NAHL 2017-2018 Thread

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Jamestown, NY loyally supported their GMHL Jets for a while. Then a NAHL team moved in to the arena from Detroit and some shady stuff happened behind the scenes which saw the Jets have their lease broken and the town's beloved team was kicked out without warning. The incoming NAHL team was left with egg on its face and a town that would refuse to support them. They weren't helped out by their gongshow cartoonish Ironman logo (great marketing strategy) and eccentric Japanese owner who would occasionally jump on the ice with them. They lasted two years, with no one surprised because in addition to the above, the area's GDP per capita and unemployment are abysmal. Averaged maybe ~600 per game in their beautiful facility.

Not sure how the locals will take to the NAHL returning. They gave half decent support to their NA3 team, but it'll take a lot more to just break even at tier 2. But hey, at the very worst, they should get better fan support than they did in PA. They said they averaged around 200-300 people per game, but even against their rivals, the number of people in the rink, players, coaches, linesmen, timekeepers, fans, everyone was still in double digits. Goes to prove ticket-driven junior hockey on the East Coast doesn't sell, they were 5 minutes from the heart of Philly at UPenn, marketing on the radio and online, and they still couldn't give tickets away. Hopefully Jamestown is far enough away from Buffalo and other markets people will go out and support their team.

Mr Sniper

Nov 29, 2016
Sweden
Does anyone have a clue of what type of support we can expect for the new team Maryland Black Bears?

I saw that most teams have st least 1000+, and a couple had 2000 or more, while the best had close to 3000, and the bottom teams had less then 500 peoples on their games,

wonder which kind of attendence number Maryland will have on their games?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Expect announced attendances of roughly 250,the same as the other teams in the East Division, minus Jamestown which is a wildcard. I've been at multiple games where the announced attendances have been 500+ and trust me, it would be generous to say that there were 50 people there.

People don't care about junior hockey on the East Coast. The rink is out in the suburbs, which didn't work with Aston and probably won't work here. And I give the Rebels credit too because they marketed the hell out of it on the radio and online. With the move to Upenn, they still couldn't give tickets away in Philadelphia 10 minutes from downtown and walking distance from Drexel and UPenn. If you like hockey in Philadelphia, you watch the Flyers and that's it. If you want cheap tickets for entertainment, which is what they were going for I think, then you go to the Phillies or the AAA baseball team in Camden, Nova basketball, pretty much anything other than junior hockey. Maryland will flop and flop quickly like the Rebels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad