the NCDC model which the NAHL and USA Hockey poop on yet frequently use themselves. Some owners are dumb enough to think "build it and they will come" without having to put in the work that comes with attracting fans in this day and age in mostly entertainment saturated areas. WBS, Philadelphia the first time around, etc.

Reactions: JMCx4

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
And the losing streak... is over.

However, Danbury's website hasn't updated in months, which means either someone lost the password or just stopped caring.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The FPHL version of the Hat Tricks is leading the Empire Division at 26-6-5. So balance must be maintained.

But seriously ... The Jr. Hat Tricks started the season with a 12-game loss string, and a head coaching change right before the New Year does not seem to have helped. Maybe the Tricks' overall organization has neglected the NAHL ops, in favor of "growing the brand" with lower pro & youth hockey programs. :dunno:
For even more balance to the organization the NA3HL Danbury Hat Tricks have advance to round 2 of the Fraser Cup playoffs

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Janesville Jets to Start Female Goaltender

March 28, 2023

JANESVILLE, WI – The Janesville Jets, proud members of the North American Hockey League, have announced they will start Oakland Grizzlies 18U goaltender Annelies Bergmann against the Springfield Jr. Blues on Friday April 7th at the Janesville Ice Arena. Puck drop is 7:05pm.

Bergmann currently plays for the Oakland Grizzlies 18U boys’ team where she posted a 16-9 record and a goals against average of 2.08 this season. Her save percentage was 94.49%. Bergmann also represented Team USA at the IIHF Under-18 Women’s World Championships in 2023 (Bronze medal) and 2022 (Silver medal). She posted .934% and .932% save percentages in the Women’s World Championships. ...

The Janesville Jets will become the first USAH Tier I or II organization to play a female player in a regular season or playoff game. ...

Read more at: Janesville Jets to Start Female Goaltender

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
A followup to this post re. the Janesville Jets starting a female goaltender ...
Bergmann Posts Strong 22-Save Outing in Friday’s Loss

By Calvin Bush ... Apr. 8, 2023 | 3:00 pm

JANESVILLE, WI — Friday’s weather in Janesville was some of the best we’ve seen since the snow decided to cease *knock on wood*. It was the annual End of Season tailgate, the sun was shining, and the mood was upbeat. A perfect prerequisite and foreshadowing of what would go on inside the doors of the Janesville Ice Arena later that night. Annelies Bergmann made history by throwing on her Team USA leg pads, blocker, trapper, and all-white mask and skating on to become the first female to ever play in a USA Hockey Tier I or II hockey game. Despite the loss, “Bergy” took full advantage of the opportunity in front of her and showcased her exceptional talent and why this was more than deserved. ...

While a win would’ve been a great bonus to round out the night, Annelies Bergmann still showed up in a big way in the crease. She made 22 saves on 22 even-strength shots, and the only two goals allowed were shorthanded breaks for the opposition. Bergmann’s best save of the night came early in the first period on a mini-breakaway on the left wing, a snapshot from just below the circle that forced the Cornell commit to make a tough save with the glove. Bergmann made the stop and was greeted with a loud ovation from the 1,015 fans that packed the stands.

She [Annelies] gave us a chance to win; she kept us in it to the end,” said Jets Head Coach Joe Dibble. “Her confidence in her game fed to our guys to push to get that second goal, and you saw it in the shots department. She proved that she’s more than capable to play at this level.” ...

Read more at: Bergmann Posts Strong 22-Save Outing in Friday’s Loss | Janesville Jets-NAHL

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The final two NAHL playoff slots found a team each on Saturday night to occupy them ...
Saturday Scores: Wings and Wranglers claim final playoff spots
APRIL 16, 2023

Saturday Box Scores

St. Cloud 3 @ Aberdeen 7 - The Aberdeen Wings punched their ticket to the Robertson Cup playoffs with a statement 7-3 win over the St. Cloud Norsemen. Patrick O’Connell scored twice and added two helpers to lead the way for Aberdeen. Jordan Ronn also had a four-point game, scoring once and chipping in three assists. Nikolai Tishkevich had a multi-point effort with a goal and an assist. Dylan Wegner, Alexander Gullichsen and Luke Lindsay all got on the scoresheet as well for Aberdeen. Cole Moore denied 33 shots to earn the win in goal while Tomas Bolo and Ethan Dahlmeir combined to make 22 saves (for the Norsemen).

Amarillo 3 @ Odessa 2 - The Amarillo Wranglers are headed to the postseason after picking up their ninth consecutive victory, this time a 3-2 decision over Odessa. The Wranglers fell behind early as Dayne Hoyord netted a power play goal just 89 seconds into the action. The Jackalopes increased their lead early in the middle frame off a goal from Brendan Finn. Amarillo waited until the end of the second period to begin their comeback as Jack McDonald got on the board off a feed from Ben Ivey. Then in the final period, Ivey took matters into his own hands, scoring a goal of his own in the opening minutes. Later in the period, with Amarillo on the power play, Ivey struck again for his second goal of the game. That would be the difference maker and be the eventual playoff clinching goal. Luca Ganz was the winner in goal as he made 16 saves. Gergely Orosz was stuck with the loss, despite making 35 saves. ...

Read more at: Saturday Scores: Wings and Wranglers claim final playoff spots | NAHL.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad