Musk outlines plans to colonize Mars

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
The guy dreams big, no doubt about that.

I mean, his dreams are cool as hell, so I'm not complaining. "Mars Colonial Fleet" just sounds awesome as **** if nothing else.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
How would people spend their time during an 80 day flight to Mars?

Go flipping nuts. I mean this is why people in movies are always in some sort of hibernation. It takes a special kind of person to be stuck in a small area for any length of time. The is the issue facing NASA as they think about sending trained astronauts to Mars. Of course Musk is thinking bigger.

He states he wants tickets to come down in price to that of an average house in the U.S.

Cool stuff, I just hope somebody gets there in the next 15 years.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Go flipping nuts. I mean this is why people in movies are always in some sort of hibernation. It takes a special kind of person to be stuck in a small area for any length of time. The is the issue facing NASA as they think about sending trained astronauts to Mars. Of course Musk is thinking bigger.

He states he wants tickets to come down in price to that of an average house in the U.S.

Cool stuff, I just hope somebody gets there in the next 15 years.

He did speculate it would eventually take 30 days to get there. Of course, after a few disasters and scientific breakthroughs.

It's a shame we'll eventually have to colonize Mars due to all the damage we're doing to our own planet.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
He did speculate it would eventually take 30 days to get there. Of course, after a few disasters and scientific breakthroughs.

It's a shame we'll eventually have to colonize Mars due to all the damage we're doing to our own planet.

Well that's a long way off. It will be a while before Earth would be as inhospitable as Mars. I think the point is to branch out in the solar system and see if we can live off the resources of another planet. I've read some theories of starting a greenhouse effect on Mars to provide an atmosphere, in a way utilizing the negative on Earth as a positive there.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Well that's a long way off. It will be a while before Earth would be as inhospitable as Mars. I think the point is to branch out in the solar system and see if we can live off the resources of another planet. I've read some theories of starting a greenhouse effect on Mars to provide an atmosphere, in a way utilizing the negative on Earth as a positive there.

It's a long way off for our lifetimes, but if ghg emissions aren't reduced drastically by 2045, irreversible damage (think around 1000 years to remedy) will be done to our planet.

I'm not saying it will be inhospitable by that time either but you're going to see more frequent disasters like extreme heat events and floods which will cause droughts in a large portion of the world.

The Mars atm theory is cool though. It's something I should read up more on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad