My Final Draft Prediction

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The Landeskog groupies need to settled down. He could fall to 6 very easily.

Murphy to the Devils and Hamilton to the Islanders makes a ton of sense.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I never mentioned anything about need. Murphy has been lights out late in the year. My whole point was that it was not out of the realm that both Murphy and Hamilton could be liked better than Landeskog. All of those guys are nice players at the top but it's tough to know just how much each Gm likes each player. The scenario that Landeskog drops to 6 is not likely but the players moving into 4 and 5 are good players.

I agree they are good players, but in my opinion the top 4 I mentioned have seperated themselves from the rest of the draft. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Landeskog was taken number 2 overall to replace the scoring need the Avs have by trading Stewart.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Ottawa Senators via. Nashville - Boone Jenner

I think Jenner is being sold a little bit short, but he's really a guy that can be the total package for a team. He's hard working, strong, big-ish with decent skating, he's got vision and scoring touch, good defensive instincts, and he's a real leader. He's young, too, and I think his work ethic and character could lead him to have potential that exceeds what people are expecting of him. With a little bit of luck I can see him emerging as a good 2nd line centre, or an elite level 3rd line centre in the future.

Anaheim Ducks - Viktor Rask

He was supposed to be a top level talent coming into this year, and his draft stock took a hit with his lack-luster season. He is making an effort to come back from that with his showing in the U-18 tournament where he put his skills on display successfully. He's a good option that, if he pans out, can step in as a 2nd line centre to give the Ducks some much needed offensive depth.

Toronto Maple Leafs via. Boston - Mark Scheifele

I don't like Toronto, but they're getting a good centre at this position. He really made a name for himself with the season he's had and the impressive showing at the U-18 tournament (one of Canada's best players.) He also fits the 'Burkian' mold I guess, being a big, strong guy that has solid two way play. I can see him becoming a Paul Stastny (maybe less talented) type player which would be gold for Toronto.

Detroit Red Wings - Oscar Klefbom

With Lidstrom on his way out I can see them taking a chance on someone that has been moving up the rankings fairly consistently. He had a really good showing at the U-18s, and if Detroit is lucky they might be able to develop him into another premier Swedish defenceman for what is quickly becoming an aging team.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Ty Rattie

They're already such a strong team, and so deep down the middle. Ty Rattie brings the potential to be an elite level winger which is something that Pittsburgh lacks (I don't consider Neal elite.) He's fast, good on his skates and has a great scoring touch. I think a bit of the wind was taken out of his sails with the additions to his team (Johansen, Niederreiter), but it's hard to doubt the talent that he possesses.

Tampa Bay Lightning - Jonas Brodin

I don't know too much about Brodin, but Tampa could use the help for their defensive corps and as far as I can tell Brodin is a pretty highly ranked defensive prospect.

Vancouver Canucks - Zack Phillips

Such a deep team it's really hard to pinpoint what they'd want. Phillips can be used on the wing or as a centre, and he has top 6 potential with his vision, scoring ability and passing. It could be some time before he really cracks the Canuck line-up, but he may surprise some.

San Jose Sharks - Joe Morrow

A team this stacked offensively can use the help on the blue-line from the organization's stores (cheap and effective on ELCs.) I think Morrow is the best option at this point, and he has a good chance of winning the memorial cup with the strength of the team he supports which would raise his stock depending on his performance. At this point it's hard for me to pinpoint who would be the best option for San Jose as I've not had the opportunity to watch THAT many prospects.

-----------------

Hope you all enjoyed this. I'll probably continue to do this and maybe do a comparison after the draft to my draft. =3

Also note I see Ottawa taking the following players with further picks:

OTT 2nd - Tomas Jurco
CHI 2nd - Michael St. Croix
BOS 2nd - Jesse Forsberg

I messed up the Toronto Philly Washington thing so I'll update that when I have time.

Picks 30th and 29th can't be both Western teams because these spots are for the Stanley Cup champions and finalists respectively. 28th and 27th are the Conference finalists, which can't be both Eastern Conference teams, and Pittsburgh had a better record than Tampa anyways. After that, the remaining division winners (the ones who didnt make the CF or SCF) are ranked in terms of regular season records. Currently all of the division leaders are still in it. After that, the rest of the playoff teams are ranked by their regular season records.

So as you can see, you've got the draft rankings mixed up quite a bit. Might as well wait til the playoffs are done.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Picks 30th and 29th can't be both Western teams because these spots are for the Stanley Cup champions and finalists respectively. 28th and 27th are the Conference finalists, which can't be both Eastern Conference teams, and Pittsburgh had a better record than Tampa anyways. After that, the remaining division winners (the ones who didnt make the CF or SCF) are ranked in terms of regular season records. Currently all of the division leaders are still in it. After that, the rest of the playoff teams are ranked by their regular season records.

So as you can see, you've got the draft rankings mixed up quite a bit. Might as well wait til the playoffs are done.

I'm glad that you weer able to read where I said that the Philly pick and the Washington pick were messed up and not included yet. If you were able to count you'd see there are only 28 picks there. I'm well aware that the bottom 4 picks must be ECF and WCF teams. The Philly pick (Toronto) will be slotted inbetween Vancouver and San Jose, and the Washington pick will be right before Tampa.

Last edited:

Tont

May 4, 2006
I'd be very surprised if Calgary took a defenseman, unless Murphy somehow fell to 13. We need offensive prospects in a big way, but have a few quite good defense prospects.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I'd be very surprised if Calgary took a defenseman, unless Murphy somehow fell to 13. We need offensive prospects in a big way, but have a few quite good defense prospects.

Exactly what he said. No D unless its a Ryan murphy drop. If Zibanejad is available, I have a hard time believing Calgary passes on him.

Kid Canesten

Feb 1, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Murray will definitely be talking to the teams ahead of him, and could certainly offer up a Regin or other asset (Sens have three 2nd's and two 3rd's). Murray has either pulled off a trade, or made an offer to in the first round, in each of the last three drafts (moved up to take Karlsson, tried to trade up with to get Kadri, moved the Sens 1st for Rundblad, respectively).

He might be extra aggresive given the Sens have so many draft picks and Murray has also gone on record he has a preferred player he would like to land with that lottery pick.

we only have our 3rd. if nashville loses to vancouver, we'll get thier 3rd in next years draft. if they beat vancouver, we'll get their 2nd.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Landeskog groupies need to settled down. He could fall to 6 very easily.

Murphy to the Devils and Hamilton to the Islanders makes a ton of sense.

Landeskog to one of Colorado, Florida, New Jersey and New York Islanders makes alot of sense as well

ct2111

Mar 29, 2009
Buffalo picking Grimaldi with Scheifele and Zibanejad available? God, I hope not.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

If Landeskog is there at #4, Lou will trade down with Murray and pick up a extra 2nd or if Murray is really desperate for Gabriel, the Preds 1st round pick might be a option if Lou throws a little extra going the other way (Matt Corrente for example).

The Sens would get their guy in Landeskog and the Devils would get Murphy at #6 while adding a extra pick. It would be a win/win scenario for both teams IMO.

Pengo

Jan 27, 2011
I hope you're right about Buffalo taking Grimaldi... maybe not over Zibanejad though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad