My Unique Flyers Collection

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Hey all, since we still have a little less than a week until the Flyers start back up I figured I would make this thread showing you all some of my Flyers apparel collection.

To be specific I collect vintage snapbacks (hats with an adjustable snap in the back) from the 1980's and 1990's. I've been collecting for about 3 years now and along the way I've added other apparel to my collection like parkas, satin jackets, pullovers, and tee-shirts.

This stuff is pretty hard to collect because all these companies do not exist anymore (except Starter who's trying to be relevant again). I have some pics I'd like to list with little exerts to describe them.

Flyers2_zps8e6710be.jpg

The first photo listed are my most valuable Flyers hats I own. Some of you may recognize these hats because they were probably the most popular ones worn in the 80s/90s. The 2 that sit on my starter box are a Logo Athletic sharktooth and paint splash/brush cap. The Logo athletic paint splash is my favorite of the bunch. The Sharktooth was a pretty popular hat in the 90's as far as I'm aware.

The other 4 hats listed are Sports specialties script hats. The last one to the right is the oldest of them all and was the draft cap for the NHL (sometime in the 80s I believe). A lot of other collectors love these hats for the simplicity and overall cool design of the hat.

Flyers1_zps11fbac75.jpg

And here are some more of my hats. I'd like to mention that I'm a 90s kid and everything I have now I acquired through thrift stores, Flea Markets, and Ebay. Most of these hats here are made by Starter but some of them are made by Logo Athletic, Sports Specialties, and G-cap. (Brands you may or may not recognize)

There are still a lot of specific Flyers hats I'm still looking for which makes collecting fun, it becomes a hunt.

Note: Anyone who lives in Philly may recognize some of these in the Mitchell and Ness Store, well they are retro-ing a lot of these original designs, which I think is bogus, haha. All my hats are the originals which I take pride in.

Here is the famous starter parka which I'm sure plenty of you recognize:

Flyers5_zps71fdcdcf.jpg

One of the coolest jackets I own (Made by Chalkline):

Flyers3_zpsd80bffdc.jpg

Flyers4_zps8efc865f.jpg

That design is freakin' wicked, eh?

Lastly, here are some misc. hats I wanted to show. I have so many cool/rare caps but I didn't wanna show too many!!!

flyers7_zpsdbc5e63f.jpg

Listed is a sixers sharktooth, extremely rare Deadstock Hershey Bears Paint splash, a starter eagles script, and lastly an Eagles Sports specialties heather script. The funny thing about the last eagles hat is that it was marketed as a hat to work out in; IE it would absorb your sweat and such (like sweatpants material). :laugh:

Hopefully this stuff brings back some nostalgia for you guys; whether that be a hat you or your dad wore or a jacket your grandpa used to wear, I'd love to hear about it. Let me know if you all have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Had the Starter jacket as a kid. I think I wore it everyday until I outgrew it. The pouch in the front was awesome. Could put so much **** in there.

TheTaekster

Feb 3, 2008
94.1 and 97.5
I've got that Starter jacket but I don't wear it often anymore. Those designs were way more functional for kids. I no longer have a need to stuff everything I own in a pocket, haha

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I've got that Starter jacket but I don't wear it often anymore. Those designs were way more functional for kids. I no longer have a need to stuff everything I own in a pocket, haha

Haha, yeah I agree. I don't really wear it that much, but I picked it up at a thrift store, it's also kinda bulky. You'd be surprised how many old timers I've seen wearing them at Eagles and Flyers games.

That's also a reason I collect these, brings me back to my childhood.

my friend has a rick tocchet starter jacket from the 80's. I've offered him 300 dollars for it but still no.

Wow, I paid a little over 100 for my satin jacket. That's a helluva offer. You got any pics Jtown?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Haha, yeah I agree. I don't really wear it that much, but I picked it up at a thrift store, it's also kinda bulky. You'd be surprised how many old timers I've seen wearing them at Eagles and Flyers games.

That's also a reason I collect these, brings me back to my childhood.

Wow, I paid a little over 100 for my satin jacket. That's a helluva offer. You got any pics Jtown?

It use to be on philavania under the vault section but i cant find it. Its like a customized starter jacket with the "c" and number 22 on the side. It is pretty sick and ive never seen anything like it before.

TheTaekster

Feb 3, 2008
94.1 and 97.5
On a related note, I've made it a bit of a mini-hobby in recent years to collect jerseys from older manufacturers no longer making "official" NHL product (CCM, Nike, Starter, Koho, etc)

I'll post a few pictures later on if anyone's interested, but my two most prized jerseys are two mid 90s era Lindros jerseys from Nike and Starter. I'm looking for a 2001-04 era midnight black CCM now, preferably a Primeau, Gagne, or Roenick nameplate. Those jerseys sure were sharp.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I feel like I owned all of those hats at one point but never at the same time, except for the Hershey Bears one.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I feel like I owned all of those hats at one point but never at the same time, except for the Hershey Bears one.

That will probably be the only Hershey Bears Paint brush hat you ever see, I'd love to find a Phantoms one. There are some cool hats I've passed on (kinda regret it now) like the solar bears and other IHL teams.

If you had most-all those hats at one point in your life, that's impressive man. They are worth a little bit of money if you still have them. Hopefully I enlightened you a little on the background of some. I have a ton more eagles, sixers, and Phillies. Along with misc teams, like The mighty ducks (rarest hats to have) and others.

Also the Flyers hat of this design is my holy grail:

41BqWybmmKL._SS400_.jpg

Logo athletic Double Sharktooth, I'll get my hands on it one day when it pops up.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Man if you wore the paint brush cap with the chalk line jacket you'd look like you were walking out of a Jr. High school 20 years ago. Funny how it'd be back in style.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Man if you wore the paint brush cap with the chalk line jacket you'd look like you were walking out of a Jr. High school 20 years ago. Funny how it'd be back in style.

Yeah, you'd be surprised how many people want the original jackets and snapbacks.

The paint brush is probably one of my favorite hats haha. :)

There's a whole community of collectors I'm a part of on facebook. Pretty cool.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Was able to purchase this extremely rare starter hat last week and wanted to share it.

starterimg_zps3221d796.jpg

It's called a starter "image" hat, where starter used an alternative logo that had no real affiliation with any logo found on the team's jerseys and such. This is the Flyers one I was lucky enough to find, and I thought it was wicked cool. Like a jet of some sort. :)

mailman89

Jan 30, 2013
nice stuff

Was able to purchase this extremely rare starter hat last week and wanted to share it.

starterimg_zps3221d796.jpg

It's called a starter "image" hat, where starter used an alternative logo that had no real affiliation with any logo found on the team's jerseys and such. This is the Flyers one I was lucky enough to find, and I thought it was wicked cool. Like a jet of some sort. :)
I'am moving have Schultz,Tocchet,Brown and Brashear sign pucks. Boucher autograph mini goalie mask,some hockey cards,Big Tocchet pic,90-91Flyers yearbook some autographs,A plaque say Let's go Flyers and cross sticks. Phathoms jersey large. Let me know

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad