My Bold Predictions for The B's in 2019-20

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Realistic, Steen and Coyle. Rask for the Vezina is a longshot i think.

Edit: Nevermind i read the details, not the headings. Most realistic would be Coyle and Grzelcyk

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Realistic, Steen and Coyle. Rask for the Vezina is a longshot i think.

Edit: Nevermind i read the details, not the headings. Most realistic would be Coyle and Grzelcyk

I can't see Rask winning it , just based on the games played Bias. Let's say Tuukka plays 50 games what type of numbers would he need. I think youd almost need something like 32-12-6

Reactions: TD Charlie

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I really like the idea of a Gryz/McAvoy pairing. Very smart, very dynamic and wouldn't be out-skated by any line. Realistic possibility in my opinion.

Coyle I'm not sold on yet. He's had a career of inconsistency, which is fine for a third line role. But to expect him to take over for Krejci... Makes me nervous. And I don't know what kind of salary he'd expect. I'm really wait-and-see with him.

It's already mentioned above, but Tuukka and Vezina doesn't happen unless he's a rockstar right out of the gate and gets more starts than he's expected to. The Jennings isn't out of the question though.

Heinen has the ability to be a 60 point guy. Bold, but realistic. He just needs to quicken his decision-making with the puck and play with confidence. He has the IQ and all the tools.

Steen I have little opinion on. Just haven't seen him play near enough to know if that's realistic or not. Maybe?

Reactions: Lo97 and Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I was having so much fun, and I'm so hopped up on cough syrup, I decided to drop another article tonight. This one is a little lighter in tone, but still has some meat on it.

I think two of these are actually realistic, guess which ones:

Joe Chrzanowski: Bold Predictions For The Bruins 2019-20 Season

Fantastic read...pretty much bang on. Thinking Steen/Lauko will be exchanging goals. The hope is Bjork keeps up.

I love Chara however it is time he moves down to bottom pairing with PK responsibilities.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Some good, well thought out predictions. then there was Heinen with 60 points. Next year he should be in the running for the Hart and Ross.

I really like your blog posts, we have differing opinions (some very differing) on a few subjects but you are doing a great job and it is well written and researched.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I will go the other way and say there's two that won't happen and that's Rask winning the Vezina and reaching 60 points, but if I had to pick two that will happen,its Coyle signing and extension and McAvoy being paired with Grizz.

Last edited:

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Great read! :thumbu:
I'd say the Coyle and top pairing of Grzelcyk-McAvoy predictions are the most realistic.
I'm afraid they're going to bounce Heinen from line to line again this year, and that Tukkaa won't have enough games played to be considered a serious candidate.
That said, I hope you are right on all accounts! :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ok...time to come clean.

I do think all five of those predictions are possible, but not all are probable. I would say that in order, from most probable to least probable, they would be:

Coyle Extension
Grizz - Mac Pairing
Heinen hits 60 pts
Steen Career Goals
Rask Vezina

I think the Boston FO loves Coyle’s puck possession game, and he fits what I think the B’s are trying to do up front (speedy, skilled scoring wings with big 2-way centers who can skate). I think he can be one of those “transition players” that gets the B’s from Bergeron and Krejci to Beecher and Studnicka. Would like to see a 5-6 year deal for $5.25m per.

Grizz and Mac looked good at BU and in cameos for the Bruins. They fit the way the league is going with puck transition and zone entry. Grizz is not big, but he’s solid defensively and he can cover for McAvoy when he goes riverboat gambler. If Grizz leaves via the expansion draft this spot will eventually be filled by Vaak.

Everyone knows how I feel about Heinen. If he was with 63 and 37, he definitely hits 60. With Coyle on the 3rd line, I think he can get close, but probably won’t see enough PP play time to make it happen. I would be happy with 45-50.

I am really high on Steen and believe he is going to be a fine player in the NHL. Not sure if he will outscore Studnicka, Beecher or maybe Lauko, but he’s got a shot.

I believe Rask is perfectly capable of winning the Vezina, and I also think he will be very good this year. The problem is there are so many good goalies in the NHL, one of them is likely to have a career season and beat him out.

Keep the opinions coming.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Good stuff Joe, like always!

My bold predictions for the team this year are not nearly as optimistic as yours. My prediction is that the team will see regression from last year, hovering around the 6-8 spot of playoff qualifiers and that they'll get bounced in the first round. Sucks to say, but last season's long run coupled with the team's core being a year older doesn't bode well, IMO.

I'm sure some folks will crucify me for even saying it, so have at it boys...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Good stuff Joe, like always!

My bold predictions for the team this year are not nearly as optimistic as yours. My prediction is that the team will see regression from last year, hovering around the 6-8 spot of playoff qualifiers and that they'll get bounced in the first round. Sucks to say, but last season's long run coupled with the team's core being a year older doesn't bode well, IMO.

I'm sure some folks will crucify me for even saying it, so have at it boys...

Could happen, but I don’t see it. Can’t picture the B’s falling past 3rd, but even if they do get in as a WC, they still have a good shot of making some noise in the playoffs. I think Boston has the depth in PRO to call some guys up and overcome the age and long season last year.

But who really knows?

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Could happen, but I don’t see it. Can’t picture the B’s falling past 3rd, but even if they do get in as a WC, they still have a good shot of making some noise in the playoffs. I think Boston has the depth in PRO to call some guys up and overcome the age and long season last year.

But who really knows?

The depth in PRO is the wild card here. I really hate that Backes and Ritchie are on this roster and think both are so devoid of ability that it's problematic. I think compounding that issue is the organizations reluctance to promote guys from their prospect pool, for whatever reason.

Time will tell though, and I'm sure it will all work itself out eventually.

Reactions: Estlin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Nice article GD. Really well done.

Some very sound well-thought out predictions.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Everyone knows how I feel about Heinen. If he was with 63 and 37, he definitely hits 60. With Coyle on the 3rd line, I think he can get close, but probably won’t see enough PP play time to make it happen. I would be happy with 45-50.

I'm going to campaign all season to see Heinen and Krejci together. Heinen breaks 60 with Krejci, IMO. I think Krejci plays better with a good passer on his left and I think Heinen fits that mold better than JDB. I've also liked what little I've seen of DeBrusk and Coyle together. Admittedly, at this stage it's mostly just a hunch but I'm going to be looking for it all year.

Marchand - Bergy - Pasta
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kuhlman
Heinen - Krejci - NewGuy

I'd also like to see Heinen play the bumper on the 2nd unit. He's done it at times and I thought he looked really good there.

PP1
DeBrusk
Pasta - Bergeron - Marchand
Krug

PP2
Coyle
Krejci - Heinen - Gryz
McAvoy​

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
If Coyle we re-signed, some bold speculation would also have to include which current roster player gets moved to create the cap space. All within the realm of possibilities, but I truly believe the B's will regress this season and that will hurt the Rask prediction; otherwise, I truly hope you are correct with most of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad