OT: My pens/steelers electronic scoring cornhole boards

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Hey guys, i've been on this board for a long time, dont start too many threads though. Started a new biz, won't give the link here mainly because I don't want it deleted for spam.

I figured there'd be many people on this board that would think these are pretty cool so I'd share. Went college in the midwest, cornhole was extremely popular there 10 years ago. It's finally seemed to make its way into the pittsburgh area. So i'm sure you'll be seeing this boards out and about at tailgates over the summer.

steelers.jpg

steelers2.jpg

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
That's sweet man, might have to shoot you a PM once I get a bit more cash. I think a Pens 3rd jersey themed board would be dope too.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Hey guys, i've been on this board for a long time, dont start too many threads though. Started a new biz, won't give the link here mainly because I don't want it deleted for spam.

I figured there'd be many people on this board that would think these are pretty cool so I'd share. Went college in the midwest, cornhole was extremely popular there 10 years ago. It's finally seemed to make its way into the pittsburgh area. So i'm sure you'll be seeing this boards out and about at tailgates over the summer.

steelers.jpg

steelers2.jpg

These are great... if I didn't live in the middle of Manhattan and actually had somewhere to put them I'd be all over it.

Well done

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
Corn...hole...?

That did not make it out to Montana :laugh:

bean bag toss. was a popular thing to keep kids busy when i was little and about 5 years ago seemed to pick up steam as an adult thing (with the name corn hole) at fairs and tailgating events

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
bean bag toss. was a popular thing to keep kids busy when i was little and about 5 years ago seemed to pick up steam as an adult thing (with the name corn hole) at fairs and tailgating events

Yep pretty much a drinking/tailgate game. Popularity has really been growing.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Awesome design!

Now if you could come out with a special edition with **** looking bean bags that could fit so very nicely in Rossi's filthy mouth, that would be gold, media gold!

;)

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
So you paid the Penguins & Steelers a license to make these?

No they are licensed stickers. You are allowed to put licensed stickers on anything you want. You're not allowed to advertise the product as licensed though. I don't advertise them other than my plain/striped/pyramid designs. If a customer send me stickers i'll put them on for them provided they were legally obtained.

This is my personal set.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Awesome design!

Now if you could come out with a special edition with **** looking bean bags that could fit so very nicely in Rossi's filthy mouth, that would be gold, media gold!

;)

Maybe I could fill the bags with ice cream, vs corn?

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
Have they been rain tested for long periods of time? If a bag hits the edge, like it seems to do a lot, does it ever count it as a score. Some people play that when a bag bounces off the ground and then on it doesn't count so how does the score board interrupt that. When shooting, I drop my bags that I am not using on the box, will the scoreboard interpret that as a point by mistake too? I have a lot of questions about functionality, but I do not question the need. I don't think making them Penguins and Steelers is necessary, the scoreboard is the part that is necessary because when people drink, there is always arguments about what the score is. Some play that you have to get exactly 21 without going over too which I assume would make the score programming more challenging.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Have they been rain tested for long periods of time? If a bag hits the edge, like it seems to do a lot, does it ever count it as a score. Some people play that when a bag bounces off the ground and then on it doesn't count so how does the score board interrupt that. When shooting, I drop my bags that I am not using on the box, will the scoreboard interpret that as a point by mistake too? I have a lot of questions about functionality, but I do not question the need. I don't think making them Penguins and Steelers is necessary, the scoreboard is the part that is necessary because when people drink, there is always arguments about what the score is. Some play that you have to get exactly 21 without going over too which I assume would make the score programming more challenging.

They are not automatic. While I can do it, putting RFID sensors inside the bags.... i have not for the simple reasons that you mention. Way to many variables. Trust me I've put a lot of though into it. Up/down controls will still be necessary even with automatic scoring. The up/down buttons would override anything that is automatic.

Its easy to tally up the score and hit the up button at the end of a round. You have to bend down to pick up the bags anyways. Remembering the score for that round is never the issue, its between the rounds. This elminates that problem.

Next winter I'll probably design build an automatic set for myself; i have everything already worked out as far as how I could get around most variables. I won't be able to sell them though, FCC regulations, i'd have to jump through a lot of hoops using a wireless emitter. I could use off the shelf stuff that's approved, but for the cost of electronics i'm not sure the market is there.

I've had the boards in locations where no one knew who I was or that I built them, everyone still used the up/down buttons mainly because it's so easy.

Buttons and back of the boards.
back.jpg

plexi.jpg

They can take a lot of rain but no guarantees. A good sprinkle no problem. I beat the crap out of them for about a week with an automated tester. Sorry I'm a big EE nerd, so I like talking about this kind of stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkU3uAInhIc

Last edited:

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
They are not automatic. While I can do it, putting RFID sensors inside the bags.... i have not for the simple reasons that you mention. Way to many variables. Trust me I've put a lot of though into it. Up/down controls will still be necessary even with automatic scoring. The up/down buttons would override anything that is automatic.

Its easy to tally up the score and hit the up button at the end of a round. You have to bend down to pick up the bags anyways. Remembering the score for that round is never the issue, its between the rounds. This elminates that problem.

Next winter I'll probably design build an automatic set for myself; i have everything already worked out as far as how I could get around most variables. I won't be able to sell them though, FCC regulations, i'd have to jump through a lot of hoops using a wireless emitter. I could use off the shelf stuff that's approved, but for the cost of electronics i'm not sure the market is there.

I've had the boards in locations where no one knew who I was or that I built them, everyone still used the up/down buttons mainly because it's so easy.

back.jpg

plexi.jpg

They can take a lot of rain but no guarantees. A good sprinkle no problem. I beat the crap out of them for about a week with an automated tester. Sorry I'm a big EE nerd, so I like talking about this kind of stuff.

Seems like a good project for Kickstarter IMO. For the funding and more importantly the exposure. Awesome job!

ObsessedCreative*

back.jpg

plexi.jpg

Why not develop an app to control the boards remotely.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Why not develop an app to control the boards remotely.

I don't really see the benefit. You have to pay for blue tooth chips which drive the cost up; anything that emits a signal you need to deal with the FCC. Then you have to reach in your pocket to grab your phone to change the score.

You're bending down to pickup the bags anyways, the buttons are right at your finger tips. If I add any wireless capability it would be for complete autonomous scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad