OT: My Gay Hockey Story

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hey All,

This is going to be long, so feel free to skip. However, that joke that was posted and shared here about Paul Maurice essentially calling Austen Matthews gay, and that diminishing him as a hockey player kind of triggered me. I am not a 'snowflake', I do understand that there is humor, and humor may offend - but to me, that wasn't a funny joke, and it's kind of damaging - supporting the notion that there is no place in sport for gay people.

I knew I was gay from a fairly young age - probably about 11 - as much as someone that age can really understand it. My Mom asked me when I was younger if I wanted to play hockey - she was finally in a place financially where she could afford it. Keep in mind, this was 40 years ago, and being gay was not cool - and hockey was absolutely not a place for gay people. I told her I didn't want to play, even though I loved hockey. I just didn't think I belonged there.

I did play a lot of ball hockey with my friends, and I was a pretty damned good goalie. I also played defense as you do when you are a kid - playing wherever there's a spot. Then, when I was about 15 my best friend (Habs fan gross) asked me if I wanted to come skating. I figured why not, and laced them up. I immediately fell in love with skating, and got a pair of new Bauers. I'd go out to the twin rinks in my neigborhood and skate around, while the other kids were on the second rink playing shinny. My same friend kept bugging me to play shinny, and finally I did. I was absolutely hooked. I was out every chance I got - after school, until the lights went out (and sometimes after), all day every weekend. It was my place to just be joyful, not worry about my sexuality or feeling different or less than other kids.

My high school team was heading into the season short a goalie. I had never played organized hockey, and only played goal in ball hockey, but I told my Vice Principal that I wanted to play. He was extremely worried about it and tried hard to convince me not to, knowing how dangerous it might be (and probably how bad I would be :P ). However, I was a stubborn kid, and finally he said he'd let me try.

I signed out the goalie gear and I started practicing skating with it. I watched the goalies religiously on HNIC and CKND Jets games. Any time I got to a hockey game live I watched how the goalies warmed up and moved around in the net. Finally, I got my chance to play, and I was pretty bad haha. Good thing was, our team was awful too so no one was looking at me. This was my first experience with locker room talk - and it was pretty awful. It was like the gay talk you heard in the classroom, hallways, waiting for the bus, but like on steriods. I have to admit, I almost quit. It just reinforced the feelings in myself that I was weird, damaged, and less of a valid person than the other kids, and I didn't belong.

However, I loved hockey so much that I couldn't not play.

I moved to Vancouver when I was 17, and that's when I really started to understand myself. I got a job in a gay nightclub, and started realizing that there were so many other people like me, and they were funny, successful, and happy. UBC had a complex with 4 rinks, and 2 of them had drop in every weekday from 9 am to 4 pm. Because I was a bartender, I only worked 3 or 4 nights a week - so I was there practically every day. I played D sometimes, and goalie most of the time. This is where I started getting really good at hockey. I played against college kids, and pros depending on the time of year.

Then, I found out about a gay hockey team in Vancouver, the Cutting Edges. They only scrimmaged amongst themselves weekly. I joined the team, we did fundraisers, and pretty soon, we had almost 70 players of all different skill levels. We decided to enter the hockey league with three teams across different divisions. I played goal in the top league and defense in the two others. We did not hide the fact that we were a gay team, and that opened us up to some pretty horrific stuff. Like guys telling us not to bleed on them because they didn't want AIDS, talking about how every time we got in the dressing room it was a gangbang, etc. They also tried to physically intimidate us any chance they got.

Unfortunately for them, we were a pretty great hockey team. We had several ex junior and pro players, and we ended up winning the championship in our first year. It was incredible to see the transformation of our opponents from vile insults, to being angry and incrediolous that we beat them, to a sense of respect and even congratulations. I actually ended up getting recruited to play for one of our most heated rivals - and those guys were so incredibly welcoming.

My 'career peak' was being recruited to play for Team Vancouver in the Gay Games in New York. I was supposed to play defense (as I had really started to blossom there) but our goaltender backed out at the last minute, so I ended up playing goal. Some of our other players backed out too, and we ended up having 9 skaters for the tournament. Needless to say, we didn't do great (we definitely held our own, but we just didn't have the players). One of the highlights was the closing ceremonies at the old Yankee Stadium, and getting to run the bases.

In my hockey life, I've played with countless NHL'ers (whole other story and not trying to write a novel). Hockey has gotten me through bouts of anxiety, depression, addiction, and the loss of my mother. I owe almost everything to hockey, maybe even my life.

If I hadn't had that friend, and some encouragement along the way, I may have never picked up hockey. All of my experiences, my health, body and mind, joy, lifelong friendships - gone. I've since come out to all my hockey friends, and I though I don't broadcast my sexuality when I play (I mean, do straight guys do that?) I also don't hide.

That's why I get so touchy and emotional when things like hockey players not participating in warmups with pride jerseys, or when I see juvenile, stupid posts like the one that triggered this ridiculously long post. These things can damage the perception of a young boy or girl feeling like they can play hockey, that they belong, and that they can be great at it. How many children lost the opportunity to reap the joy and rewards of hockey - body, mind, and spirit.

I feel like the dressing room is a very different place now. I still play hockey with junior, college, and pro hockey players. I never hear homophobic talk in the dressing room. That is because of all the hard work done to build acceptance. Let's not go backwards.

Thanks if you read this!

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hey All,

This is going to be long, so feel free to skip. However, that joke that was posted and shared here about Paul Maurice essentially calling Austen Matthews gay, and that diminishing him as a hockey player kind of triggered me. I am not a 'snowflake', I do understand that there is humor, and humor may offend - but to me, that wasn't a funny joke, and it's kind of damaging - supporting the notion that there is no place in sport for gay people.

I knew I was gay from a fairly young age - probably about 11 - as much as someone that age can really understand it. My Mom asked me when I was younger if I wanted to play hockey - she was finally in a place financially where she could afford it. Keep in mind, this was 40 years ago, and being gay was not cool - and hockey was absolutely not a place for gay people. I told her I didn't want to play, even though I loved hockey. I just didn't think I belonged there.

I did play a lot of ball hockey with my friends, and I was a pretty damned good goalie. I also played defense as you do when you are a kid - playing wherever there's a spot. Then, when I was about 15 my best friend (Habs fan gross) asked me if I wanted to come skating. I figured why not, and laced them up. I immediately fell in love with skating, and got a pair of new Bauers. I'd go out to the twin rinks in my neigborhood and skate around, while the other kids were on the second rink playing shinny. My same friend kept bugging me to play shinny, and finally I did. I was absolutely hooked. I was out every chance I got - after school, until the lights went out (and sometimes after), all day every weekend. It was my place to just be joyful, not worry about my sexuality or feeling different or less than other kids.

My high school team was heading into the season short a goalie. I had never played organized hockey, and only played goal in ball hockey, but I told my Vice Principal that I wanted to play. He was extremely worried about it and tried hard to convince me not to, knowing how dangerous it might be (and probably how bad I would be :P ). However, I was a stubborn kid, and finally he said he'd let me try.

I signed out the goalie gear and I started practicing skating with it. I watched the goalies religiously on HNIC and CKND Jets games. Any time I got to a hockey game live I watched how the goalies warmed up and moved around in the net. Finally, I got my chance to play, and I was pretty bad haha. Good thing was, our team was awful too so no one was looking at me. This was my first experience with locker room talk - and it was pretty awful. It was like the gay talk you heard in the classroom, hallways, waiting for the bus, but like on steriods. I have to admit, I almost quit. It just reinforced the feelings in myself that I was weird, damaged, and less of a valid person than the other kids, and I didn't belong.

I moved to Vancouver when I was 17, and that's when I really started to understand myself. I got a job in a gay nightclub, and started realizing that there were so many other people like me, and they were funny, successful, and happy. UBC had a complex with 4 rinks, and 2 of them had drop in every weekday from 9 am to 4 pm. Because I was a bartender, I only worked 3 or 4 nights a week - so I was there practically every day. I played D sometimes, and goalie most of the time. This is where I started getting really good at hockey. I played against college kids, and pros depending on the time of year.

Then, I found out about a gay hockey team in Vancouver, the Cutting Edges. They only scrimmaged amongst themselves weekly. I joined the team, we did fundraisers, and pretty soon, we had almost 70 players of all different skill levels. We decided to enter the hockey league with three teams across different divisions. I played goal in the top league and defense in the two others. We did not hide the fact that we were a gay team, and that opened us up to some pretty horrific stuff. Like guys telling us not to bleed on them because they didn't want AIDS, talking about how every time we got in the dressing room it was a gangbang, etc. They also tried to physically intimidate us any chance they got.

Unfortunately for them, we were a pretty great hockey team. We had several ex junior and pro players, and we ended up winning the championship in our first year. It was incredible to see the transformation of our opponents from vile insults, to being angry and incrediolous that we beat them, to a sense of respect and even congratulations. I actually ended up getting recruited to play for one of our most heated rivals - and those guys were so incredibly welcoming.

My 'career peak' was being recruited to play for Team Vancouver in the Gay Games in New York. I was supposed to play defense (as I had really started to blossom there) but our goaltender backed out at the last minute, so I ended up playing goal. Some of our other players backed out too, and we ended up having 9 skaters for the tournament. Needless to say, we didn't do great (we definitely held our own, but we just didn't have the players). One of the highlights was the closing ceremonies at the old Yankee Stadium, and getting to run the bases.

In my hockey life, I've played with countless NHL'ers (whole other story and not trying to write a novel). Hockey has gotten me through bouts of anxiety, depression, addiction, and the loss of my mother. I owe almost everything to hockey, maybe even my life.

If I hadn't had that friend, and some encouragement along the way, I may have never picked up hockey. All of my experiences, my health, body and mind, joy, lifelong friendships - gone. I've since come out to all my hockey friends, and I though I don't broadcast my sexuality when I play (I mean, do straight guys do that?) I also don't hide.

That's why I get so touchy and emotional when things like hockey players not participating in warmups with pride jerseys, or when I see juvenile, stupid posts like the one that triggered this ridiculously long post. These things can damage the perception of a young boy or girl feeling like they can play hockey, that they belong, and that they can be great at it. How many children lost the opportunity to reap the joy and rewards of hockey - body, mind, and spirit.

I feel like the dressing room is a very different place now. I still play hockey with junior, college, and pro hockey players. I never hear homophobic talk in the dressing room. That is because of all the hard work done to build acceptance. Let's not go backwards.

Thanks if you read this!

TLDR - maybe later, but .......
Didn't see the joke but a couple of things struck me in your opening paragraph. First, I thought we had gotten past using "gay" as an epithet, at least among adults. And second, so what if he was gay? That does not diminish him as a hockey player, or as a human being.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Great story Jet and thanks for sharing!

It's unfortunate you had to go through some of those negative situations, and while I know society isn't perfect, it's great to hear that from your perspective you think things are a lot better than they used to be.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Great post and story, Jet. Even over here in the UK / Europe we're watching ice hockey joining footy and some other sports in becoming a much bigger, broader tent that's welcoming and rewarding for all. Our great sport needs and hopefully deserves all kinds of great stories, and yours is one.

I was able to work with a few disability-in-sport groups when I was in Canada, and was often struck by the remarkable levels of engagement and skill across the board by athletes there. Sport, like music, has immense potential to move the world forward, and embrace its participants from everywhere and nowhere -- and, of course, be a hell of a lot of fun.

Play on.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @Jet.

I'm glad that many of us (most of us?) in current society can see far beyond the despicable norm that once was with particular reference to sexual orientation. As has been already mentioned sport has a major role in this readjustment (growth) of societal acceptance. Its refreshing and gives me some hope.

Last edited:

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Hey All,

Thanks if you read this!
Thanks for sharing this. Hockey can absolutely be a great unifier of people. It's really unfortunate when outdated political narratives get in the way of simply respecting people as they are. At the end of the day, we likely all want the same thing out of hockey, which is what you got. I'm happy you persevered and have such a healthy relationship with hockey, despite the flaws (especially 40 years ago!) in its culture.

Jimmy Hoots

Oct 10, 2013
Hell yeah. I think gay people might actually make better teammates and competitors. Look up the Sacred Band of Thebes, a particularly powerful troop of Greek soldiers. They were 150 pairs of male lovers, and, as such, fought harder for each other, with libidinal energy. They were feared. Imagine if the Jets were composed the same way, only gay lovers. We'd be undefeated! Make it happen, Chevy.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Hell yeah. I think gay people might actually make better teammates and competitors. Look up the Sacred Band of Thebes, a particularly powerful troop of Greek soldiers. They were 150 pairs of male lovers, and, as such, fought harder for each other, with libidinal energy. They were feared. Imagine if the Jets were composed the same way, only gay lovers. We'd be undefeated! Make it happen, Chevy.
Haha man this made me laugh.

Maybe one day we need to do a 'cuffing szn' post and decide which Jets should link up 😂☠️

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Thank you for sharing your story. It's both inspiring and very sad, especially to learn that so many of your team pulled out of the New York game. Having and having had lesbian friends and roommates, I'm no longer shocked at how mean and nasty so many intelligent people can be. But it's still depressing.

Again, I appreciate you sharing this with us.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
"I mean, do straight guys do that?"
I have the unfortunate knowledge that, yes, some of them do. :laugh:

I'm really happy for you, that you found something that is typically considered exclusive of gay people to be inclusive, thanks to some of the people you met along the way. I'm glad that you found respect and friendship in hockey, and I truly hope that all people of all ages can find such inclusion in the sport. And everywhere, really, but we've got to start somewhere. ("we" being people in general. I'm not gay, nor will I pretend to have experienced the level of cruelty some people treat gay people with.)

As a Wild fan I typically only lurk the Jets forum (I don't want to cause trouble, I'm a generally peaceful guy), but your post moved me to reply. A lot of Wild fans hate Jon Merrill because of his on-ice "contributions", but I love the guy for the way he's handled inclusion in the sport, especially when it comes to his responses to Pride Night. I fully agree, we cannot allow a backwards slide toward homophobia. All people should get to experience the exquisite fruits of life, without having to worry about facing hatred for doing so. Thanks for your bravery, Jet.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Let me know if you want me to pitch a documentary with this exact title to CBC or ARTE... you can be a coproducer as long as you don't argue with me about Scheifele or Perfetti.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
"I mean, do straight guys do that?"
I have the unfortunate knowledge that, yes, some of them do. :laugh:

I'm really happy for you, that you found something that is typically considered exclusive of gay people to be inclusive, thanks to some of the people you met along the way. I'm glad that you found respect and friendship in hockey, and I truly hope that all people of all ages can find such inclusion in the sport. And everywhere, really, but we've got to start somewhere. ("we" being people in general. I'm not gay, nor will I pretend to have experienced the level of cruelty some people treat gay people with.)

As a Wild fan I typically only lurk the Jets forum (I don't want to cause trouble, I'm a generally peaceful guy), but your post moved me to reply. A lot of Wild fans hate Jon Merrill because of his on-ice "contributions", but I love the guy for the way he's handled inclusion in the sport, especially when it comes to his responses to Pride Night. I fully agree, we cannot allow a backwards slide toward homophobia. All people should get to experience the exquisite fruits of life, without having to worry about facing hatred for doing so. Thanks for your bravery, Jet.
Thanks for coming over to comment!

It's funny, I never considered myself brave - just kind of selfish, really haha

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for coming over to comment!

It's funny, I never considered myself brave - just kind of selfish, really haha
I don't think anyone who's brave actually feels brave, they just do it anyway, for whatever reason that allows them to push past the fear/anxiety/other negative emotions. Those reasons don't have to be selfless. Whatever you feel of yourself, I think you're brave.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Thanks Jet... I believe I asked you about your story a while ago in a GDT or something and it was deemed "off topic". Nice to finally get the full version

I judge a person based on their actions and quality of character rather than who they sleep with or what color their skin is, etc. I think that's why the identity politics thing is confusing to me at times

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Thanks Jet... I believe I asked you about your story a while ago in a GDT or something and it was deemed "off topic". Nice to finally get the full version

I judge a person based on their actions and quality of character rather than who they sleep with or what color their skin is, etc. I think that's why the identity politics thing is confusing to me at times
I second that, to a point. I've judged a few girls by who they slept with.

I'm all for having off-topic posts in here, which is what I get most flak about. Those are the interesting ones that you find after slogging through a lot of debates over my favourite player is better than your favourite player. Or worse, the endless debate over who should skate on which line based on the assumption that the coaches are idiots.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Thanks for sharing your story. Great to see how hockey helped get you through some difficult times that no one should have to go through. Something tells me that hockey helped but your inner strength was ultimately how you persevered and thrived.

A free society must include the freedom to choose who you love.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
@Jet

Appreciate you sharing that story in depth. I’ve been trying to think of a thoughtful response but i was not quite sure what to articulate, as I appreciate you as a poster, a person, and your contributions over the years here.

Despite all the work on yourself and challenges you’ve no doubt had to overcome, these types of comments and posts can still cause hurt and deep seeded trauma. I hear you about noting not all jokes are funny and good on you for calling it out. It is a reminder to all of us.

I like to think our HFJets board is one that is welcoming for everyone. It speaks to us as a fan base that we be a place where posts/threads like yours can have a platform and be appreciated, and the message that hockey is for all - you and your fellow teammates were pioneers

I always appreciate your hockey takes and posters like you make me proud to be a Jets fan ✊🏾

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Great share @Jet

Story telling is a phenomenal way to help others gain knowledge/understanding and empathy. You do a good job of finding the balance between standing up for your beliefs while picking your spots, like the tough guys who don't start fights but finish them without hesitation.

frick man it was tough enough and confusing enough trying to navigate that era of my life as a hetro, I can't imagine the compounding effect that being gay in that era had. Good for you to get into hockey and battle your way through it all. You are an inspiration.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad