My Draft Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Hey all

I was thinking about the draft and I think the best way to do it is a weighted lottery. So the Pens would get the most entries and the Bolts the least. You are drawn out of a big roller and you draft where your team was picked. You can fall or rise to any position. So in theory, the Pens could fall all the way to 30, and Tampa could get Crosby, but the chances are remote. I think this will work because of a few reasons:

1. Say the Pens fall all the way to 10th. They will still be able to draft a great player and they did get Malkin last year and Fleury the year before that. They aren't hurting.

2. When the cap is in place some teams will have to dump a lot of talent. Teams like the Pens will be able to sign these guys and make their teams better right now. They can get some good vets to help usher in the next gen talent. And in the end, isn't the point of this game, to win the cup? Not drafting the next great young kid? Does it really matter to Pens fans if they become a cup contender with Crosby or without? They are still contenders...

3. This gives every team a shot at the kid. The NHL can play up Crosby and start up the hype machine. Like what the NBA did for Lebron. Get all the fans excited about this kid and announce that every team will get a chance at him. This would go far in bringing some wayward fans back into the folds.

Thoughts?

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I think it's a valid idea.... but the thought of the stanley cup champion adding a guy like Crosby or even Brule would sicken many. We'll see what the NHL is like when they make a deal and then they'll figure something out im sure. Your idea is good I'd go for it but I'm sure 30 owners wouldn't.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
I like the idea of a weighted lotetery for each position, but I'd like to restrict the range of selectionts that you can move up to ten. We don't know exactly how this year would have ended up, but it's reasonable to conclude that it would be somthing like last years. The penguins, caps hawk, and rangers whern't gonna win the cup and Tampa's not about to dive ack to the bottom. Having a lottery for eack induvidual space would ensure that the draft order mixes up a bit, but it would still make sure that team didn't get tottaly screwed.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
1. Say the Pens fall all the way to 10th. They will still be able to draft a great player and they did get Malkin last year and Fleury the year before that. They aren't hurting.
Who cares what they got the last two years? That shouldn't have any impact on the weight of the lottery.

They've finished in the bottom 5 of the league for 3 straight years. They're hurtin'.

This gives every team a shot at the kid.
What shot? Teams have "a shot" at the cup, because it's within their own control. But any lottery is pure luck.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I'll be very surprised if there is a draft this summer. It'll be unfair no matter what happens.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i like the 3 tiered based on 10 and 20 idea the best. the only twist i would add to keep everyone happy is:
do a seperate draft for only the no.1 pick using 1000 balls (or something like that) and base the number of balls per team to last season. that way its still slanted that a bad team gets crosby, but everyone gets at least a slight chance, and everyone else gets close to their regular pick. no one would complain about this, the pens and caps would still be in the top ten - but everyone has a shot at the big prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad