Music: Music Acts You Should Like But Don't

Crow

May 19, 2014
I love hard rock and classic rock, but Aerosmith just bore the pants off me.

I really should enjoy their music ...but I just can't get into it.
Came in here to say the same thing. I was so disappointed with a lot of replies though but why?

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Abruptum
Mutiilation
My Bloody Valentine
The Smiths
Ulver
Deathspell Omega
The Cocteau Twins
Xasthur
Krisiun

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Journey.

Good musicians, good sound, Steve Perry’s voice is amazing

I just think their songwriting is a step behind their contemporaries.

I actually prefer Steve Perry’s solo album to any Journey studio album

I’m a big fan of prog rock/prog metal but can’t stand Yes. I find the vocals annoying, and I don’t feel like their songs ever go anywhere.
The funniest description I’ve ever heard of Yes is that they sound like a tiny little miniature prog band

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Prog metal in general.

Dream Theater is my favorite band. I have a Dream Theater tattoo. You would think I'm into prog. It's probably my least listened to subgenre.

The only other prog metal band that I love is Opeth, but they're deathy, and kind of a different animal.

Any band somewhat similar to Dream Theater, I don't have the patience for. I guess it just feels like eating frozen ground beef when you've had the Wagyu.

I tried to get into Fates Warning and I couldn't get through two songs.
Might I suggest Haken. They’re the new (relatively) Dream Theater for me .

TheGreenTBer

Angry HFBoards Drama Queen since 2005
Apr 30, 2021
I like some classic rock but I absolutely hate Pink Floyd. I can't stand them. Aerosmith also applies but to a much lesser degree; I don't hate them but they just bore me. A modern equivalent would be Foo Fighters; if you look up "meh" in the dictionary it would just say "Foo Fighters."

Also, this is sacrilege in the 80's underground punk scene but I've never been the biggest fan of Rudimentary Peni.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I like some classic rock but I absolutely hate Pink Floyd. I can't stand them. Aerosmith also applies but to a much lesser degree; I don't hate them but they just bore me. A modern equivalent would be Foo Fighters; if you look up "meh" in the dictionary it would just say "Foo Fighters."

Also, this is sacrilege in the 80's underground punk scene but I've never been the biggest fan of Rudimentary Peni.

100%. Talk about a bland band.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
some kid once said to me well if your favorite band is led zep then you're also going to love greta van fleet. my reply was bless your heart.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Led Zeppelin

I never liked Robert Plant's vocals and it's a big part of the experience. I won't skip their songs if they come up in a randomized playlist but i won't listen to their music on purpose. It will just be background noise.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

Rudimentary Peni's early stuff is still sort of traditional punk in the sense of pure rock and roll, but overall, I think they're very unique for a punk band around the UK82 and hardcore at the time. I love how tight they are even when they speed up the tempos during their short songs. Cacophony (their third album) is sort of off-the-wall, but I like their stuff previous to that point.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I like progressive rock (Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ELP, etc). I also like hard rock and "classic" heavy metal (Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple). In theory, I should really like Rush.

Although I admire the band's technical skill, I'm indifferent to the majority of their albums. (I bought the Sector 1, 2 and 3 box sets a few years ago, which has their first 12 studio albums, and several live albums). For me, Rush occupies "no man's land". If I want to listen to something really experimental and/or technically complex, I'll listen to Yes (or similar). If I want to listen to something faster, heavier and more aggressive, I'll listen to Sabbath (or similar). I like some of the band's music, but I don't like them nearly as much as I'm "supposed to".

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Rush is a good one for me too. I usually like the instrumental parts of their songs but immediately get turned off by the vocals. I guess I’m fussy when it comes to vocals in general.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Rush is the band that I like among all of those. Though I do like King Crimson during a certain period (late 70’s early 80’s). I’m more of a punk, post-punk, new wave, no wave type guy… but I like Rush and I probably shouldn’t.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Rush is the band that I like among all of those. Though I do like King Crimson during a certain period (late 70’s early 80’s). I’m more of a punk, post-punk, new wave, no wave type guy… but I like Rush and I probably shouldn’t.
Late '70s King Crimson? 🤔

They broke up first in 1974 and then reformed in 1981 with Adrian Belew and Tony Levin as the new members (Bill Bruford, and of course Robert Fripp continued). I have to say that I prefer the late '60s and '70s KC versions, especially the one with John Wetton as singer/bassist (1972—74). The '80s one, I like only certain songs, like "Neal and Jack and Me".

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
St. Vincent

Nothing wrong with her, I’ll sit there and listen if she comes on, but I have no real reaction, just doesn’t hit fir me.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Radiohead and Deftones. I know the reason and it has nothing to do with the bands or the music and I also acknolwedge the unfairness, but when I started to get more into that general genre it was around the same time people started to get really aggresively, obnoxiously into both of these groups and that immediately turned me off.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I like progressive rock (Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, ELP, etc). I also like hard rock and "classic" heavy metal (Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple). In theory, I should really like Rush.

Although I admire the band's technical skill, I'm indifferent to the majority of their albums. (I bought the Sector 1, 2 and 3 box sets a few years ago, which has their first 12 studio albums, and several live albums). For me, Rush occupies "no man's land". If I want to listen to something really experimental and/or technically complex, I'll listen to Yes (or similar). If I want to listen to something faster, heavier and more aggressive, I'll listen to Sabbath (or similar). I like some of the band's music, but I don't like them nearly as much as I'm "supposed to".
Jesus, you really went for it!

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Late '70s King Crimson? 🤔

They broke up first in 1974 and then reformed in 1981 with Adrian Belew and Tony Levin as the new members (Bill Bruford, and of course Robert Fripp continued). I have to say that I prefer the late '60s and '70s KC versions, especially the one with John Wetton as singer/bassist (1972—74). The '80s one, I like only certain songs, like "Neal and Jack and Me".

Damn, was Red really released in the first half of the 70’s? My goodness! That’s the record I like most, then the ones from the 80’s. Not much else for. Their catalogue save for a handful of songs here and there, but Red… that’s a masterpiece.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad