My Father: Ultimate Leaf Fan?

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So I rarely start threads and won't post much here originally but in coming weeks as I have time, figured I would post some of this here for the diehard collector types.

My father passed away a month ago today. He was as big a Leaf fan as you could get and the reason I became a Leaf fan. My first great joy as a young boy was being allowed to stay up and watch Hockey Night in Canada with him. For decades after I left home, we had a ritual of always calling each other after the Saturday games to discuss. The last 9 months cancer took him. For the playoffs I would leave work, drive two hours, watch the game with him then get up at 5 AM to make the 2 hour drive home to work knowing this would be the last hockey we had together. Game 7 killed me, not for the loss but the fact that was the end of it for us. I think it will hit me most on the first Saturday night next year.

This weekend I was down sorting some of his stuff and that is what I will share over the next few weeks. He was an insane collector. Way ahead of his time in terms of hockey card collecting (decades before grading existed he was selecting all his cards on the 4 categories that would eventually go into grading). Some of the other neat stuff I found was a bunch of letters he received from letters he had penned to Harold Ballard, King Clancy, Roger Nielsen, Jim Gregory, Daryl Sittler, etc. He has every NHL schedule from 1952-53 onward. A bunch of autographs - many of which I collected when we used to go watch the Baby Leafs any time they were in town as well as pucks we had caught when they flew over the glass (with names of who shot them written on them). Tons of old photos clipped from newspapers going back to the 50's.

I think the most impressive thing was his journals. He always kept notes during the games. He tracked the stats but more impressive was he often wrote down every line combo they used. Remember this dates back to the 50's so a lot of this was done listening to a radio! What I was completely unaware of was he also recorded game summaries. Basically a complete summation of the game including personal observations and takes as well as referencing how it ties into previous games or happenings. Some of it was really fun to read but I have only tackled a small bit so far.

Anyhow, when I get a chance, will try to share. Some of the die hards and collectors out there will probably enjoy!

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Dude, thank you for sharing this. I am an oldster myself, may be older than your dad and I survived what doctors called terminal cancer. But funnily enough, or unfunny enough, growing up, cheering for a horrible team, that was terminally destroyed by Harold Ballard, I believe, affected my life.

I was a big fan. Huge actually of the Leafs But after making friends with many of them and raising money for their ventures . I became much less of a Leaf fan and a fan of guys just playing high level hockey.

And cheering for such a horrid organization, and sitting beside my best friend who was GM of the Leafs sorta trapped by that organization was beyond tough, it was concentration camp.

I bet it was tough on your father. I am so sorry you lost him, sounds like he was very, very important to you. And still is. Don't worry, he still exists and you WILL see him again.

And I hope he is watching the Raptors closely and enjoying Kawhi Leonard immensely, and Kawhi lost his father who he was extremely close to, at a very young age.

The Bible says, honor thy father and honor thy mother, well you have here, my brother.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Dude, thank you for sharing this. I am an oldster myself, may be older than your dad and I survived what doctors called terminal cancer. But funnily enough, or unfunny enough, growing up, cheering for a horrible team, that was terminally destroyed by Harold Ballard, I believe, affected my life.

I was a big fan. Huge actually of the Leafs But after making friends with many of them and raising money for their ventures . I became much less of a Leaf fan and a fan of guys just playing high level hockey.

And cheering for such a horrid organization, and sitting beside my best friend who was GM of the Leafs sorta trapped by that organization was beyond tough, it was concentration camp.

I bet it was tough on your father. I am so sorry you lost him, sounds like he was very, very important to you. And still is. Don't worry, he still exists and you WILL see him again.

And I hope he is watching the Raptors closely and enjoying Kawhi Leonard immensely, and Kawhi lost his father who he was extremely close to, at a very young age.

The Bible says, honor thy father and honor thy mother, well you have here, my brother.

Yeah I wish he was around to be taking in the Raptors! We were fans of all the Toronto teams (suckers for punishment?). Probably our last great sports moment was Tiger Woods winning. Not that either of us were huge fans but when someone is that good, it is nice to see them regain form. I'm far from young myself (soon be into the 6th decade in which I have been watching the Leafs) but your father and mother are always important.

He hated Ballard with a passion (rightly so). LOL. My sister mentioned something the other day about if he met him in the next world and I said "If he does, I hope he kicks him square in the pills!". LOL. He had lots of good times though. Taught in Montreal and got to teach kids of Boom Boom Geoffrion and teach alongside guys like Reggie Flemming. We are lucky enough to have a direct family member in NHL management too with his own Cup ring. I think it's a lot better today than it was for a while.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Awesome post, and sorry for your loss

You should do your post to take photos/scans of his notes and stuff and maybe send it to people who make a charitable donation in his name/honour.

That’d be incredible to read through by the sounds of it.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Sorry to hear about your dad.

I would definitely be interested to see some his notes about past games for sure.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
My condolences for your loss. Clearly we’ve lost a heck of a fan

This is a fantastic post though. The kind of passion that brings us into the sport from a young age, and keeps us all coming back year after you.

Thanks for sharing

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That is awesome stuff.

You didn’t mention if you had any children but what a great way for them to remember their grandfather.

Sounds like your family has been blessed.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
So I rarely start threads and won't post much here originally but in coming weeks as I have time, figured I would post some of this here for the diehard collector types.

My father passed away a month ago today. He was as big a Leaf fan as you could get and the reason I became a Leaf fan. My first great joy as a young boy was being allowed to stay up and watch Hockey Night in Canada with him. For decades after I left home, we had a ritual of always calling each other after the Saturday games to discuss. The last 9 months cancer took him. For the playoffs I would leave work, drive two hours, watch the game with him then get up at 5 AM to make the 2 hour drive home to work knowing this would be the last hockey we had together. Game 7 killed me, not for the loss but the fact that was the end of it for us. I think it will hit me most on the first Saturday night next year.

This weekend I was down sorting some of his stuff and that is what I will share over the next few weeks. He was an insane collector. Way ahead of his time in terms of hockey card collecting (decades before grading existed he was selecting all his cards on the 4 categories that would eventually go into grading). Some of the other neat stuff I found was a bunch of letters he received from letters he had penned to Harold Ballard, King Clancy, Roger Nielsen, Jim Gregory, Daryl Sittler, etc. He has every NHL schedule from 1952-53 onward. A bunch of autographs - many of which I collected when we used to go watch the Baby Leafs any time they were in town as well as pucks we had caught when they flew over the glass (with names of who shot them written on them). Tons of old photos clipped from newspapers going back to the 50's.

I think the most impressive thing was his journals. He always kept notes during the games. He tracked the stats but more impressive was he often wrote down every line combo they used. Remember this dates back to the 50's so a lot of this was done listening to a radio! What I was completely unaware of was he also recorded game summaries. Basically a complete summation of the game including personal observations and takes as well as referencing how it ties into previous games or happenings. Some of it was really fun to read but I have only tackled a small bit so far.

Anyhow, when I get a chance, will try to share. Some of the die hards and collectors out there will probably enjoy!

Sorry for your loss, sounds like you were very close with your dad.

I lost my dad 7 years ago this past May, from ALS (thankfully, it was fast and over within a year, usually it's a horrible, slow acting disease). While he wasn't the superfan that your dad was, he certainly was the guy who introduced me to hockey, made me the Leaf fan I am today, and it was watching hockey together that was one of the many bonding moments we would share.

I thank you for sharing your story, it made me think nostalgically and happily about my own personal experiences with my dad.

/cheers to hockey
/cheers to dads

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Circling back. Yeah, losing a dad. I lost my dad when I was three years old. Gotta admit, I don't think I ever got over it. To this day.

Loved your post brother.

Hope you do man.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Powerful post, brother.

I'm losing my dad to a different horror; Alzheimer's.

He's in a home back in Canada and lucky a good one where he's treated well.

And I'm living in Southeast Asia...

I was back for a while in 2017-18 to help him and take care of him, but while I arrived in summer, the date I had circled was October 4th, 2017 - which some of you will famously remember is the date on which we gave the Jets an ass-waxing worthy of a hip-hop song in their own barn, 7-2.

I still remember when I was maybe five and me, him and a few of my buddies went to an old timers game.

Maurice Richard was the referee and fun fact: he's a total prick, gave out very few autographs...like not even to the kids!

But my dad got one of them, because he spoke French to him.

Like my dad is, the Rocket's autograph is just sitting in a box somewhere.

Even now barely two years later he's noticeably worse...

He's frail and falling so frequently that he needs a walker.

His memory is fine...if he's been out and about taking to people, but it's a mess when he stays at home alone all day watching TV.

He did, however, video call me the day after game seven, the first thing out of his mouth?

'Ugh, these f***in losers!'

And that made me laugh. Despite it all, he is still very passionate about the team.

I think he's got four years left, any more are gravy, I hope the boys can pull it together because the last time they won he was 24 - and I myself am quite a bit older than that now...and barring something significant I will not be back until this time next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmalady

Macman

May 15, 2004
My father is 88 and the clock is definitely running down for him. He used to listen to Leafs games on the radio when he was a kid. He took me to my first game at MLG in 1964. We talk Leafs after every game, although his takes about the team drive me a little insane. "Fire Babcock. Trade Matthews. Trade Nylander." Sounds like a lot of people here, actually. I keep telling him he reminds me of Floyd Smith!

Still, there's nothing I'd like more than to see the Leafs win the Cup for him before he goes. Before I go too.

Reactions: Its not your fault

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Sorry for your loss.

Sounds like you had a rich relationship with your dad, and that's something that will never be taken from you.

Lost my dad when I was 19, and he really is the only thing missing from my life, touch wood. It's been 28 years, but I still feel him every day, and I still think of him, every day.

It doesn't end, it just goes on in a different way. Keep his memory alive, and he will always be with you.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Some day, I like to think, the Leafs will win the Cup. And those of us who are there to witness it will be thinking of people like your dad. He will be there in spirit.

Fun fact: my sister gave him a 25 year old bottle of scotch from a trip to Scotland maybe 25 years ago. He vowed not to crack it open until the Leafs won the Cup. Interestingly, Johnny Bower (my all time favourite and another absolute gem of a man, as anyone who has ever met him will attest to) had two bottles of champagne that he saved from the locker room of the 67 Cup win (one of which he opened, the second he vowed to never crack until the Leafs won the Cup). I was quite saddened when he passed, knowing he never got to do so. I wonder if someone will look after that for him one day?

Reactions: kb

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
Great post. Sorry for your loss though.

I became a hockey fan because of TeamCanada at the Olympics in the early 90's. I had never seen this sport before (living in a small country in Europa famous for soccer and speed skating) and was immediately hooked. Canada played France and by chance (was it really?) I picked Canada. I thought (as a small kid) it was a small country with not that many players lol. By playing the NHL Nintendo games I became a Leafs fan. Years went by and I always turned to TeamCanada at the worldcup (thinking it was a big deal). I also thought TeamCanada didn't have many players lol.

My dad promised me to take me to a hockey game, but never did. When I was 15 he left us and we didn't spoke since then. Years later he passed away and I never went to a game. Since I am a dad myself I've been to Toronto a couple of times and took my son to the Blues game. Unfortunately the game was just hours after our plane landed and he was sooo jetlagged, he fell asleep after the first period (was still 0-0 then), but still.

Long story short, family is important, especially your parents.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
Sorry to hear about your loss
Iam glad you had that special time with your father.
I thought I was crazy with stats but your father took it to another level.
The leafs my want to see what you have unless you want to keep it as a memory of your father.
Again sorry for your loss.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Thank you for sharing. I suspect we are close in age, and I can relate as my father and I have shared a long history of waiting and watching the Leafs.

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I consider myself a big fan, but keeping stats, notes, and tracking linemates during games over the radio is next level man. Sorry for your loss.

Yeah the shift stuff blew me away! The number of combos he'd record was crazy.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Awesome post, and sorry for your loss

You should do your post to take photos/scans of his notes and stuff and maybe send it to people who make a charitable donation in his name/honour.

That’d be incredible to read through by the sounds of it.

When I get a chance I will share some for sure. It was interesting reading his take on the Domi elbow game or comments about Toskala and some others.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Powerful post, brother.

I'm losing my dad to a different horror; Alzheimer's.

He's in a home back in Canada and lucky a good one where he's treated well.

And I'm living in Southeast Asia...

I was back for a while in 2017-18 to help him and take care of him, but while I arrived in summer, the date I had circled was October 4th, 2017 - which some of you will famously remember is the date on which we gave the Jets an ass-waxing worthy of a hip-hop song in their own barn, 7-2.

I still remember when I was maybe five and me, him and a few of my buddies went to an old timers game.

Maurice Richard was the referee and fun fact: he's a total prick, gave out very few autographs...like not even to the kids!

But my dad got one of them, because he spoke French to him.

Like my dad is, the Rocket's autograph is just sitting in a box somewhere.

Even now barely two years later he's noticeably worse...

He's frail and falling so frequently that he needs a walker.

His memory is fine...if he's been out and about taking to people, but it's a mess when he stays at home alone all day watching TV.

He did, however, video call me the day after game seven, the first thing out of his mouth?

'Ugh, these ****in losers!'

And that made me laugh. Despite it all, he is still very passionate about the team.

I think he's got four years left, any more are gravy, I hope the boys can pull it together because the last time they won he was 24 - and I myself am quite a bit older than that now...and barring something significant I will not be back until this time next year.

Sorry to hear about your Dad and that's rough being at that distance. My Dad had Alzheimer's as well for about 4 years. Luckily he only lost his short term memory so was fine otherwise. The cancer in my mind was a blessing in that he didn't have to continue down the Alzheimer's road which can drag on for a decade and eventually leads to you really no longer being there.

I hear you on the funny moments. We were lucky enough that we kept him at home till the end (as he wanted) and the whole family spent his final week together. He was a very musical man and very funny man and he kept both right to the end. I honestly don't think one could ask for more. To the humour part, there was a few times despite the obvious negative that he'd crack us up. Like a couple times where he'd start playing air guitar out of the blue to a song. Or one day he woke up and tried to get my mother's attention in the other room. She didn't hear so I said "Mom, Dad's trying to talk to you". He says "I was just trying to make sure I had the name of the person I was talking to right" (he was joking with her). She shot back (jokingly) "My name is ar$ehole". Without missing a beat he says "Well, at least you're honest". LOL. You'd have to know their relationship but he was always teasing her.....that was their thing. There were three separate occasions where we thought "this is the moment" and in one instance my sister was saying a prayer for him. A very solemn moment but at one point I had to put my head down as I was struggling not to burst out laughing. Reason being that whatever she was reciting had the word "peacemakers" in it. Dad was a huge Monty Python fan and in The Life of Brian there is a scene where a bunch of people are delivering speeches and crowds are gathered around but often not listening closely. One of the speakers says "Blessed are the peacemakers" but the guy in the back hears it as "cheesemakers" and says to his friend "Blessed are the cheesemakers? What the f@#K did THEY ever do?". That was why I was struggling not to laugh because despite the fact he was barely able to speak the last 3 days, I just knew that had I said "blessed are the cheesemakers" that somehow the bugger would have found a way to hit the punch line out of the park!! LOL

I guess that's what you have to take out of it. Enjoy those moments as they come. About 3 years ago I woke up to go to work and unexpectedly my wife had passed in her sleep. In many ways that's probably best for the person who passes but it's tough on the ones left behind. You don't get to have those moments or say the things you would. I would say that's one thing that was better in this loss. Got to spend quality time and truly appreciate things. It definitely changes your perspective on life and what is important. People sweat so much trivial crap. I make a conscious effort since my wife passed to make sure every conversation I have with friends or family that however we part ways, that I know that if it was somehow the last thing I said to them that I would be happy with how we left because we don't know when will be the last.

All I could advise people is that when you are getting caught up in pettiness or day to day life, step back and let the people you care about know how you feel about them.

I am really enjoying people's stories in this thread. Perhaps a nice "break" of a thread from the usual during these summer months.

Auston Powers

May 16, 2016
Toronto
Incredible post!

Not only does it sound like you had a great dad but it also sounds like you are a great man and son as well!

I am sorry for your loss and I enjoy the games when I can with my dad as well. I will be passing this post onto him to read as he will be very touched by what you shared with all of us.

Go leafs go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad