Nagging Injuries and Team Performance

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Murray is not going to give him 5+ X 5 years and he should not. But some GM will and we'll lose him for nothing. We have 7 other D on the roster right now and 5 excellent prospects coming. We'll be fine in two years when we need to be.

Sell high and take the return

I'm not sure you can call it selling high when he's a UFA to be who has a nagging mystery injury that has kept him out of the line-up for 26 of 28 games. Maybe a trade before the year begain if he could pass a medical, but right now? Who's going to move for him before he starts getting some consistant action and proves he's not damaged goods?

Nagging injuries have really crippled this team :
Michalek from promising top 6 speedster to rusted bionic knees in the bottom 6.
Alfredsson back woes (prior to jumping ship)
Spezza chronic back issues leading to a suggery that crippled his game
Karlsson from Norris winner to major setback for Achiles slice.
Methot from Top 2/4 D to never being in the lineup
It seems like Ryan hasn't been healthy since Nov last year

Am I missing any?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm not sure you can call it selling high when he's a UFA to be who has a nagging mystery injury that has kept him out of the line-up for 26 of 28 games. Maybe a trade before the year begain if he could pass a medical, but right now? Who's going to move for him before he starts getting some consistant action and proves he's not damaged goods?

Nagging injuries have really crippled this team :
Michalek from promising top 6 speedster to rusted bionic knees in the bottom 6.
Alfredsson back woes (prior to jumping ship)
Spezza chronic back issues leading to a suggery that crippled his game
Karlsson from Norris winner to major setback for Achiles slice.
Methot from Top 2/4 D to never being in the lineup
It seems like Ryan hasn't been healthy since Nov last year

Am I missing any?

I think this is a great argument. The one that could potentially be added is Cowen, depending on how much of his bad play last season can be attributed to recovery from the hip thing. Wiercioch's throat injury in Bingo almost ended his career, but it is tough to figure out whether it had any impact on his progression with the big club because he seemed fine in the lockout/injury season.

I would also put an asterisk next to Alfie's name simply because once a guy gets into his late 30s and early 40s you kind of expect nagging injuries. He did not miss excessive time during the last couple of years that he played when you factor in age, and it certainly did not push him off a cliff in terms of performance. The man was/is a beast.

I think this discussion of injuries deserves its own thread rather than being a part of the trade thread.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I think this discussion of injuries deserves its own thread rather than being a part of the trade thread.

Moving by request because it's a good idea.

Not only is this hurting on the ice right row, it's gotten in the way in the past and will probably hurt us again in the future when looking to get anything of significance in a deal.

Last edited:

BigBush*

It sucks, out defense didn't look too bad on paper but who would of thought 1/3 into the season Methot would have played 2 games?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
All 30 Teams go through injuries (including Stars players like Crosby).

We need a new GM to take us to the next level. Thank you mister Murray for your excellent job of rebuilding the Farm team and moving this NHL team along in the rebuild.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
It sucks, out defense didn't look too bad on paper but who would of thought 1/3 into the season Methot would have played 2 games?

Yeah, the loss of Methot this year was a huge blow. I disagree about the D on paper though, because before the season started most posters here (me included) thought it was a huge area of concern. Having Methot back makes the team stronger, but even with him in the lineup we are still one top 4 D away from being a playoff team.

I honestly think Cowen putting his game together can be the answer to that, assuming Methot is able to come back and play on a regular basis this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad