Prospect Info: My Final Thoughts on Rookie Camp

member 30781

I was at rookie camp all four days and got to see all the prospects participate in drills, scrimmages, and their annual prospects game against the Washington Capitals (a 3-0 win).

There's only so much that you can deduce from rookie camp, but I did get to see the strengths and faults of each prospect. Here are my final thoughts on rookie camp. Hope you enjoy it.

It's a long article filled with observations and quotes from players and coaches.

http://thehockeywriters.com/rezniks-ramblings-thoughts-on-flyers-rookie-camp/

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I really appreciate these very in-depth write ups. And it's great to hear that you think Cousins and Alderson look like viable call ups. You never know when Rinaldo is going to get suspended again (or in my dreams, demoted).

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Cousins will not be the 2nd forward call-up after Laughton. That has no chance of happening.

Evergreen

Thanks for the solid write-up. It's nice to get the opinions of someone who actually got to watch the entire rookie camp.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I would temper my expectations on Cousins for now.

This year for Cousins will be huge. He put up big numbers in the OHL and when drafted was considered to be a scrapy in your face 3rd liner who could chip in. I believe the comparison was a less talented. Brad Marchand. Last year Murray really gave the kid a hard time and made sure that he learned the 200 foot game before giving him offensive minutes. At the end of the year Murray has impressed with how he handed himself and his work ethic and gave him some slack to be more creative, and it payed off. with all the proven AHLers this year it will be interesting to see the role they give to Nic and if they pair him with Straka and Alderson again. If so i see a big year all around from him...

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Cousins will not be the 2nd forward call-up after Laughton. That has no chance of happening.

He was apart of the black aces at the end of the year so at the very least he'll likely be in the conversation if the situation arises.

My guess his chances depend on if they see him strictly as a center or not.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
This year for Cousins will be huge. He put up big numbers in the OHL and when drafted was considered to be a scrapy in your face 3rd liner who could chip in. I believe the comparison was a less talented. Brad Marchand. Last year Murray really gave the kid a hard time and made sure that he learned the 200 foot game before giving him offensive minutes. At the end of the year Murray has impressed with how he handed himself and his work ethic and gave him some slack to be more creative, and it payed off. with all the proven AHLers this year it will be interesting to see the role they give to Nic and if they pair him with Straka and Alderson again. If so i see a big year all around from him...

Good write up about Cousins. I hope he turns into something. I wonder how far he will begin to sink on the prospect depth chart if they begin to pick up some earlier round forward prospects. He's not the biggest guy in the world, but he's not puny. I'm going to reign back expectations a bit and see how he does this year on the Phantoms.

3rd liners are not the most difficult guys to come up with, so I wonder how he fares going forward. He plays center - maybe they move him to wing? There is still a logjam at center. I doubt he plays ahead of G, Couts, Laughton, etc. I'm tempering my expectations a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if he got squeezed out in a numbers game or replaced by future picks.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Good write up about Cousins. I hope he turns into something. I wonder how far he will begin to sink on the prospect depth chart if they begin to pick up some earlier round forward prospects. He's not the biggest guy in the world, but he's not puny. I'm going to reign back expectations a bit and see how he does this year on the Phantoms.

3rd liners are not the most difficult guys to come up with, so I wonder how he fares going forward. He plays center - maybe they move him to wing? There is still a logjam at center. I doubt he plays ahead of G, Couts, Laughton, etc. I'm tempering my expectations a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if he got squeezed out in a numbers game or replaced by future picks.

I am pretty sure they see nick as a winger but murray is very tough on teaching d. Therefore I believe I read that they will keep him at center to learn the defensive part of the game from a tougher position first. I think if he plans out he will be a very nice piece to have on 3rd line. I see him as a Steve ott player.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I am pretty sure they see nick as a winger but murray is very tough on teaching d. Therefore I believe I read that they will keep him at center to learn the defensive part of the game from a tougher position first. I think if he plans out he will be a very nice piece to have on 3rd line. I see him as a Steve ott player.

He's played down the middle when ever suiting up for the Flyers organization so I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
He's played down the middle when ever suiting up for the Flyers organization so I wouldn't be so sure of that.

I strongly believe that if you have a young player who can be either center or wing you start his career at center and let organization depth be the decision factor down the road. Look at Raffl and even PEB. Most 2 way players can play both no problem, and with cousins skill set, he will have to learn the 200 foot game to have a chance as a NHL player. And trust me murray won't let him off the hook if he doesn't.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I strongly believe that if you have a young player who can be either center or wing you start his career at center and let organization depth be the decision factor down the road. Look at Raffl and even PEB. Most 2 way players can play both no problem, and with cousins skill set, he will have to learn the 200 foot game to have a chance as a NHL player. And trust me murray won't let him off the hook if he doesn't.

Maybe they have a change of heart and move him to wing, but he has played center in juniors, and now the pro's. I cant even remember if he played a shift on the wing in the AHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

That's all fine & dandy but he's been a center in juniors & that has continued here with the Flyers organization so I don't see how you came to the conclusion that "they probably see him as a winger" when all the evidence to this point suggest otherwise. It's also not always an easy transition for these guys & in Cousins case he has little to no experience doing so.

However he will likely have to add some versatility to his game if he wants a shot with the Flyers down the road. If he can't but turns out to be a solid center than he'll at least have some trade value since teams are always looking to get better down the middle.

SgtJoseph*

Really good stuff here ! Thank you for taking the time to put this together for us , like hearing about the young lads moving up in our program !

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I don't know how you can make a definitive statement like this and not provide any context. They aren't exactly plucking guys from Grand Rapids. If a guy is performing, he'll be called up.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Cousins was one of those guys who if they could figure out their skating mechanics, already had the other tools to make the transition. Im sure hes been working hard at it because its been his one glaring issue for years now.

I didn't catch any of the game, is there anywhere I can watch a recording?

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I don't know how you can make a definitive statement like this and not provide any context. They aren't exactly plucking guys from Grand Rapids. If a guy is performing, he'll be called up.

Unless his defensive game blossoms rapidly he will be in the AHL. They have too many veteran depth guys to choose him. I'd assume Jones, Vandevelde, and Gordon are all ahead of him. Alderson and Leier might be ahead of him also. Defense comes first.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I used to have pretty high expectations for Cousins. No way am I giving up on the kid but I am not as high on him as I used to be. I hope he proves a lot of people wrong this season tho and has a break out year in LV

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00