My little one skating...

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
My little one is 4, almost 5, and finally got out on the ice with an instructor this weekend. He did pretty well. The instructor just led him around to get him used to standing on the ice. They practiced reaching up and bending to touch their toes. He still tries to move about with walking like steps. At home they told us to let him wear the skates with the guards on around the house. He can run around and jump and so on like they weren't even skates. My wife and I are letting him progress at his pace. He didn't want to even go on the ice last week, so we didnt push him. He finally went out this week and had a ball.

I do have some questions I hope you guys can answer. How long does it usually take to get a little one to be be able to skate around without an instructors help? I am basically just wondering what to expect and what to look for as he progresses. Any tips that can help from past experience?

I attached a picture... he refuses to get on the ice without the helmet. :D But that can only be a good thing.

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
My friend's 5 year old just started skating and she would take him to public skating and hold his hand and skate with him, just to get him used to the feel of it.

After awhile, though, he got too attached to "mommy" and would beg to be held or coddled if he fell down (he also wears a helmet all the time), and wouldn't try new things. That's where I come in...he doesn't do that with me (I'm not his mom!), but loves to skate. I found that if I skated backwards and had him try to "get me" he really improved. He, in essence, forgot he couldn't skate and all he wanted to do was get to me. Lo and behold, he could skate without assistance!

He has now started a skating class and is doing quite well. I think as long as the motivation is there on your son's part, he'll do fine. Don't try to push him to do something he doesn't want at that age. Baby steps!

good luck!

nic29+

May 5, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
My son wanted to play hockey so bad when he was 6 that the coach told me just to put him in to practice (he only skated once before) he actually really surprised me and never really needed help. It all depends on the kid I guess.

This is the best age though. Have fun and enjoy the nex couple of years.

pensrule

Jul 13, 2005
Hampton, PA
My son, who is now 5, started skating 3 months after his 3rd birthday. It took about 12 times of public skating with me holding his hand before he went on his own. Actually the only reason he finally let go was that a 6 year old (that we didn't even know) was there several times when we went and he badgered my son to let go and he finally did.

After that he started taking skating lessons for about 5 months once a week and went into a hockey developmental camp about a year after his first time on the ice. From there, at 4 he played mite hockey with 6, 7 and 8 year olds this past season. He is actually progressing quite well. I must warn you, as if you don't already know, it can become costly and time consuming (not that I have a problem with that, we love it.)

If he gets into playing hockey, he may want you on the ice with him initially. For my son, the apprehension (fear of the unknown) was the hardest thing for him to get over, but he seems to have turned the corner there as well.

Sorry for the long post, anyways have fun and good luck!

Steve Gatzos*

GOOD TO SEE THE LITTLE ONE OUT AND ABOUT ON TEH MOTHER SURFACE. IT WILL TAKE ABOUT SIX WEEKS AND HE WILL BE READY FOR A STICK

-Gatzos

Jysk

Jul 3, 2004
Skellefteå Sweden
TBLightningFan said:
My little one is 4, almost 5, and finally got out on the ice with an instructor this weekend. He did pretty well. The instructor just led him around to get him used to standing on the ice. They practiced reaching up and bending to touch their toes. He still tries to move about with walking like steps. At home they told us to let him wear the skates with the guards on around the house. He can run around and jump and so on like they weren't even skates. My wife and I are letting him progress at his pace. He didn't want to even go on the ice last week, so we didnt push him. He finally went out this week and had a ball.

I do have some questions I hope you guys can answer. How long does it usually take to get a little one to be be able to skate around without an instructors help? I am basically just wondering what to expect and what to look for as he progresses. Any tips that can help from past experience?

I attached a picture... he refuses to get on the ice without the helmet. :D But that can only be a good thing.

Nice to hear that he likes to play hockey

My son Eric skated by himself the second time we skated, he was 2 years and 3 months old then.

Here a film of him skating
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=226452

TBLightningFan

Apr 20, 2004
Tampa
No problem there...all the kid talks about is hockey 24-7. Day, Night, Sleep or Awake...I mean its non-stop. :) So he is motivated to play hockey thats for sure. Which I have no problem with at all :D

Oh yeah, I have gotten conflicting information on skates to start with. He has hockey skates that we got him. But at the same time I have heard that its better to learn with figure skates. Which is better? Is it just fine to leave him with his hockey skates since he needs to get used to them anyway?

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Dude, all he talks about is hockey? That's so cool, you're raising this kid right.

ANYWAY, I'd keep him with hockey skates, if they're too loose around the ankles, put the boot on, and wrap the laces around the ankle area a few times. If that's still not tight enough, you can add some tape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad