My comprehensive Benning criticism

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I read and respect everything you post @orcatown but had to stop and say I have a hard time accepting Bartkowski in the positive column. That said, i'm gonna go finish reading your post now.

Nevermind didn't see it was under the contracts banner.

Last edited:

Chuck Feathers

May 2, 2019
The difference between the two situations is stark. Yzerman spent a few seasons in the red wings front office learning the ropes under Holland, and took a GM position with another team after Holland signed an extension. Joe Sakic and Rob Blake also took lesser roles in their respective teams front office before moving up the ranks.

Linden was busy building houses in Kelowna with his brother and hawking contact lenses when he was randomly named President of the team. It really has been understated how absurd the whole thing was and, honestly, how unfair it was to put him in that position.

And I say that as someone who doesn't like Linden much at all.

Not to mention Stevie Y was the leader of an actual (multi) championship team, so has first hand knowledge over many years of what that process looks like and requires..

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Bartkowski is marginal. However, he was signed and played for other NHL teams after leaving here which somewhat legitimizes the Canucks signing him. Makes him seem more legit NHL material and thus worth a contract. Agree he was not a good signing if you just consider his efforts in Vancouver.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Bartkowski is marginal. However, he was signed and played for other NHL teams after leaving here which somewhat legitimizes the Canucks signing him. Makes him seem more legit NHL material and thus worth a contract. Agree he was not a good signing if you just consider his efforts in Vancouver.
Only signed a one year deal for us so even though he laid an egg, we didn’t give up any assets to get him & only had to suffer one season with him on the team. Too bad Benning couldn’t continue this filling out the roster this way instead of not just overpaying guys but giving term and/or NTCs to bottom six D’s or 3rd/4th line forwards.

Last edited:

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Only signed a one year deal for us so even though he laid an egg, we didn’t give up any assets to get him & only had to suffer one season with him on the team. Too bad Benning couldn’t continue this filling out the roster this way instead of not not overpaying guys but giving term and/or NTCs to bottom six D’s or 3rd/4th line forwards.

My random guess is that he felt like since the one offs didn't work so he had to go for the bigger 'fish' of the depth world.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
[QUOTE="ProstheticConscience, post: 160554957, member: 102300"

You can say that, sure, Garrison for a 2nd was a good deal. But then he immediately negated it by throwing that pick away on Linden Vey. So you can't really look at it in isolation.[/QUOTE]
Then you realize he really listened to his coaches, that was a Desjardin trade.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
[QUOTE="ProstheticConscience, post: 160554957, member: 102300"

You can say that, sure, Garrison for a 2nd was a good deal. But then he immediately negated it by throwing that pick away on Linden Vey. So you can't really look at it in isolation.
So he made a deal based on his coach's advice without doing any research himself? Sounds pretty bloody stupid to me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know this is one of the few off-seasons where a GM with some smarts could really move the Canucks forward rapidly. Too many teams with cap problems and players they need to unload. Also some interesting UFA's who could plug some huge holes in the lineup, and the Canucks certainly have oodles of cap space.

But every time I think of Jimbo actually picking up the phone and making some of these deals happen, I get that same hopeless feeling.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
You know this is one of the few off-seasons where a GM with some smarts could really move the Canucks forward rapidly. Too many teams with cap problems and players they need to unload. Also some interesting UFA's who could plug some huge holes in the lineup, and the Canucks certainly have oodles of cap space.

But every time I think of Jimbo actually picking up the phone and making some of these deals happen, I get that same hopeless feeling.

Totally agree. Canucks have $26 million in cap space and only one big contract they have to sign (Boeser). Then they're two years away from having to re-up Pettersson and Hughes. Instead of throwing away cap space on more Erickssons and Beagles, why not use it to pry away good players on good contracts from teams facing a cap crunch? This was Botch's argument and I think he was right.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Totally agree. Canucks have $26 million in cap space and only one big contract they have to sign (Boeser). Then they're two years away from having to re-up Pettersson and Hughes. Instead of throwing away cap space on more Erickssons and Beagles, why not use it to pry away good players on good contracts from teams facing a cap crunch? This was Botch's argument and I think he was right.
Because that takes:

A plan that involves the future.

The Canucks do not have such a plan.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

It doesn’t hurt Vey’s chances that general manager Jim Benning targeted him in his early days on the job. During his time in Boston, Benning watched Vey play a number of games with his former Manchester linemates Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.
“I think they were the best line in the AHL,” Benning said Friday.

He is one of those guys that can buy time with the puck and he has real good vision so he can set players up for good scoring chances,” Benning said. “His vision of the ice and his ability to find open guys is a skill that he has that I think separates him from other players. He has worked hard this summer and is in the best shape he has ever been in, so I’m looking forward to seeing what he does.”

Linden Vey looks to make the most of his chance with Canucks[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3