Music: Music Acts You Should Like But Don't

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
According to your tastes, what are some music artists, or bands that you should like, but you just simply don't like them?

For me there are 3 immediately obvious answers, all 3 of which I've spent a good deal of time trying to get into them with no success at all.

1. Jesus and Mary Chain
2. The Replacements
3. The Pretenders

Just off the top of my head.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Solo Ozzy Osbourne.

I like Black Sabbath with Ozzy.

I like most 80s hair rock/metal with flashy guitarists.

But solo Ozzy just doesn't do it for me.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
I’m a big fan of prog rock/prog metal but can’t stand Yes. I find the vocals annoying, and I don’t feel like their songs ever go anywhere.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
A Tribe Called Quest... I'm huge on underground rap music, especially very lyrical artists like Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, CunninLynguists, etc. but for some reason I've never been able to get into Tribe.

I have a lot of respect for them and their contributions to hip hop, but I just was never super gripped by their music.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I’m a big fan of prog rock/prog metal but can’t stand Yes. I find the vocals annoying, and I don’t feel like their songs ever go anywhere.
for me it King Crimson. They do nothing for me at all.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The main one for me is The Smiths. It seems like everyone on my RYM compatibility list gives all their albums five stars, but everytime I've tried, their music is a chore to listen to..

I think a different lead singer might help.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Sparks.

I think I've tried three different times, but no, just no. A 1970s band (they're still together, of course), ambitious & artsy pop music... that sounds great on paper, but I still can't stand them. Must be Russell Mael's voice (mostly).

Hearing the early stuff from Queen made me finally like them a bit, so maybe I'd need to hear the right album(s). On the other hand, I've already tried many of those records that are considered their classics, so I guess I just don't like the friggin' Sparks!

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
The Beatles are probably my favourite band of all-time yet I have a hard time enjoying anything from the band members’ post-Beatles careers (outside of Imagine, My Sweet Lord, Band on the Run and Maybe I’m Amazed - live version from Wings Over America).

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Sparks.

I think I've tried three different times, but no, just no. A 1970s band (they're still together, of course), ambitious & artsy pop music... that sounds great on paper, but I still can't stand them. Must be Russell Mael's voice (mostly).

Hearing the early stuff from Queen made me finally like them a bit, so maybe I'd need to hear the right album(s). On the other hand, I've already tried many of those records that are considered their classics, so I guess I just don't like the friggin' Sparks!

I'm kind of that way with Sparks too, though I do like a few songs, but generally I find them a difficult listen. If I'm in the exact right mood, I can give them a try and enjoy it, but it's extraordinarily rare that happens.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
The Beatles are probably my favourite band of all-time yet I have a hard time enjoying anything from the band members’ post-Beatles careers (outside of Imagine, My Sweet Lord, Band on the Run and Maybe I’m Amazed - live version from Wings Over America).

I think a lot of people are that way. I'm not a huge Beatles fan, but I do like them. Aside from a few Paul solo or Wings songs, I can't say I find any of their solo output something I enjoy.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Same here. I don't mind then but I don't think they're anywhere near as good as some metal fans think they are.

For me, its Slayer. Never got into them.
I was the same when I was younger. Loved Metallica and Megadeth but couldn't get into Slayer although I never really gave them a proper chance. In my late 20's I fell in love with Slayer though and would probably say their best stuff is on par if not better than the two aforementioned bands.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Same here. I don't mind then but I don't think they're anywhere near as good as some metal fans think they are.

Opeth is a versatile bunch of musicians, and that really shines through in their music, giving them a pretty unique sound. As a young guitar player, I was always extremely inspired by their music and they helped me develop a deeper appreciation for both metal and classical music.

That being said I can understand why they’re not everyone’s cup of tea. Their dynamics can be all over the place.

Reactions: barriers

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Opeth is a versatile bunch of musicians, and that really shines through in their music, giving them a pretty unique sound. As a young guitar player, I was always extremely inspired by their music and they helped me develop a deeper appreciation for both metal and classical music.

That being said I can understand why they’re not everyone’s cup of tea. Their dynamics can be all over the place.
Oh I completely agree that they're very talented musicians and like I said I don't mind their stuff, just not crazy about it like some fans are. But yeah their talent is very apparent when listening to them.

Reactions: phrenssoa

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Prog metal in general.

Dream Theater is my favorite band. I have a Dream Theater tattoo. You would think I'm into prog. It's probably my least listened to subgenre.

The only other prog metal band that I love is Opeth, but they're deathy, and kind of a different animal.

Any band somewhat similar to Dream Theater, I don't have the patience for. I guess it just feels like eating frozen ground beef when you've had the Wagyu.

I tried to get into Fates Warning and I couldn't get through two songs.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
I love hard rock and classic rock, but Aerosmith just bore the pants off me.

I really should enjoy their music ...but I just can't get into it.

Reactions: Neil Racki and Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad