Nabokov to join Sharks as coach and scout

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Here's hoping he's half as good a teacher as Strelow so the Sharks can have at least one or two goalie prospect that can make an impact.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
I know Nabokov is a great person and all, but I honestly don't know what to make of him as a coach.

As a coach and scout, what is he going to be looking for?
Making sure that you leave nice, huge gaping 5 holes? Not being able to deal with screens in front of you? Losing focus and track of the puck in big playoff games?

Again, great person. Just not a great post-lockout player.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I know Nabokov is a great person and all, but I honestly don't know what to make of him as a coach.

Making sure that you leave nice, huge gaping 5 holes? Not being able to deal with screens in front of you? Losing focus and track of the puck in big playoff games?

Well...what makes Babcock a good coach? He never really amounted to anything as a player.

It's something you can say about 90% of hockey scouts and coaches. What a person does as a member of the front office doesn't depend on how they were as a player.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

Thank god. I think we're better off with strewlos offspring than not.

bluefunnel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2005
Nice to have him back in the organization.

I look forward to seeing what he does.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
54cad7285106202708205252_image.gif

Hell yes

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Nabby will be working with the AHL goalies, and other prospects. Under Hedberg.

Won't be traveling with the team(s).

But will be doing some goalie scouting.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

That's the thing. It is hard to see a correlation, either way, between playing experience and coaching ability. A lot of these guys get these jobs because of name recognition/pleasing the fan-base, plus their ability to navigate the "politics" of the NHL (that is a real plus)...but you can't help but think teams would be better off taking a junior or minor-league coach with a great track record and teaching him all those little intricacies of the NHL.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Best goalie we've ever had by a MILE. Was a very good playoff goalie and I would take prime Nabby as my goalie any year.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Is he back stateside? I remember hearing he originally signed in the KHL because he wanted to live in Russia again but I could be completely wrong.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Is he back stateside? I remember hearing he originally signed in the KHL because he wanted to live in Russia again but I could be completely wrong.

His wife and kids are American, so I don't think he ever had plans to stay in the KHL long term. I think he was just annoyed about having to join the Islanders that one time after signing with Detroit.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
If he can just regurgitate all the things Strelow said to him he'll be better than 80% of the goalie coaches out there.

I'm ok with this.

thasanjoseshawksdood*

If he can just regurgitate all the things Strelow said to him he'll be better than 80% of the goalie coaches out there.

I'm ok with this.

Ya I think he wants to pass on what Strelow did for him. I agree, and I think hes on board with other ex sharks that want to see this team have success.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Nabby "lives" in SJ. Only played in KHL as he could get a contract there (easily). Walked away (and contract cancelled) due to family issues (too much separation).

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Nabby working with Rumpel. I thought Rumpel looked pretty good at the prospects game, he wasn't challenged much in the 1st and 3rd but looked really solid and his positioning was sound, in the 2nd he saw more shots and was like a wall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad