Proposal: Myers to Canes

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Myers is coming off of knee and hit surgery and has yet to be cleared for full training. No one will trade for him now.

And on the flip side, the Jets only trade him for an equal LHD.

Carolina doesn't need him. Many other teams could use him before Carolina.

Thank you. #VoiceOfReason

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I suppose if Fleury came into camp and absolutely CRUSHED it, and I mean, so good that he displaced Slavin, then a Slavin-for-Myers trade would theoretically work from a Carolina perspective.

Hanifin-Faulk
Fleury-Myers
Hainsey-Pesce
Murphy/Tennyson

Hanifin would go before Slavin IMO and he would go for a top young forward. Canes have zero need for additional D.

Slavin will likely start the year on the top pairing next to Faulk. Slavin has also already shown potential #1, 25+ minute a night ability as a Rookie. Canes would be silly to trade that away now. Especially for a much more expensive guy who has 3 years to UFA and would play on the 2nd pair.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes already have Faulk, Pesce, Murphy, Tennyson and McKeown on the RHD side (and Slavin can play there as a lefty as well). As others have said, makes zero sense. If Canes are trading one of their young D, I suspect it would be for a forward or goalie as that is there biggest area of need.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Hanifin would go before Slavin IMO and he would go for a top young forward. Canes have zero need for additional D.

Slavin will likely start the year on the top pairing next to Faulk. Slavin has also already shown potential #1, 25+ minute a night ability as a Rookie. Canes would be silly to trade that away now. Especially for a much more expensive guy who has 3 years to UFA and would play on the 2nd pair.

FWIW I agree, but what's the harm in thinking about it? 97% of these things are super-hypothetical anyway, shutting down the OP with a "nope" doesn't really contribute anything. At least, for once, somebody is willing to give up a good player in one of these threads instead of the typical "We get Skinner, you get our leftovers from Arby's".

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Canes could use a more experienced RD, the whole kids movement has gotten a little carried away amongst the fan base. I'd love Myers but at this point it wouldn't make sense for the Canes to pay the required price. If you wanted a young d back, we don't know enough about what we have to feel comfortable moving one of our better looking ones. We don't have enough offensive depth to move a forward or create a package you'd want.

I'd love Myers on the canes. Don't think you'd get whatever you want back tho. It's crazy to think the canes don't need any D. We have no idea who is going to get better or where the guys we have slot long term.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Canes could use a more experienced RD, the whole kids movement has gotten a little carried away amongst the fan base.

Maybe a little bit carried away, but it's more than just fan sentiment. Fans or no fans, the Canes are pretty much certain to go into next season with Hainsey, Faulk and a bunch of kids based on the moves the GM/Coach made so it kind is what it is.

EDIT: you are right though, the Canes could probably use Myers on the RHD side, but (a) it would cost too much to get him and (b) to me, it doesn't make a lot of sense because I think there are bigger needs elsewhere on the team than defensemen.

Last edited:

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I keep hearing ze Jets are loaded with F prospects....how about one of our young F for your NHL ready F?

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Maybe a little bit carried away, but it's more than just fan sentiment. Fans or no fans, the Canes are pretty much certain to go into next season with Hainsey, Faulk and a bunch of kids based on the moves the GM/Coach made so it kind is what it is.

EDIT: you are right though, the Canes could probably use Myers on the RHD side, but (a) it would cost too much to get him and (b) to me, it doesn't make a lot of sense because I think there are bigger needs elsewhere on the team than defensemen.

What I meant about the fanbase is that whenever someone offers a d to us on these boards we scoff and dismiss it because we sort of arrogantly say we don't need anyone because of our kids. It's premature. Not to mention many of us have thought we could use another vet to help the transition.

I know the team is going as is, why else would we have bought out wiz? If the team wanted another quality vet they probably would've just given the guy a chance so it's obvious Francis is rolling with the kids. Is another reason for us not taking on someone like Myers not financial? A big reason for going with the kids is it buys some time before we have to start paying them well. So my comments are directed at the op as an explanation from my point of view that not all canes fans think we're good on defense for the next ten years just because we have good d prospects, and that Myers would in fact be a great immediate addition imo. I also said in my post essentially the same thing you did, that despite him probably being a good addition that our team doesn't have the offensive depth for a package and won't give up a good kid D yet other than maybe Murphy, so it's moot.

I'm curious about the right side to be honest. If they don't let Slavin play on his off side like he's said he prefers than until Mckeown makes it we're counting a lot on Murphy who's fallen down the charts a bit. Regardless, anyone who says that as of today Myers wouldn't solidify that right side due to a group of kids that's an unknown quantity I think is counting their chickens before they've hatched. We look like we're gonna be stacked but Pesce and Slavin were unexpected, we don't know if they're gonna improve/hold steady/regress this year and we need Hanafin and the other youngsters to be close to what their hype is/was.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not much experience after Hainsey and Faulk...Myers would help a lot and Fleury is the right age for a LHD on the Jets...5.5 caphit but only getting 4, 3.5, and 3 for the next/last 3 years.
If the Canes need wingers, we can add some of those in a bigger deal.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
What I meant about the fanbase is that whenever someone offers a d to us on these boards we scoff and dismiss it because we sort of arrogantly say we don't need anyone because of our kids. It's premature. Not to mention many of us have thought we could use another vet to help the transition.

Fair enough, I can understand that. Personally, I think it's a bit of being premature/counting chickens before they are hatched, and a bit of the Canes D being 3rd on the list behind Goaltending and forward talent in terms of what needs improvement. No doubt Myers would solidify the D.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Myers has never been publicly reported as available.

The offers on this board appear to represent the belief of some fans that the Jets are so thin on the left side that that they need to make a deal there ASAP - despite that on the right side Myers is currently rehabbing multiple surgeries and that Trouba is unsigned as of today. They won't be trading anyone from the right side given those circumstances. The last comments I can recall made by Chevy regarding Myers was to praise him for the way he mentored Morrissey and he cited his ability to fill that same role going forward for kids like Logan Stanley for example. That doesn't sound like they intend to move him.

Some of those same fans also overstate the Jets nearby need for prospect depth on the left side. Not only can Trouba fill-in on the left over the interim (when finally signed), but Niku will eventually be coming over from FEL, Poolman can play both sides, Morrissey is likely to graduate to the NHL roster this year, etc. They can also move minor assets for prospect depth whenever they want over the interim, and will refill at the draft.

Can't see the Jets moving any RD over the coming intermediate period (unless Trouba was to hold-out for some reason - which seems unrealistic).

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
There's a good deal of discounting Matt Tennyson by Canes' fans. Frankly, to hear a number of San Jose fans talk, he was quite serviceable and getting better. I'm one that believes he could easily give Ryan Murphy a real run for his money in camp.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That's why Wisniewski was bought out.

Personally, I think Wiz being bought out was almost exclusively expansion draft related. Canes need to expose 1 defenseman to the expansion draft who is under contract for the following season and played a certain number of games:

Wiz: Nope, not signed past this year
Hainsey: Nope, not signed past this year
Tennyson: Nope, not signed past this year
Slavin: Exempt
Pesce: Exempt
Hanifin: Exempt
Faulk: Yep

They aren't going to expose Faulk, so buying out Wiz, who was only being paid $3M this year means Ryan Murphy will get the nod and will likely be the one exposed. If they were to trade someone like Fleury for Myers, it would likely mean Murphy is out of a job and we're back to square 1. Yeah, there are other ways to solve that problem, but it mean making other moves or overpaying someone on an extension.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Myers has never been publicly reported as available.

The offers on this board appear to represent the belief of some fans that the Jets are so thin on the left side that that they need to make a deal there ASAP - despite that on the right side Myers is currently rehabbing multiple surgeries and that Trouba is unsigned as of today. They won't be trading anyone from the right side given those circumstances. The last comments I can recall made by Chevy regarding Myers was to praise him for the way he mentored Morrissey and he cited his ability to fill that same role going forward for kids like Logan Stanley for example. That doesn't sound like they intend to move him.

Some of those same fans also overstate the Jets nearby need for prospect depth on the left side. Not only can Trouba fill-in on the left over the interim (when finally signed), but Niku will eventually be coming over from FEL, Poolman can play both sides, Morrissey is likely to graduate to the NHL roster this year, etc. They can also move minor assets for prospect depth whenever they want over the interim, and will refill at the draft.

Can't see the Jets moving any RD over the coming intermediate period (unless Trouba was to hold-out for some reason - which seems unrealistic).

Yup and seeing that Chevy will more or less be going with the 8+1 method for the 2017 expansion draft Myers would be protected then so it really doesn't matter 4 forwards 4 D-man and a Goalie protected Winnipeg will be fine.

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Personally, I think Wiz being bought out was almost exclusively expansion draft related. Canes need to expose 1 defenseman to the expansion draft who is under contract for the following season and played a certain number of games:

Wiz: Nope, not signed past this year
Hainsey: Nope, not signed past this year
Tennyson: Nope, not signed past this year
Slavin: Exempt
Pesce: Exempt
Hanifin: Exempt
Faulk: Yep

They aren't going to expose Faulk, so buying out Wiz, who was only being paid $3M this year means Ryan Murphy will get the nod and will likely be the one exposed. If they were to trade someone like Fleury for Myers, it would likely mean Murphy is out of a job and we're back to square 1. Yeah, there are other ways to solve that problem, but it mean making other moves or overpaying someone on an extension.

They could have signed Tennyson for 2 years if that was the case or extend either or both of Hainsey and Wiz. I don't see a need for overpayement there.

Only management truly knows though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
They could have signed Tennyson for 2 years if that was the case or extend either or both of Hainsey and Wiz. I don't see a need for overpayement there.

Only management truly knows though.

Maybe, but player signings aren't a 1 way street. Maybe Tennyson refused to sign a 2 year deal for the exact reason of not wanting to be exposed. I've seen posters commenting about extending Hainsey and/or Wiz before, but IMO, it's not that easy. As vets who are likely very financially secure, they would have no incentive what-so-ever to sign an extension simply for the purpose of being exposed to the expansion draft. I know I wouldn't, unless a team offered me a large enough sum of money to make it worth my while (the overpayment I was referring to).

You're right though, only management knows for sure, but I think a lot of factors line up to support that it was a lot to do with the expansion draft. At least that's how I see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad