Salary Cap: Muzzin OR Barrie (Pick One)

Re-Sign Muzzin OR Barrie

• Total voters

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
With both being UFA's at year's end, and the current cap situation permitting only 1/2 to re-sign, do you go with Muzzin or Barrie? Factor in age, expected contract length/$, etc. etc.

Now that we're at the halfway mark of the season, and we've seen both players under two different coaches/systems, we should have a decent impression of what they bring.

I'm curious to see where the board stands at this point as I flip back and forth on this topic myself. All i'm certain of is that you cannot commit term to Muzzin.

Reactions: Jeypic

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Both have been having bad seasons, but even in his bad season Muzzin is useful whereas Barrie is mostly a liability.

Also Muzzin clearly looks hurt, so assuming he gets healthy at some point, I'd much rather keep him.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Have zero interest in bringing Barrie back. Muzzin on a deal around what he is making right now I would love to have back though. Clearly fighting an injury.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Rielly or Pietrangelo? Pick one ha

I would prefer to have Pietrangelo and Rielly with 5 of our young dmen actually!

Cut out Muzzin/Barrie and Ceci. That enough for Pietrangelo and Dermott plus another forward roster player moved. The transition should continue minimum and cap space trump falling in love with players.

Lots of hockey trades will be needed to keep competitive going forward

Last edited:

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Unless Muzzin comes cheap, then neither. Muzzin looks terrible this year and Barrie is just downright bad

Reactions: Burkeocet

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You could actually fit both for a combined 12 million. If we wanted to. Not saying we will want either but it’s possiblw

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Barrie has been playing much better lately but I have no interest in signing him at what he’s probably going to ask for.

I love Muzzin but he has looked awful lately and I’m worried about him deteriorating quickly after an extension.

Reactions: Burkeocet

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Muzzin in a heartbeat.

We aren’t resigning Barrie, trade him and maximize the asset. The kids are ready for a call up anyways, let’s get on with it. Apart from PP point man, which Reilly can reassume, we will be fine without him.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Barrie has been playing much better lately but I have no interest in signing him at what he’s probably going to ask for.

I love Muzzin but he has looked awful lately and I’m worried about him deteriorating quickly after an extension.
This is the kicker.

Muzzin is about to turn 31 and his skating is going to decline rapidly. Visibly, he has some of the most laborious skating in the league already; factor in his back problems and constant nagging injuries, I could easily see him being out of the league in 4 years (if not less).

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
For me it's Muzzin and it's not even close. We need DEFENCE. We have tons of guys with offensive upside in the system. Sandin, Liljegren coming up through the ranks. Rielly and Dermott in house already. Muzzin brings an element we don't have much of. Barrie has for the most part been uninspiring given he came with a lot of excitement. Barrie will want 7mil range and that won't look good now let alone how it'll age. Muzzin can likely be kept on board around 5mil per imo

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Depending on the contract. Barrie is looking more and more like a shorter term prove it deal. Or longer term at a bargain. Muzzin is solid and will get solid term and AAV.

IMO Muzzin's contract will not age well, whereas I think Barrie can show a lot more than what he currently has with the Leafs.

With Rielly and Dermott, and Sandin knocking on the door, I wouldn't re-sign Muzzin for what I would expect him to get on a contract. I would bring back Barrie personally on a cheaper, short to medium term deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad