Murray's Mindset

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Reinhart turns 20 on 11/6/2015, so he could get sent to Rochester after a month on the roster. He doesn't necessarily have to make the team. It might be a painfully slow process to put him through, but it may be best for him to play men in the AHL for a few months or even longer.

He can be sent to Rochester right at the start just like Carrier was this season (December birthday). He has put in 4 yrs CHL and turns 20 by the end of year means he is AHL eligible at the start.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I could see Murray kicking one of those 1sts down the road only if he first tries to move up and/or move them for prospects or NHLers and fails.

Murray was unable to move his 3 2nds last year for a mid to late 1st.

Just because he might want to move the Isles and/or the Blues 1st doesn't mean that he finds a deal that he likes.

part of the reason he couldnt move his 2nds this year was because many teams felt the talent dropped considerably after the 1st round--so a mid 2nd in other draft years was more like a mid 4rd.

In 2015 the draft appears to be much deeper so trading down and getting an extra [ick is worth more in 2015, Murray shouldnt have anb issue trading STL #1 + one of their 2nds to move up spots.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If we get McEichel, we already have three NHL centers locked-in, IMO. Girgensons, McEichel, and Reinhart. Doesn't leave much room to add centers in free agency. If we want to add veterans through FA or trade, it should be on the wing.

Just don't see any way that Reinhart is not in the NHL next season, provided he follows Murray's directive to add strength and weight. He was the top forward selected in his draft class - which means that he is already unusual in being sent back to Junior after the draft. There's no way he's going to be sent down for two years running.

I really think Grigorenko will be up next season too, though maybe they won't be able to slot him in at center. Maybe try him on the wing.

I'm not excited to have those three be are top centers next year. I want at least one good vet who lets McEichel or Reinhart start on the wing.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
That's exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. Why would we deliberately set our timeline back? If anything, Murray should be looking at moving some picks for players.

Because then you have extra ammo in two years when we're ready to make our big move

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wasn't saying that only the 1st's would be in play. We have so many prospects and young talent that we could package together. A bunch of us on here we're proposing deals like STL 1st, Compher, Pysyk/McCabe for O'Reilly, for example.

I also don't think Murray's going to wait until Reinhart and our 2015 1st this year mature before making that type of deal. If anything, he'd make the deal sooner (at the draft), to both improve the team now and help develop guys like Reinhart and the 2015 1st.

Young players need established vets to take pressure off of them to develop properly. I want Reinhart, Armia, Grigs, 2015 1st, etc. playing sheltered 3rd line minutes next year so they build confidence and aren't burdened with roles they can't handle.

Maybe, but I still think that Murray waits another year before making a deal that moves multiple picks and prospects for a guy like ROR.

The tricky part is that we don't really know how much Murray values guys like Compher, McCabe, Pysyk, etc.

Perhaps he isn't enamored with them as they aren't "his guys". But, that bucket is rather large at this point and I don't think that he's some of the kids that aren't "his guys", either.

It would be interesting to see if he can pull off a big deal sooner rather than later. But, I'm not expecting it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
part of the reason he couldnt move his 2nds this year was because many teams felt the talent dropped considerably after the 1st round--so a mid 2nd in other draft years was more like a mid 4rd.

In 2015 the draft appears to be much deeper so trading down and getting an extra [ick is worth more in 2015, Murray shouldnt have anb issue trading STL #1 + one of their 2nds to move up spots.

It all depends on where those picks land and if he finds a team that lands in a sweet spot where all the guys they want go right in from of them and they are looking to move back or there is a team that is locked into a guy that they feel will fall.

That is always a lottery with regards to those things falling just right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad