OT: Music Sharing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Beatles, Queen, Rolling Stones

Just specific to the punk genre but how do Green Day, Misfits, etc get on the list and the legendary Sex Pistols do not. The travesty.

Anyway my picks were hard. Had to whittle it down not to who might be my favorites as its too hard to pick. I kind of landed on which bands I wore out their vinyl recordings.

Pink Floyd, Led Zep, The Who.

I can't pick just 3 though and don't follow trivial rules. Black Sabbath, Beatles, Queen, Doors deserve to be on the list as well. Oh, and the Sex Pistols. ;)

No diss to the Stones either. One of my favorites, one of the best artists, just I never categorized myself as a Stone, I was a mod or rocker.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The start of punk? 1976 classic

The John Peel recording is different, sounds better, and more interesting drum changes.

Strong argument could also be made for this coming out strong as far back as 69. Obviously NSFW

If you hear either blaring on the street somewhere in Edmonton it could be me..

Or is it The Who in their masterful reworking of an Eddie Cochrane classic (1970)

All reminding the listener how Punk was basically a rock reworking. Even though there was so much disconnection between the tribes at the time there was so much similarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: MesstoFace11

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

GET DEAD - "Monte Carlo" - BRIDGE CITY SESSIONS

Heroes And Ghosts

Complete randomness. I could easily go off on a tangent here but most ain't down with the punk so whatever. If you are, rad and ill keep posting. If not, f*@k off. Just joking.. we all have different music opinions and mine is clearly in the minority, let's just all agree music is the best medicine and it gets us through almost anything

Half my buddy's in High School were Punkers, so even though I don't listen regularly, I like a lot of what I hear. Getting a sugar water setup for my long hair, going to SNFU, and being a "virgin" at the RHPS at the Princess and getting toast and rice bombs were a few highlights. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just specific to the punk genre but how do Green Day, Misfits, etc get on the list and the legendary Sex Pistols do not. The travesty.

Anyway my picks were hard. Had to whittle it down not to who might be my favorites as its too hard to pick. I kind of landed on which bands I wore out their vinyl recordings.

Pink Floyd, Led Zep, The Who.

I can't pick just 3 though and don't follow trivial rules. Black Sabbath, Beatles, Queen, Doors deserve to be on the list as well. Oh, and the Sex Pistols. ;)

No diss to the Stones either. One of my favorites, one of the best artists, just I never categorized myself as a Stone, I was a mod or rocker.
You really don't like Green Day, do you?:laugh:
Funny, because you and I seem to like a lot of other stuff. Maybe they stiffed you at a concert?:D

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Similarly, though perhaps less consequential, how do Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson not get on the list? Or the Eagles for that matter...

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Beatles, Queen, Rolling Stones

I'll take those three, but reverse Queen and the Stones.

The Beatles are the obvious #1 by a bullet. Changed music, fashion, slang, ideology, and did it all for nearly a decade. Never got stale, but you always knew it was their song. And amazingly, still highly relevant over 50 years after they broke up.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Half my buddy's in High School were Punkers, so even though I don't listen regularly, I like a lot of what I hear. Getting a sugar water setup for my long hair, going to SNFU, and being a "virgin" at the RHPS at the Princess and getting toast and rice bombs were a few highlights. ;)

I've read this a few times and still have no idea what any of it means. ;)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I've read this a few times and still have no idea what any of it means. ;)

They used to use sugar water in your hair to spike it.
SNFU was a local Punk band led by Chi Pig.
RHPC is The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Whenever they played it at a specific theater the crowd would act out the movie in the seats and on the stage. I mistakenly said the Princess (not sure) though. Maybe an old school punk from the 80's can help me with the right theater.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You really don't like Green Day, do you?:laugh:
Funny, because you and I seem to like a lot of other stuff. Maybe they stiffed you at a concert?:D

heh. I could never get over the guys voice. Sounds like such a wanker. But other people have that with John Lydon. Green Day to me always seem like punk for people that never really understood what the punk movement was about in the UK.

But its all that we have different tastes I guess. What I love about the Sex Pistols, The Clash, say even Dead Kennedys (my fave US punk band, is how it hits you in the gut. Listen to Green Day and it always seems so contrived. Formulaic, redundant. I respect things that came before, not as much after. Greenday was never punk, it was a ripoff of what punk was.

This captures it;

Johnny Rotten questions Green Day's punk credibility: "They’re coat hangers"

heh, flattering picture of Johnny Rotten..Oh, he hates Billy Idol too, I could see that, complete sell out.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Similarly, though perhaps less consequential, how do Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson not get on the list? Or the Eagles for that matter...

Yep. Every list is always a swiss cheese attempt. Usually its that the person that made the list totally forgot about all the artists. Often its all time centric and with a lot of biases in timeframe. Jethro tull never, never, makes any of these lists. They were acknowledged as probably the best band in the world artistically for quite some time. They were bigger than Queen. But one act transcended time better and theres no artists today constantly touting Tull as groundbreaking, even though they were.

Also, Dutch people and others would be wondering why Golden Earring doesn't make these lists. Artistically, musical chops, they'd mop the floor with a lot of these acts. They just weren't as recognized on this continent.

One obvious one you didn't mention either is Emerson Lake and Palmer. Or Moody Blues. Musically as good as any acts that have EVER existed.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yep. Every list is always a swiss cheese attempt. Usually its that the person that made the list totally forgot about all the artists. Often its all time centric and with a lot of biases in timeframe. Jethro tull never, never, makes any of these lists. They were acknowledged as probably the best band in the world artistically for quite some time. They were bigger than Queen. But one act transcended time better and theres no artists today constantly touting Tull as groundbreaking, even though they were.

Also, Dutch people and others would be wondering why Golden Earring doesn't make these lists. Artistically, musical chops, they'd mop the floor with a lot of these acts. They just weren't as recognized on this continent.

One obvious one you didn't mention either is Emerson Lake and Palmer. Or Moody Blues. Musically as good as any acts that have EVER existed.

Love all four of those bands you just mentioned. All should be on that list. I'd add Kansas and Supertramp to the notable absences list.

Edit: Cream might be the most notable absence of all...

Reactions: Drivesaitl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad