My made up CHL draft rule

KingJet*

Have like a Midget draft across Canada (Pockets of the US too), still have the OHL, WHL and Q. Have about 15 rounds 60 picks per round, I think that'd be pretty cool, and have the import draft differently. But I think that'd be cool, I think lots of people would say its stupid.

Forgot to mention, I understand its across canada, but we have people going from Winnipeg to Portland, Thunder Bay to Kingston, Montreal to PEI. But I mean It'd be nice to see, I mean they send people from Europe in random parts of canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I just don't see any real advantages. These kids are only 16 and it seems nuts to send them all the way across the country. The Q would stop being the weakest league by far as theoretically all leagues should be pretty similar. But I believe you would actually see less talent from Quebec being developed because there's less emphasis to do so.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
agree with b's fan. Part of the advantage of the regional drafts is that kids get to stay at least somewhat close to home. A 16 year-old has no business moving from vancouver to st. johns or vice versa.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
1. Horrible idea

2. The Q is not the "weakest league by far". Christ they have 4 out of the CHL top 10 teams right now, including the #1 ranked team.

torontosports10

Mar 6, 2009
Every league has strong and weak teams??

Ill admit more NHL players come from the WHL and OHL, but the leagues aren't "far superior" to the Q. Better than? On most years yes, but not by as much as he makes it out to be.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
agree with b's fan. Part of the advantage of the regional drafts is that kids get to stay at least somewhat close to home. A 16 year-old has no business moving from vancouver to st. johns or vice versa.

But it happens in the cjhl now there are a fair amount of players that come from out side of eastern ontario.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
But it happens in the cjhl now there are a fair amount of players that come from out side of eastern ontario.

In the junior A CJHL players are not allowed to leave their home province until the age of 18. So, for example, Alberta-trained players (ie came through the minor system in Alberta) can only travel to BCHL, SJHL, MJHL, etc as "imports" once they have completed their minor hockey which ends at age 17. This works the same for every Junior A league. So no, 16 year olds do not travel all across the country.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
In the junior A CJHL players are not allowed to leave their home province until the age of 18. So, for example, Alberta-trained players (ie came through the minor system in Alberta) can only travel to BCHL, SJHL, MJHL, etc as "imports" once they have completed their minor hockey which ends at age 17. This works the same for every Junior A league. So no, 16 year olds do not travel all across the country.

As a 16 year old no but some do move away from home to play jr a.

Last edited:

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I love how you trash the idea, without even providing a reason why....

It didn't need a lot of reasons why, considering there are little to no advantage for this 'rule'. Besides it being 'cool', it doesn't add anything to the CHL drafts as they are now. As it's been said before 15-16 year olds don't need to be traveling across Canada when they don't need to be.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I love how you trash the idea, without even providing a reason why....

Here are, in my opions, two big reasons why...

1. Think of the budgets that CHL teams will have to have to improve their scouting. Right now they have guys travel all over provinces. Its not perfect but it works. Now, we will ask them to travel all over Canada. Think of the budget issues.

2. People are already upset about draft issues with NCAA players. They are worried that kids can negotiate where they go. Imagine how that would increase under this plan. You would have most top end kids still dictating where they go, and even more so now. Ontario based top end players would dictate that they stay in Ontario, and so on.

Also, if its not broken, why try to fix it?

Ktyice72

Aug 25, 2010
Here are, in my opions, two big reasons why...

1. Think of the budgets that CHL teams will have to have to improve their scouting. Right now they have guys travel all over provinces. Its not perfect but it works. Now, we will ask them to travel all over Canada. Think of the budget issues.

2. People are already upset about draft issues with NCAA players. They are worried that kids can negotiate where they go. Imagine how that would increase under this plan. You would have most top end kids still dictating where they go, and even more so now. Ontario based top end players would dictate that they stay in Ontario, and so on.

Also, if its not broken, why try to fix it?

exactly ! not to mention how much more complicated life would be for the players and there families !

and it was previously said that it being ''cool'' doesnt improve anything ....

also the q is almost always weaker and they dont have to play o and w teams so standings dont mean anything ! lets just put it this way ,every year its ohl and whl teams dominating the memorial cup ...rarely q teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->