Blue Jays Discussion: MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP!: The Josh Donaldson story

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoss

May 25, 2011
I'd like to thank whoever it was that was responsible for making a gif of this. One of the most random funny things i've seen in awhile, from a couple games ago. Doesn't have the full clip but good enough.

092715_tor_kawasaki_bautista_med_zfv7j701.gif

Love this Jays team. Hope they go all the way, they certainly have all the potential to. Here's to watching them clinch the AL East in game 1 tomorrow. :cheers:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Haha ya. Only parks that are worse are Tropicana and Oakland Coliseum. RC first needs to plant natural grass. That turf :rant:

While I agree that they should continue looking into natural grass, you also have to remember that the current turf is a massive improvement over previous versions.

However, besides the turf, what are people's issues with the Rogers Centre? Is it simply that it's not pretty like Camden Yards? If so, does that really effect you watching a ball game. Because, I've been games in Camden Yards and to be honest, watching a game there didn't really seem any different than watching one in Rogers Centre. So, am I missing something? Is it something more than prettiness? Because I honestly don't see much of a difference.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He shouldn't be unless the Angels sweep the Rangers the final 4 games. Some team has to win those games.

all 3 of the NL West teams don't have to pass them. Just 2 of them and the Twins.

It's unlikely, but not impossible. If the Yanks want to make the playoffs they should do themselves a solid a win a game or 2 to lock it up.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
While I agree that they should continue looking into natural grass, you also have to remember that the current turf is a massive improvement over previous versions.

However, besides the turf, what are people's issues with the Rogers Centre? Is it simply that it's not pretty like Camden Yards? If so, does that really effect you watching a ball game. Because, I've been games in Camden Yards and to be honest, watching a game there didn't really seem any different than watching one in Rogers Centre. So, am I missing something? Is it something more than prettiness? Because I honestly don't see much of a difference.

I love the Rogers Centre, but if you can't tell the difference between it sitting at PNC/Camden/hell even Progressive (and so forth) on a nice summer evening to watch baseball...I don't really know what to say.

But I seem to recall you as the same guy who doesn't care for pre-game video montages, intermission reports etc, so I'm not surprised by your viewpoint. Which is fine, but just in the distinct minority. The game is the exact same, but the experience is wholly different.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
I love the Rogers Centre, but if you can't tell the difference between it sitting at PNC/Camden/hell even Progressive (and so forth) on a nice summer evening to watch baseball...I don't really know what to say.

But I seem to recall you as the same guy who doesn't care for pre-game video montages, intermission reports etc, so I'm not surprised by your viewpoint. Which is fine, but just in the distinct minority. The game is the exact same, but the experience is wholly different.

Yeah, when the place is full and the game is going, the Dome is an amazing place and really fun. When it's open it's not as bad because you have the CN tower overlooking the stadium and that's a truly unique experience, but it doesn't compare to those stadiums or Wrigley or even Yankee Stadium.

One thing I'm looking forward to next year, even though we won't be getting natural grass until 2017 at the earliest, is having a dirt basepath and warning track. The basepath is obvious, but I haven't see much mention of the warning track which has always bothered me as well as something that doesn't really fulfill its purpose to warn players that they're coming up on a wall, especially on those high foul balls where players are trying to keep track of it and don't realize where they are.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Here's what I love about the Rogers Centre, I know that no matter what, I am going to watch a ball game. I don't have to worry that it's going to get rained out and I wasted a 2 hour drive and may not be able to see the make-up game. It may not be pretty, but it works. And when it's packed, it's a fine building.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Here's what I love about the Rogers Centre, I know that no matter what, I am going to watch a ball game. I don't have to worry that it's going to get rained out and I wasted a 2 hour drive and may not be able to see the make-up game. It may not be pretty, but it works. And when it's packed, it's a fine building.

Especially for October

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

100%.

I can remember as a kid making the trek with the family to the Ex only to have the game rained out....wasn't fun.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Couldn't have said it better myself. Amazing...I wonder where all those "Rogers Centre is a concrete disaster" comments that people online and on the radio used to bring up all the time. When the place is packed and there's a sea of blue the place is rocking and fun to be in. It's a solid building that definitely needs some upgrades but really we're all there to watch a game and cheer on our boys.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Yeah I would say the Dome is the #1 good aspect that I would want out of any new stadium here (not that they will build one). I just wish it was built 10 years later and not in the mold of 'hey lets take the cookie cutter stadiums from the 70's and slap a dome on it.' Imagine the Toronto skyline in these pics out in LF and its a way cooler place to watch

seattle2.jpg

washington_seattle_mariners_athletics_01.jpg

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah I would say the Dome is the #1 good aspect that I would want out of any new stadium here (not that they will build one). I just wish it was built 10 years later and not in the mold of 'hey lets take the cookie cutter stadiums from the 70's and slap a dome on it.' Imagine the Toronto skyline in these pics out in LF and its a way cooler place to watch

seattle2.jpg

Not even 10 years later. Just a couple of years later. Camden Yards, for example, was opened in 1992/1993?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Couldn't have said it better myself. Amazing...I wonder where all those "Rogers Centre is a concrete disaster" comments that people online and on the radio used to bring up all the time. When the place is packed and there's a sea of blue the place is rocking and fun to be in. It's a solid building that definitely needs some upgrades but really we're all there to watch a game and cheer on our boys.

Precisely. When the Dome is packed, all the other stuff becomes irrelevant. Obviously the Dome doesn't have the aesthetic beauty as the majority of the other parks, but when those are less than half full, those parks lose their lustre as well.

What I do miss about the Dome though take me back to my childhood: 1. It still being called the SkyDome (which the majority of people still call it anyways); 2. Domer, the turtle mascot which surely many of us still have at home somewhere; and 3. The outfield walls with giant logos of the other teams in the division placed in order of standing.

I have no problem with Rogers pumping the millions of dollars into the stadium and keeping it around for another 25 years. Perfect location, always guarantee of baseball, and it's still one of the things that defines Toronto's skyline.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'd like to thank whoever it was that was responsible for making a gif of this. One of the most random funny things i've seen in awhile, from a couple games ago. Doesn't have the full clip but good enough.

092715_tor_kawasaki_bautista_med_zfv7j701.gif

Love this Jays team. Hope they go all the way, they certainly have all the potential to. Here's to watching them clinch the AL East in game 1 tomorrow. :cheers:

LOL, Bautista looks like a sheikh.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Precisely. When the Dome is packed, all the other stuff becomes irrelevant. Obviously the Dome doesn't have the aesthetic beauty as the majority of the other parks, but when those are less than half full, those parks lose their lustre as well.

What I do miss about the Dome though take me back to my childhood: 1. It still being called the SkyDome (which the majority of people still call it anyways); 2. Domer, the turtle mascot which surely many of us still have at home somewhere; and 3. The outfield walls with giant logos of the other teams in the division placed in order of standing.

I have no problem with Rogers pumping the millions of dollars into the stadium and keeping it around for another 25 years. Perfect location, always guarantee of baseball, and it's still one of the things that defines Toronto's skyline.

well i think that was part of the reason we got the new president we got right? he helped with making the Indians arena more current.

i like the dome very much and i think they'll totally make it pretty. (i'm biased though because my family helped build it :D )

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Not even 10 years later. Just a couple of years later. Camden Yards, for example, was opened in 1992/1993?

Yeah but you still need the roof. No one wants to watch baseball in April/October when its like 2 degrees outside

The good roof technology to be able to put a retractable dome in a more...'free-standing' structure didn't really exist until the late 90's.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010

seattle2.jpg

I have been to 15 out of the 30 stadiums in the past 3 years and while the game of baseball is the same on the field but the whole park experience is really different in each place.

I love the new stadiums who have the feel of being closer to the action even in the upper decks and the attractions in the park from concessions to museums to party zones all are better. In most new parks you can almost watch the game from the concourses.

Eventually down the road hopefully Toronto can get a new stadium or at least update Roger's Centre to provide a newer experience for fans.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah but you still need the roof. No one wants to watch baseball in April/October when its like 2 degrees outside

The good roof technology to be able to put a retractable dome in a more...'free-standing' structure didn't really exist until the late 90's.

I was talking about a Camden Yards with a roof. You couldn't put a roof on that kind of stadium back then? Strange.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
camden yards is bland. I like parks with some kind of visual interest over the outfield walls, but not that one

I might even prefer the skydome to that one

I started following the Jays again this season for no real reason, and picked a great year because nobody was predicting they'd win anything, and was pleasantly surprised how nice the dome looked. My memories of it were ugly grey cement everywhere. I think adding some blue paint made all the difference. The 'grass' looks nicer too. Less of that ugly glare on it that reminds you how fake it is.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
all 3 of the NL West teams don't have to pass them. Just 2 of them and the Twins.

It's unlikely, but not impossible. If the Yanks want to make the playoffs they should do themselves a solid a win a game or 2 to lock it up.

As of right now the Yankees have a 99.8% of making the playoffs.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad