Myers

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It is only preseason, but the form Myers is showing has me thinking. What if he blossoms into the player we all envisioned his rookie season? What does that do to the idea of the rebuild? How good can this team be if he is great, now and in the future?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
It ends the rebuild and turns us into one of those young playoff teams that nobody wants to play even though we probably aren't winning the Cup, until we figure out how good the 15-16 crew actually are.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It sets us up to be a dominant defensive team in 3 years or so. We need to surround him, still. In the short term, it puts us in the playoff hunt.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
It potentially allows the team to include another young defenseman as a trading chip in a blockbuster trade to get better up front.

It would also put them into a playoff spot, almost certainly.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Myers is definitely the lynch pin to our future. If he turns it on and maintains this consistency into the regular season, then the Sabres will win more games right away and possibly help cut the rebuild down. There are, of course, other factors centering around our rookies. Give them time to develop and there is no doubt this crew can contend.

Until he shows that consistency, i am afraid I am still waiting for the other shoe to drop and for Myers to retreat back into his shell. I only pray he proves me wrong.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Look no further than how tough it is to play against a top defenseman in the playoffs (Chara)

When you have a guy that dominant, pushing 30 mins of ToI...half the game, the other team has to stay on one half of the ice away from him.

The value of a top tier defenseman of that kind is immeasurable. I can't stress it enough. It makes your goalie look all-world and your D corps as a whole look allstar caliber. Get the other guys on the blueline to block some shots and stay disciplined positionally, and you become a very tough team to play against, as opponents' top guys are neutralized.

Only the deep teams with 3.5 lines that can come at you will pose a threat.

But Myers is not even close to there yet.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Biggest difference I see is Myers is playing the body rather than stick check. One play pops in my mind he was 1 on 1 with someone in front of the net and he just physically handled him instead of trying to knock the puck away.

Myers is not back, he is starting to become what we wanted him to be. A #1 physically hard to play against D. His offensive play will follow with confidence in his D zone.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Look no further than how tough it is to play against a top defenseman in the playoffs (Chara)

When you have a guy that dominant, pushing 30 mins of ToI...half the game, the other team has to stay on one half of the ice away from him.

The value of a top tier defenseman of that kind is immeasurable. I can't stress it enough. It makes your goalie look all-world and your D corps as a whole look allstar caliber. Get the other guys on the blueline to block some shots and stay disciplined positionally, and you become a very tough team to play against, as opponents' top guys are neutralized.

Only the deep teams with 3.5 lines that can come at you will pose a threat.

But Myers is not even close to there yet.

Agree.

I am pessimistic so far. Myers stringing together a few preseason games does nothing for me. 20-30 games into the regular season, if he looks good, I'll start to breath a sigh of relief as to him STARTING to turn things around for good. Starting.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Agree.

I am pessimistic so far. Myers stringing together a few preseason games does nothing for me. 20-30 games into the regular season, if he looks good, I'll start to breath a sigh of relief as to him STARTING to turn things around for good. Starting.

I disagree.

Normally I would be pessimistic about a rebounding players as well but it is a different situation.

Its not like he's a forward that scored some goals and might have been lucky doing so. He is a defenseman that doesn't look lost, and looks fast and skilled with the puck and strong with out it.

When you say 'Myers stringing together a few preseason games", it sounds like he's made some nice plays and gotten a little lucky. I think he's playing well altogether and whether he makes nice plays or not will be a lot better this season.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I haven't caught a single preseason game so I can't comment on Myers' apparent resurgence thus far. I know he can be a dominant hockey player, and I'm hoping that's where he's headed.

I can say, however, that he seemed very, very composed - more so than ever - in his post-game interview with Duff after Wednesday night's victory.

He seemed mature and he carried himself like a leader. It was refreshing to see him take charge like that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pleased by what he's done in pre-season, eager to see how he handles things over the long-haul.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I disagree.

Normally I would be pessimistic about a rebounding players as well but it is a different situation.

Its not like he's a forward that scored some goals and might have been lucky doing so. He is a defenseman that doesn't look lost, and looks fast and skilled with the puck and strong with out it.

When you say 'Myers stringing together a few preseason games", it sounds like he's made some nice plays and gotten a little lucky. I think he's playing well altogether and whether he makes nice plays or not will be a lot better this season.

Sorry if you interpreted what I typed into something I didn't type. He has nicely strung together a few preseason games. Your opinion is fine. Mine is what I typed.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Agree.

I'm optimistic so far. It's early but Myers looks great.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I like this point. He looks like a different player. Often last year, it seemed like he was uncoordinated, but so far he's looked super strong on his skates. It's not a random play here and there, it's a presence he is exuding.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If Myers were to become the Norris contender we'd dreamed of, it'd give the Sabres the Chara/Keith/Doughty to fit the mold.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm optimistic so far. It's early but Myers looks great.

This is where I'm at. If he were going to be as bad as last season, there's no way he'd look anything like he has in the preseason. There aren't any guarantees he can maintain this level of play against regular NHL competition, but I'm sure as hell excited to watch for it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's definitely had more jump to his step and seems more willing to rush the puck. I think the forwards being more cognizant of their responsibilities has helped with his confidence.

Rolston just getting guys to come back like they should last season helped all the defense. We know he'll hold people accountable with ice-time, so it's likely they'll keep it up or sit. Myers was best when joining the rush and just going, rather than worrying about being back, etc... Ehrhoff seems like a real easy partner for many of these guys, so those two together ought to be easy too.

Perhaps last year going off the rails proves a growth opportunity for Myers and he begins to fulfill all that potential. It wouldn't be the first time someone has had to overcome something to get there.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Forget where Calder Trophy Myers went. Where did preseason Myers go?

Many people have said it. Myers is reaching too much and not taking the body. It was evident on 2 different puck carriers (Brewer, Killorn) on the GWG.

I was thinking, to train Myers to move his feet and not reach to poke check so much they should give him a 4 foot hockey stick to practice with.

Back when I was in college I watched a couple hockey practices. They used to have the penalty killers play with their butt end of the stick down (no blade). I didn't understand it and assumed it was so the PPlayers could practice their puck movement. Today, I'm thinking it is good practice for the defenders to use body position and take the body instead of relying on poke checks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I haven't had all that much issue with Myers since the start to the season, including last night. There were a few times he hurled people off the puck, including the one where he blasted Stamkos to the ice and drew a penalty. He hasn't been without mistakes, but then again, no defenseman is mistake free.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I haven't had all that much issue with Myers since the start to the season, including last night. There were a few times he hurled people off the puck, including the one where he blasted Stamkos to the ice and drew a penalty. He hasn't been without mistakes, but then again, no defenseman is mistake free.

except for Smehlik.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Agreed. He doesn't look as dominating as he did in the preseason, but he's more or less "good Myers". Let's take it from there. I'm more concerned with his choices in the offensive zone, especially on the PP. He has a fairly strong wrister and should be using that to get shots through rather than abuse the glass with a slapshot.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

neither have I...

He's been pillaged by those running the asylum for a couple plays that were not his fault.
- The late goal against vs Ottawa is completely on Ennis. Myers was executing the system, Ennis was not.
- The Tampa OT goal... not sure what everyone was blaming Myers for on that one. Tampa got a lucky bounce and Vanek was floating... both had more impact then Myers getting slightly turned around on a quick play.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed. He doesn't look as dominating as he did in the preseason, but he's more or less "good Myers". Let's take it from there. I'm more concerned with his choices in the offensive zone, especially on the PP. He has a fairly strong wrister and should be using that to get shots through rather than abuse the glass with a slapshot.

Yeah, he could be simplying things a bit on the PP -- he's not the only one who looks like they are pressing out there either.

He's had what, four different partners in four games? I've hated McBain with everyone -- except on the PP -- and the goals against the other night are at his feet. Last night's GWG... there was so much bad on that play with the entire four man unit that I can't put it on Myers singlularly nor even secondarily. Would I like to see him single-handedly turn that play the other way? **** yeah. But I'm not down on him for his entire body of work this season because of a small sample of plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad