Steve Spade. Defense
Tyler Swystun. Forward
Alex Beiga. Defense
Matthew Correntte. Defense
Stephan Cesar. Goalie

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Guys, I'm just wondering.....with the new minimum age of 19 for the entry draft, how are guys like Kessel and Frolik going to be eligible for the 2006 draft? From my understanding, they'll only be 18 at the time (Since a guy like Crosby is only 18 now...)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
sevenSteen said:
Nice list. However, I think Frolik will be the #1 pick of the draft, when the time comes.

Why? IMO Kessel will have to fall on his face for that to happen, and that ain't happening.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Brule said:
Guys, I'm just wondering.....with the new minimum age of 19 for the entry draft, how are guys like Kessel and Frolik going to be eligible for the 2006 draft? From my understanding, they'll only be 18 at the time (Since a guy like Crosby is only 18 now...)

well first off kessel turns 18 in october, he's only 2 months younger than crosby but misses the cutoff...

that said the draft age won't be changed for next year because they don't want to skip this year so that means to change the age without skipping a year you have to gradually move the dates (you can't draft the guys at 18 in 2005 and then 2006 say 19 year olds are eligible cause they were all drafted in 2005)...

and they also won't start the gradual moving of the cutoff cause crosby is a late bday so if you move the date this year he'd fall to the 2006 draft.

the rumor i heard is that the cutoff will move from the current september 15th so that anyone who turns 18 by dec 31st of the previous year will be eligible (so everyone born in the same calender year gets drafted together) and then the youngest a player can be when the season starts is 18 years, 10 months (almost 19).

however if you leave the cut off at 9/15/87 this year to go right to the new cutoff next year that would mean that only players born between 9/16/87 and 12/31/87 would be eligible for the 06 draft. therefore what they will have to do is move it up a few months each year. most likely move it up 3 months or something like that so next year the cutoff becomes 6/15/88, then 2007 it becomes 3/15/89 and finally in 2008 you have it at 12/31/89 and are at the next draft age

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Why? IMO Kessel will have to fall on his face for that to happen, and that ain't happening.
It's only the last couple of months that Kessel has been ranked #1 in this draft. It was consistently Frolik #1 overall until Kessel's performance at the WJC. Don't you remember tha "next Jagr" talk all through 2004 and the beginning of this year?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
things often change drastically in the year before the draft but as of right now kessel and frolik look like the closest 1/1a we've seen in a long time. ovechkin and malkin were considered close cause those 2 were separated from the field but ovechkin was felt to be the clear #1 even after malkin closed the game. the early looks at 06 have kessel and frolik as almost a coin flip and it might simply come down to does the team with the top pick want a center or a lw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad