Music: Music you hear before your 14th Bday will always be your favorite

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You’re a year older than me, so our taste in music might be similar. I listened to a lot of 90’s rock music, and still do. There were lots of rock bands during that era.

I was running out of hard drive space on my computer circa spring 1999, so I put all my mp3s on a CD (at the time, CD burners weren't standard, so I think I had to have my buddy do it for me). I still have that CD and it's an unintentional keepsake since it's a snapshot of what my hard drive looked like in the moment.

I didn't listen to much Led Zeppelin growing up, but I started to go back through their catalog at the time. I hated "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode when I was younger, but I started enjoying their stuff when I got to college.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Favourite albums as a 13-year old?

OK, but it may get ugly. I only bought my first album when I was 13. (And it didn't make the list...sorry, BTO)

Bob Dylan & The Band--Before The Flood
The Rolling Stones--Hot Rocks 1964-1971
Elton John--Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player
Supertramp--Crime of the Century
Peter Frampton--Frampton Comes Alive!
The Beatles--Abbey Road
Chicago--Chicago IX--Chicago's Greatest Hits
Electric Light Orchestra--A New World Record
Paul Simon--There Goes Rhymin' Simon
Nazareth--Razamanaz

Dylan's been my main man ever since. And the Stones have always been up there for me too. The rest lean heavily on nostalgia value for me now.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I've definitely drifted away from the music I loved when I was that age. I still listen to a few things, sure. I enjoy Guns n Roses, AC/DC and the like. But my favourite music is actually by Alexisonfire, who I absolutely hated when I was a kid.

My two favourite records back then were "Conspiracy of One" by The Offspring and "The End of All Things to Come" by Mudvayne. I don't listen to Mudvayne anymore and Conspiracy is one of my least favourite albums by The Offspring, I greatly prefer their first 4 albums.

To be fair though, I've grown to enjoy a lot of 90s era hip hop now because of the nostalgia, even though I didn't pay it much attention back then.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't think this applies to any dedicated music fans.

Casual music fans who use music as background or nostalgia-lube, sure.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I was running out of hard drive space on my computer circa spring 1999, so I put all my mp3s on a CD (at the time, CD burners weren't standard, so I think I had to have my buddy do it for me). I still have that CD and it's an unintentional keepsake since it's a snapshot of what my hard drive looked like in the moment.

This is OT, but I still have backups of my personal files that go back to the late 90s that I keep for little reason other than that, like you said, they're snapshots of what my hard drives looked like back then. It's a bit wild to look through them every now and then. Also, like you, I had a friend who had one of the first CD burners, back in 1997, I believe. I think that he paid $1000 for it and it could write at only single speed. The first CD that we burned with it was a collection of just about every DOS game that we had. Like you, I still have that CD. I'm not sure that it's still readable, since those first CDR discs were not made to last, especially the cheap ones (which were still something like $5 apiece), but it's a memento that I hang on to.

Reactions: Brodeur

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've definitely drifted away from the music I loved when I was that age. I still listen to a few things, sure. I enjoy Guns n Roses, AC/DC and the like. But my favourite music is actually by Alexisonfire, who I absolutely hated when I was a kid.

My two favourite records back then were "Conspiracy of One" by The Offspring and "The End of All Things to Come" by Mudvayne. I don't listen to Mudvayne anymore and Conspiracy is one of my least favourite albums by The Offspring, I greatly prefer their first 4 albums.

To be fair though, I've grown to enjoy a lot of 90s era hip hop now because of the nostalgia, even though I didn't pay it much attention back then.

I'm the same way. There are quite a few artists that I turned my nose up at when they were current that I can enjoy now, partly because of nostalgia and partly because I no longer feel a need to define myself and feel hip by hating on them. For example, I occasionally listen to and enjoy the Spice Girls and Britney Spears, whereas, 20 years ago, I felt that they were music that guys shouldn't like and I felt more strongly about the then-current music not being as good as the older stuff. As another example and since you mentioned 90s hip hop, I used to not like Will Smith's solo music, because it was too different from his 'Fresh Prince' style that I preferred, but I recently learned to like it. I'm not sure if it's just that time has passed or that I'm just more mature and don't care as much what people think (I did just admit to listening to the Spice Girls and Britney Spears, after all). Maybe it's some of both.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad